MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
minitab for macbook?? macbaby07 Academics 2 09-14-2011 08:07 PM
Does anyone have a macbook air? what do u think of it? fatcat General Discussion 25 08-26-2011 07:16 PM
Macbook Help Dylicious Computers & Tech 6 03-25-2011 05:24 PM
Macbook mfattal General Discussion 43 02-16-2011 05:56 AM

Macbook Air vs Macbook Pro?

Old 10-25-2013 at 11:47 PM   #1
ta2012

Liked: 36 Times

Macbook Air vs Macbook Pro?
I'm deciding between Air and Pro.
I'm mostly going to be using it for school purposes, but I can't really tell which one is better because their features looked so different.

Any recommendations ..??
Old 10-26-2013 at 12:00 AM   #2
exuberant888

Liked: 55 Times

What kind of macbook pro were you considering? The regular ones, or the ones with retina display?
Old 10-26-2013 at 12:01 AM   #3
ta2012

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by exuberant888 View Post
What kind of macbook pro were you considering? The regular ones, or the ones with retina display?
I'm thinking of getting the ones with retina display
Old 10-26-2013 at 12:17 AM   #4
exuberant888

Liked: 55 Times

I personally have the new 13 inch macbook air, and I find that it is very good for schoolwork/web-surfing/video playback. Plus, I have 12 hours of battery life, which is pretty amazing since I never have to worry about finding outlets to charge my laptop (we all know that outlets are sometimes hard to come by). Unless you are going to be doing a lot of photo/video editing or other multimedia tasks, I personally don't think the retina screen is really a necessity (although they do look really nice).

ta2012 says thanks to exuberant888 for this post.
Old 10-26-2013 at 10:03 AM   #5
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 133 Times

Air
Pros:
- Great portability
- Amazing battery life
- Amazing design (mind you, the pro looks fantastic as well)
- Very quiet fan, even when working hard

Cons:
- No retina display (I still find the screen quality to be amazing on it though)

Pro
Pros:
- More powerful computer
- Beautiful retina display

Cons:
- Worse battery life
- Heavier than the air
- Can get a lot hotter and the fan can get a bit noisy

Reasons to get an Air over a Pro:
- You prefer portability, a long lasting battery, and a stunning computer that doesn't get noisy when in heavy use

Reasons to get a Pro over an Air:
- You prefer maximum performance, including a high quality display, and use your computer for heavier applications

The Verdict:
I personally went with an Air, mind you, this was before they had cheeper Pro's with Retina displays. I love my Air and to be honest your really can't go wrong with either. It depends on how you want to use the computer but I really like the Air's light body with quiet components, that will last forever when I take it out for the day. Some people like having a more capable computer in terms of hardware so they prefer the air to get maximum performance when using more demanding applications. The computers are getting more and more similar so it's less of a big deal now. My only other points I'd like to ad are: I find the black bevel around the Pro screens to be much less attractive than the Air's, which stays consistent with colour of the rest of the computer. Also, you may hear rumours about durability...Through personal use and research, I have found the Air to be a very durable computer. Just through visual observation, I have seen many more Pros that have been dented than Airs (but I do know more people with Pro's). It might be because the Air is much lighter and it's body is structured quiet well. I have unfortunately dropped my Air on concrete several times (and it definitely hit hard!), and only very minor exterior damage was made, nothing bad at all.

The choice is yours based on preference, you can't go wrong with either!

ta2012 says thanks to Commie42 for this post.

Chad likes this.
Old 10-26-2013 at 11:11 AM   #6
Jesse.C
Account Locked

Liked: 32 Times

why does everyone want apple?

alyssarr likes this.
Old 10-26-2013 at 12:25 PM   #7
airvcarmelo

Liked: 42 Times

The macbook pro battery life is still very good. Its just not as a good as the air. I prefer the pro because of the added memory - I like to keep my songs on my laptop rather than a portable hard drive. The good thing about the macbook air is they have a solid state hard drive so its not harmful to your hard drive if you move your computer around while its on.
Old 10-26-2013 at 12:49 PM   #8
Brendan

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by airvcarmelo View Post
The macbook pro battery life is still very good. Its just not as a good as the air. I prefer the pro because of the added memory - I like to keep my songs on my laptop rather than a portable hard drive. The good thing about the macbook air is they have a solid state hard drive so its not harmful to your hard drive if you move your computer around while its on.
The new Pros have SSDs. Also, you can increase the Air's memory from 4gb to 8gb if you order online.
Old 10-27-2013 at 01:45 PM   #9
raptorboi

Liked: 6 Times

I hate macs but go with the air...faster start up time
Old 10-27-2013 at 05:17 PM   #10
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

I got the pro just because i wanted a disc drive I'm old school that way.
Old 10-27-2013 at 06:20 PM   #11
nikJ

Liked: 85 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse.C View Post
Keeps the doctor away, dude..

Ponyo likes this.
Old 10-27-2013 at 06:26 PM   #12
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 133 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
I got the pro just because i wanted a disc drive I'm old school that way.
No more disk drives in pros. Optical drives are becoming obsolete.
Old 10-28-2013 at 11:43 AM   #13
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse.C View Post
Because dumbass Windows 8 is pushing PC design into a stupid place. A majority of the newer Haswell ultrabooks coming from PC manufacturers force you to get a touch screen, since some idiot at Microsoft decided that's how everyone should use laptops now.

As much as I dislike Apple for their expensive computers, I've got to hand it to them... they're doing a much better job than their competitors. OS X is super fine tuned to work on their hardware... hell... OS X runs even better than Windows on a Hackintosh I find. Everything does kind of "just work", and it's very easy to get support in case something breaks since Apple stores are pretty much ubiquitous now.

I personally just bought a Haswell Macbook Pro with retina after seeing the new line-up of shite coming from the PC world. I think I'll wait until Microsoft and Windows eventually become irrelevant (trust me, it will) and PC manufacturing stops being "made for Windows" before I return.

Afzal, Yogurt like this.
Old 10-28-2013 at 06:39 PM   #14
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
As much as I dislike Apple for their expensive computers
I'm in the market for a Macbook Air after looking at all the options for ~$1000 Windows laptops. The Macbooks are easily the best bang for your buck in their price range.

Yogurt likes this.
Old 10-29-2013 at 09:28 AM   #15
Yogurt

Liked: 237 Times

Honestly, after the latest refresh, the gap between the Air and the Pro isn't that large anymore.

If you want some serious battery life (we're talking 12-15 hours non-stop), go with the 13-inch Air. The Pro is quite a bit more powerful and 2560 by 1600 pixels on a 13-inch screen would look absolutely gorgeous. If gaming is your thing, you wouldn't even need to run game with antialiasing on because of that pixel density. The weight difference between the two shouldn't be an issue.

If all you do is browse the internet, watch movies, work with documents, and do school work on your computer, get the Air. If not, get the Pro. The only problem might be cost. The baseline Pro comes with only 128GB of storage, which isn't much. The price of the 256GB model is $1549, which is quite costly.