MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sony vaio screen problems Qadd Computers & Tech 5 09-08-2010 11:48 PM
Mac vs Windows Jeger First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 18 07-20-2010 02:39 PM
Convert Glossy screen to Matte? Allan General Discussion 5 08-22-2009 11:29 AM
What screen size do you prefer/have for a laptop? kanishka General Discussion 19 07-08-2009 11:35 PM
Flat-screen monitor ladyh General Discussion 5 01-08-2008 11:28 PM

Windows 7 Welcome Screen

Old 07-20-2010 at 02:30 PM   #1
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Windows 7 Welcome Screen
When I first turned on my laptop, the welcome screen was a gray-black colour. Just yesterday I turned on my computer and it became this sky blue colour with a sort of flower on it.

What the heck happened? It's really bothering me and I want the black bg back...

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2010 at 02:37 PM   #2
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

mine has always been blue with a flower
Old 07-20-2010 at 03:49 PM   #3
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

enjoy: http://www.stardock.com/products/logonstudio/

Desda says thanks to blackdragon for this post.
Old 07-20-2010 at 04:26 PM   #4
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
I just change it using the registry... third party programs give me the heebee-jeebees...

Old 07-20-2010 at 04:30 PM   #5
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
I just change it using the registry... third party programs give me the heebee-jeebees...

Lol i guess, but most users dont know how to find the entry in the registry, let along access the registry.

i personally use that program, no issues encountered
Old 07-20-2010 at 05:19 PM   #6
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Throw this in a file and give a *.reg extension (so something like logon.reg)
HTML Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background] "OEMBackground"=dword:00000001
Then throw a file of your choosing, less than 256 kb and of the same size as your monitor's resolution in
HTML Code:
%windir%\system32\oobe\info\backgrounds
Then double click logon.reg and voila!

Desda says thanks to DannyV for this post.
Old 07-20-2010 at 07:49 PM   #7
PhilipD

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
Throw this in a file and give a *.reg extension (so something like logon.reg)
HTML Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background] "OEMBackground"=dword:00000001
Then throw a file of your choosing, less than 256 kb and of the same size as your monitor's resolution in
HTML Code:
%windir%\system32\oobe\info\backgrounds
Then double click logon.reg and voila!
Almost right , make sure you save the image as a jpeg, and that it's less than 256 KB. The filename must be backgroundDefault.jpg . It'll look best if it's cropped to your screen size.

Also, for sake of simplicity, the folder to save it in is: C:\Windows\system32\o obe\info\backgrounds (you might have to create info and backgrounds yourself).
Old 07-20-2010 at 11:53 PM   #8
Desda
Elite Member

Erm, thanks guys, but I'm not asking about how to change the login screen background...

I'm asking WHY it suddenly changed on me. It was always this black bg until yesterday. That bothers me. Is something messed up in my laptop...?

Ty!
Old 07-21-2010 at 12:04 AM   #9
mattfielding

Did you recently update your computer (or have Windows 7 automatically update)? It could be possible that an update overwrote your settings or registry to show the original Windows 7 logon screen. Had it always been that grey-black colour before or just the one time?

Desda says thanks to mattfielding for this post.
Old 07-21-2010 at 12:04 AM   #10
blackdragon
Elite Member

What do you mean by "black screen", are you talking about the screen when windows is booting? try to find a picture on google to reference what you mean
Old 07-21-2010 at 04:27 AM   #11
TheMist

Liked: 3 Times

Is it a new laptop? That might help since most of the new laptops have sort of a "welcome" screen that usually appears upon first boot and never comes again.

Desda says thanks to TheMist for this post.
Old 07-21-2010 at 08:16 AM   #12
PhilipD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
Erm, thanks guys, but I'm not asking about how to change the login screen background...

I'm asking WHY it suddenly changed on me. It was always this black bg until yesterday. That bothers me. Is something messed up in my laptop...?

Ty!
Nothing is messed up with your computer, it just had the welcome screen reset to the default. This has happened on my laptop on a few occasions, usually an update does it for some reason. =/ I got my old welcome screen back by doing what DannyV suggested in step one.

Basically, just open notepad, paste the following into it:

Code:
Save it so that it has a .reg extension. Watch out because it may save it as .reg.txt, which won't work. Then double click the file to run it. The cancel or allow box will pop up, make sure you allow it. If that was the problem, you should have your old logon screen restored!

Desda says thanks to PhilipD for this post.
Old 07-21-2010 at 08:35 AM   #13
Desda
Elite Member

Thanksss everyone again

It's a new laptop and I did recently update Windows...so that's probably why. I can't find a picture of how my welcome screen background used to look... It wasn't a solid grayish black colour though. It had like...swirls in it. Anyway, the problem seems pretty much solved now. Thanks for the code stuff too. <3