MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sony vaio screen problems Qadd Computers & Tech 5 09-08-2010 11:48 PM
Windows 7 Welcome Screen Desda Computers & Tech 12 07-21-2010 08:35 AM
Convert Glossy screen to Matte? Allan General Discussion 5 08-22-2009 11:29 AM
What screen size do you prefer/have for a laptop? kanishka General Discussion 19 07-08-2009 11:35 PM
Flat Tuition Fees @ UofT jhan523 General Discussion 17 06-10-2009 01:27 PM

Flat-screen monitor

Old 08-05-2007 at 12:36 AM   #1
ladyh

Liked: 25 Times

Flat-screen monitor
For those of us who won't be getting a laptop this fall [*sob*], how important would it be to get a flat-screen monitor? Does it really make a huge difference, when it comes to saving space, or will a regular old huge bulky monitor not take up that much space anyway?

I'm buying a new computer for this coming year, and I don't know whether or not it's worth to spend the extra for the flat-screen monitor.
Old 08-05-2007 at 01:37 AM   #2
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

LCD flat monitor vs. a CRT 'chunky' monitor... I must say there is a HUGE difference.. not only in size but in quality of picture and eye strain! LCD's are soooo much crisper and easier on the eyes, they also don't radiate heat as much. If you use an LCD flat monitor you'll never go back to a CRT one, and when you do the CRT will look blurry and nasty once you get used to the LCD

Other than that, size is of course an obvious advantage. However, I've seen people in dorms with a CRT monitor in the corner of their desk and it fits just fine. So it isn't an issue to bring a CRT. I'd buy it not for the size, but because it will save you a lot of late night headaches when you've been staring at it for hours typing up an essay paper since LCD's tend to cause less headaches (at least for me!)
Old 08-05-2007 at 01:38 AM   #3
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

I know I over advertise these guys, but FactoryDirect is one of my new fav. stores. They are in Hamilton (upper james) and they sell monitors... LCD ones.. and are the cheapest you'll find. So if you have $150... go for it and get a 17inch LCD

http://factorydirect.ca/catalog/cate...php?cat =1420
Old 08-05-2007 at 11:03 AM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

I have a massive monitor for my compooper which in res i found to be fine. However, when I bought a desk for my student house, it got super crammed. There was supposed to be a switcheroo with my parents LCD monitor...but then my dad changed his mind. :(
Old 08-19-2007 at 08:33 PM   #5
weird_chick

Liked: 0 Times

LCD's kick regular monitors "behind" when it comes to image quality and eye vision.After straining my eyes for years on regular screens, I luvvv a screen that's light and doesn;t radiate me to death. You'll spend more money on a flat screen, but you'll spare yourself headaches.
Old 01-08-2008 at 11:28 PM   #6
panic_attack

Liked: 0 Times

CanadaComputers.com has a huge selection of monitors for pretty low prices
they have a store located on King and Dundurn (where the old fortinos is)