MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OSAP and extra money. SandraM Financial Aid 5 08-24-2010 08:24 PM
Extra Long Beds in the dorms? Danielle.g First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 07-31-2010 08:26 PM
Be extra careful going home this holiday season jef1jas30 General Discussion 2 12-17-2008 08:00 AM
extra charges? moskal89 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 11-08-2008 11:43 PM
Is it usual for people to do extra years of undergrad? sinthusized First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-20-2008 07:17 PM

Making Extra Money

Old 07-12-2009 at 08:25 PM   #16
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Fake. I don't believe the computer, if its true, post system specs pic.

Old 07-12-2009 at 09:12 PM   #17
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

12 GB of RAM!?!?!

Dude that is insane. The most computers offer right now is 4GB which is optional. Unless your going to be running over 15 applications at once which is some crazy multitasking you don't need that much RAM!!! Like WOAH!! You gotta tell me what your going to do with all that. All the other specs look pretty pro.
Old 07-12-2009 at 09:14 PM   #18
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby66 View Post
Fake. I don't believe the computer, if its true, post system specs pic.
Why wouldn't you believe it? It's obvious he's building his own computer, so he can definitely put that equipment in it.

Whether there is actually a point to having 12 gigs of ram is an entirely different issue however.
Old 07-12-2009 at 09:21 PM   #19
Bobby66
was offline, but

Then its going to be 4x3GB of ddr3-1600 9-9-9-24.
That is just crazy.

Old 07-12-2009 at 09:23 PM   #20
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
That is just crazy.
Or three 4 gig sticks.

Either way you slice it though, it's way way way way way......x10000000 way overkill.

My computer is a 2.5ghz Quad with 4 gigs of ram and 1 gig of graphics. And that's pretty much overkill for 99% of things, barring insane rendering or playing crysis on full graphics.
Old 07-12-2009 at 09:24 PM   #21
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
That is just crazy.

DUH!!!

Building a computer these day's is useless. You can buy one for a decent price and upgrade it yourself. Its not even worth it to build your own computer. Costs like 3x much as a regular market computer and the hours spent in building isn't worth it.
Old 07-12-2009 at 09:28 PM   #22
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelp View Post
12 GB of RAM!?!?!

Dude that is insane. The most computers offer right now is 4GB which is optional. Unless your going to be running over 15 applications at once which is some crazy multitasking you don't need that much RAM!!! Like WOAH!! You gotta tell me what your going to do with all that. All the other specs look pretty pro.
Computers will run more than 4 GB. It depends on the system and OS though. 32 bit systems will only support up to 4 GB, but 64 bit OS's can support exponentially more. Mac Pros can ship from the factory with up to 32 GB, and Windows 7 64 bit, in some versions can support up to 192 GB of RAM. Why anyone would ever need that much I'll never know. But it's possible.
Old 07-12-2009 at 09:34 PM   #23
Alvand

Liked: 39 Times

Mike, did you know that the McMaster Students Union hires undergrad students for a lot of student jobs at Mac? You can get a job with one of the student-operated services and business around campus. Check out the jobs section of the MSU's website for current position openings. The page is often updated with openings throughout the year, but now is the best time to land one for the upcoming year!

If you feel like your resume doesn't do you justice, you can always go to Career Services for their clinics on resume help and other career-related info!

Also, don't bother looking on craigslist for jobs because they will all give you spam email returns.

Good luck and have fun searching!

Cootes Paradise Club Leader
MacTV Executive Producer

Last edited by Alvand : 07-12-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 07-12-2009 at 10:00 PM   #24
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Computers will run more than 4 GB. It depends on the system and OS though. 32 bit systems will only support up to 4 GB, but 64 bit OS's can support exponentially more. Mac Pros can ship from the factory with up to 32 GB, and Windows 7 64 bit, in some versions can support up to 192 GB of RAM. Why anyone would ever need that much I'll never know. But it's possible.
Probably not meant for personal use...
Old 07-12-2009 at 10:11 PM   #25
mcinside
Elite Member

Liked: 23 Times

So, let's now go from computers to making money
Just wanted to know if it is advisable to work during first year, considering one has to deal with all that work, stress, homework etc.
Old 07-13-2009 at 04:09 AM   #26
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Lol, I love how this split into computers AND making money.

I agree with mcinside's question. Its a good one for sure. I am hesitant on getting a committed job first year, and probably wont do it even if some of you say that you DID, and would recommend it... But I think it is still interesting to hear where you guys got your first year jobs, and give us a rating on its ease. Maybe I take that tip into second year.

AS FOR THE COMPUTER, It is a gateway. the RAM is real, and the processor, as mentioned, semeed kind of disappointing to me, but saying its OUTDATED seems a bit outlandish. It is QUAD core, with an 8MB L3 Cache :O We are talking about insane specs on the proc. At the same time, I was hoping for 3 GHz out of the box, but that may not happen. This rig is supposed to be extremely customizeable though, and is completley ready to be overclocked. It has potential for above 3 GHz, but needs better cooling.

Why I am buying it? For the next 4 years. Yea, I know, it seems crazy to buy a computer and expect it to be state of the art for 4 years, but at least THIS one stands a reallllly good chance, unless they come out with desktop quantum computing before Christmas....

I didnt expect this kind of reaction about it though Maybe Ill start a waiting list for 2 hour timeslots on this beast 15 dollars an hour
Old 07-13-2009 at 08:50 AM   #27
dacrown4life
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

work-study
I will recommend looking for the Jobs on Oscar. The work-study program. i work at the nursing faculty office, and my schedule is the same for the WHOLE school term. and its only 10hrs, and easy to cancel or change your hours around if you will be busy in one week. as oppose to restaurant/stores, you cant predict when you will be working the following week or two. so hard to make plans. and you learn a lot of stuff about the corporate world. but ill warn you, its not easy to find jobs, its very competitive, but not impossible

ill aslo recommend the psych,econs experiments. they are quite EASY and fast

mcinside says thanks to dacrown4life for this post.
Old 07-13-2009
_Luu_
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 07-13-2009 at 09:46 AM   #28
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

sell your body...

or do psych/econ experiments (honestly some take like 15 minutes and you get $20)
Old 07-13-2009 at 01:31 PM   #29
Bobby66
was offline, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelp View Post
DUH!!!

Building a computer these day's is useless. You can buy one for a decent price and upgrade it yourself. Its not even worth it to build your own computer. Costs like 3x much as a regular market computer and the hours spent in building isn't worth it.

No, building your own computer is still worth it. You don't get your parts from newegg or tigerdirect. You get it from computer wholesalers or from people shipping computer parts from U.S without taxes.