MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OSAP and extra money. SandraM Financial Aid 5 08-24-2010 08:24 PM
Highest number of people going to university in ten years! lorend MacInsiders Announcements 16 07-16-2010 04:04 PM
Making Extra Money mike_302 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 54 07-21-2009 11:31 PM
Becoming a TA (as an undergrad) pk00 General Discussion 3 05-17-2009 01:05 AM
extra charges? moskal89 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 11-08-2008 11:43 PM

Is it usual for people to do extra years of undergrad?

Old 08-20-2008 at 03:11 PM   #1
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Is it usual for people to do extra years of undergrad?
Hello I was wondering if it is usual, or possible to do an extra year of university (undergraduate)... I am asking this because besides courses for a degree, there are other courses I am interested in taking , though they all wouldnt fit in 4 years... my highschool was an arts one so lots of people took an extra year but I don't know about university.

thanks

Last edited by sinthusized : 08-20-2008 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-20-2008 at 06:37 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Some do, some don't.

It depends on your degree, what courses you can take during the year, how you pay for your education etc.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-20-2008 at 07:17 PM   #3
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

I did it.

Is it usual? No, I wouldn't say that - most people only stay for the amount of time that their degree is supposed to take to complete. But a fair number do stay for an extra year (or more) for a variety of reasons.

In my case, it was because I switched programs (this is probably one of the more common reasons). Because I finished 2nd year in chemistry and then decided to switch to biochem, I had to make up a few courses in order to satisfy the biochem requirements. Unfortunately, due to scheduling (many of them are only offered once per year and some are prerequisites for others), it meant that I had to stick around for a 5th year. Now, technically, I probably could have just done 3 or 4 courses in that 5th year and finished, but I decided to do what you're proposing - simply take more courses that interested me so that I had a full courseload.

Since my career goal was teaching, the extra courses actually helped me to get in to teacher's college, too, as well as bumped me up a pay category for when I was actually hired as one (what you get paid as a teacher depends on your qualifications and educational background, and they look favourably on an extra year of university).

So I don't regret it at all. Some people want to get out of school as soon as possible, some people are professional students, and some people fall somewhere in between. But essentially, as long as you keep giving McMaster money, they're not going to kick you out :p

resh.jyoti, sinthusized all say thanks to Cippi for this post.