MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Major and Minor and how do they work? arastu16 Academics 4 12-29-2012 03:51 AM
Is major mentioned on degree? Thinker Academics 0 08-23-2012 02:22 PM
Difference between a Major and a Combined degree AwS92 Academics 4 06-02-2011 05:54 AM
Setting up your degree (minor)? bellaaa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 33 07-02-2009 10:32 PM
Major, Minor... Almurnith First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 08-24-2008 01:31 PM

major/minor degree; help needed

Old 01-22-2013 at 03:31 PM   #1
PJRG

Liked: 0 Times

major/minor degree; help needed
Hey MacInsiders,

My name Pat and I'm a first year life sci student. I've been thinking, and I've decided I'd like to get a minor in French (language, so I guess that would be in humanities...?) on top on my major B.Sc in science. I have no idea on how to pursue this; I'm really uneducated when it comes to this. I've tried switching my courses and taking some French, but they were all full.
I'm asking for honest guidance, and if anyone has the time to give me a somewhat detailed explanation on what I should do (if questions such as what course requirements are the required for them minor, what courses I have to take, how many years will this add, will it interfere for co-op 3rd year, etc. were answered, that'd be awesome). I've to find some kind of link for this online but I have not come across anything yet.

So if anyone can help me out here, it'd be greatly appreciated!
Thank you in advance for your time!!

Pat
Old 01-22-2013 at 04:18 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJRG View Post
Hey MacInsiders,

My name Pat and I'm a first year life sci student. I've been thinking, and I've decided I'd like to get a minor in French (language, so I guess that would be in humanities...?) on top on my major B.Sc in science. I have no idea on how to pursue this; I'm really uneducated when it comes to this. I've tried switching my courses and taking some French, but they were all full.
I'm asking for honest guidance, and if anyone has the time to give me a somewhat detailed explanation on what I should do (if questions such as what course requirements are the required for them minor, what courses I have to take, how many years will this add, will it interfere for co-op 3rd year, etc. were answered, that'd be awesome). I've to find some kind of link for this online but I have not come across anything yet.

So if anyone can help me out here, it'd be greatly appreciated!
Thank you in advance for your time!!

Pat
You should consult the course calendar. It details all the requirements you need for a minor in French. How long it will take you depends how much elective space you have and how many units are required for the minor. It will only interfere with co-op if the co-op sequence prevents you from taking the required courses due to needing to take them at a certain time/in a certain sequence.

The course calendar is really your best bet, though. It takes some research and time to figure things out on your part, but since everyone's situation is different that's really the only way to do it.
Old 01-24-2013 at 08:55 PM   #3
zwitter

Liked: 15 Times

Someone in life sci will have NO struggle finding enough elective space.....

L'Étoile likes this.
Old 01-24-2013 at 09:01 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwitter View Post
Someone in life sci will have NO struggle finding enough elective space.....
The OP is in first year life sci, that's not necessarily the program they'll stay in. Actually, if co-op is the plan, then they can't stay in life sci. Only the more specialized programs have co-op options.
Old 01-25-2013 at 10:23 AM   #5
Incognitus

Liked: 19 Times

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...13/pg2276.html

So long as you take 24 units of French as outlined in that link, you will have the necessary courses for a minor. When it comes time to graduate, you "apply" for consideration of all majors and minors (ie. they will check that you satisfy the requirements. They don't automatically consider everyone for every possible major/minor and must be informed).

My advice would be to check whether or not your desired program has at least 24 units of elective space in upper years, and if not, to take some in the summer.