MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
macinsiders ftw! lawleypop General Discussion 48 04-23-2010 08:32 PM
A Monster Love Story of Cultural Proportions Chad MacInsiders Announcements 5 01-07-2008 09:04 AM
Mike Long - Dancing Project Chad ARCHIVES 0 10-30-2007 04:30 PM
All About MacInsiders Chad General Discussion 4 08-01-2007 11:55 PM
All About MacInsiders Chad MacInsiders 2 08-01-2007 08:31 AM

Macinsiders Get-together of Mike-tastic proportions

Old 08-16-2009 at 02:19 PM   #1
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Macinsiders Get-together of Mike-tastic proportions
I've alluded to this numerous times, and I think it's a reasonable enough time to start making plans for a macinsiders get-together of epic proportions once the year begins.

So what is the idea, in a perfect world kinda scenario?

First and foremost, I'd like to get to know the faces behind the usernames (just how homely and unattractive is this Mowicz guy?) (: I think a night out on the town with some Macinsiders people (who I'm sure are awesomely outrageous) is in order...anything from a quiet get-together at a coffee place, to a bar (like Phoenix?), to a nightclub, whatever people are in the mood for, and whatever people are comfortable with. I'd enjoy just about anything in good company (:

Personally, I'd rather do something the week before welcome week, so we (and in particular first years) could start building our networks and getting to know Hamilton nice and early...I also understand that the welcome week festivities are prescribed for the entire week so we'd have to choose not to do something in order to fit this in. However I realize that many people don't move in until the 5th and 6th, so this may be an issue.

In the words of Huzaifa, we must be the change we wish to see in the world. :p Let's brainstorm!

Old 08-16-2009 at 02:26 PM   #2
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Won't some first years feel left out at a bar (well, this is assuming they're law-abiding citizens who don't drink till they're 19 )
Old 08-16-2009 at 03:02 PM   #3
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

yay! =)

Everyone will have to wear nametags that have their usernames on them haha

In the past, MI has helped with events that were fundraisers too.. maybe we could do another such shindig!

mcinside, resh.jyoti like this.
Old 08-16-2009 at 03:10 PM   #4
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

Depending on the timing and other things, we could even try that new E place that is opening on campus.
Old 08-16-2009 at 03:11 PM   #5
adrian
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by temara.brown View Post
yay! =)

Everyone will have to wear nametags that have their usernames on them haha

In the past, MI has helped with events that were fundraisers too.. maybe we could do another such shindig!
Ye, but I don't wanna work
Old 08-16-2009 at 03:25 PM   #6
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I'm so in!

So like, I think the place we meet up should be something like... low key, but not so much that there isn't anything to do should things get awkward. Haha, I mean, I like you guys a lot and all, but meeting people you know but don't know is interesting.

I've never been to the Phoenix, what's it like? I'm not sure about meeting at someplace like 1280 (which won't be open before WW anyway).
Old 08-16-2009 at 03:27 PM   #7
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post

In the words of Huzaifa, we must be the change we wish to see in the world. :p Let's brainstorm!
LOL *facepalm* has that become my trademark catchphrase around here or what?

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 08-16-2009 at 03:28 PM   #8
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

I have this strange feeling that everyone's going to say they're going, and then only two or three people are going to show up; just like the DC++ meet ups.
Old 08-16-2009 at 03:30 PM   #9
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Haha, I mean, I like you guys a lot and all, but meeting people you know but don't know is interesting.
Yeah, it was pretty similar with how I met with most of my friends in first year (I'm quite antisocial offline)... v_v

I usually don't go to clubs / bars so I would like checking out that Phoenix place too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I have this strange feeling that everyone's going to say they're going, and then only two or three people are going to show up; just like the DC++ meet ups.
Really? The first DC meetup I went to had like 8 or 9 people and there are a bunch of times where at least 5 of us hung out =/
Old 08-16-2009 at 03:34 PM   #10
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF_CHAN View Post
Really? The first DC meetup I went to had like 8 or 9 people and there are a bunch of times where at least 5 of us hung out =/
Oh, that's just what my friend who lived on campus told me. Maybe it was only the earlier ones in the year that failed, lol.
Old 08-16-2009 at 03:44 PM   #11
adrian
Elite Member

Quote:
Yep, or many other clubs >:(
Im in if thar be mateys to drink with
Old 08-16-2009 at 03:46 PM   #12
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF_CHAN View Post
Yeah, it was pretty similar with how I met with most of my friends in first year (I'm quite antisocial offline)... v_v
Yeah, I'm shy around people I don't know, but somewhat of a basketcase (in a good way) around friends.

Quote:
Thaaat would be unfortunate, and I could see that happening too, but it would have to be a time where everyone's like available and interested - and someone comes along with ice breakers. Ice breakers are fun, everyone loves those. =D
Old 08-16-2009 at 03:47 PM   #13
adrian
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Yeah, I'm shy around people I don't know, but somewhat of a basketcase (in a good way) around friends.

Thaaat would be unfortunate, and I could see that happening too, but it would have to be a time where everyone's like available and interesting - and someone comes along with ice breakers. Ice breakers are fun, everyone loves those. =D
lol, icebreakers
Old 08-16-2009 at 03:56 PM   #14
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Lots of incoming first years won't be able to come to mac until they move in, though....

We'd have to do it another time
Old 08-16-2009 at 03:57 PM   #15
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
LOL *facepalm* has that become my trademark catchphrase around here or what?
Yes...yes it has. :p

--------------

A good chunk of us are probably anti-social, myself included haha. It'd be a good 'new years resolution' to make an effort to be more social...that's what I'd like to do haha.

That's what'll make it so primo. I mean, should only 3 people show up, it'd be unfortunate, but those 3 will likely have a great time and get to know each other quite well.

The Phoenix has a similar feel to Quarters...it's a pub/restaurant with a billiard room, and is (or was) informally called the "Graduate Students' Quarters." It's not just for grad students, but grad students tend to hang out there since the atmosphere's a bit nicer than quarters and more suitable for conversation. I don't quite know what it's like at night though, I've only been there a few times...but it's very pleasant to just chill during the day. (:

What about the Games Room? Anyone know if that'll be open?