MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Number of people allowed in a course Kira Academics 7 06-13-2010 11:17 PM
A question for upper years regarding difficulty of University Alchemist11 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 27 11-05-2009 02:42 PM
Is it usual for people to do extra years of undergrad? sinthusized First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-20-2008 07:17 PM
SIN Number? Ruggedman Academics 2 07-04-2008 09:20 AM
Max number of units Omega_X13 Academics 2 06-25-2008 08:04 PM

Highest number of people going to university in ten years!

The Ontario Universities' Application Centre (OUAC) is reporting that more students accepted university programs this year than in any of the previous ten years.

87,096 students will be attending Ontario universities this fall. In 2005 there were 73,393 students, while in 2001 that number was only 55,910.

Even the double cohort year (2003) there were less students, at 84,685.
Published by
MacInsiders VP

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 07-15-2010 at 03:32 PM   #2
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times
Guess that explains why first years are complaining that massive classes like Econ 1B03/1BB3 are already full.

Old 07-15-2010 at 03:43 PM   #3
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Liked: 51 Times
I'd like to see the correlation between this with the # of dropouts. I suspect there is a linear relationship.

resh.jyoti likes this.

Old 07-15-2010 at 04:15 PM   #4
cory_1991

Liked: 5 Times
I was wondering if anyone could tell me how many total undergraduate students (both part time and full time) McMaster University has in 2010/2011. And if someone is really good, try to break it down by year :p

Thanks,

Cory

Old 07-15-2010 at 04:50 PM   #5
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times
Ew universities are like factories these days. We should make sure there are decent jobs available when students graduate. But noooo, the university needs more money.

Old 07-15-2010 at 05:44 PM   #6
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
Ew universities are like factories these days. We should make sure there are decent jobs available when students graduate. But noooo, the university needs more money.
I don't see how that makes any sense. How can the university make sure decent jobs are available upon graduation? I believe that's completely up to the economy...

And the university can't help it if it needs more money. The economy is still pretty crap and parts of the university cannot be maintained without additional funds (which it would normally otherwise get through grants .etc).

Old 07-15-2010 at 10:25 PM   #7
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times
You know, a university degree used to mean something. Now you need two or three to get anywhere with all the competition.

But it's also good that a lot more people are going to school,,,so many jobs now need degrees here and degrees there just because of how many people apply.

Last edited by britb : 07-15-2010 at 10:31 PM.

Old 07-15-2010 at 10:30 PM   #8
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
You know, a university degree used to mean something. Now you need two or three to get anywhere with all the competition.
amen;;

Old 07-15-2010 at 11:07 PM   #9
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory_1991 View Post
I was wondering if anyone could tell me how many total undergraduate students (both part time and full time) McMaster University has in 2010/2011. And if someone is really good, try to break it down by year :p

Thanks,

Cory
I dont think you will get that until later on in the year. They still are dealing with rescinding people's offer

Old 07-16-2010 at 12:05 AM   #10
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Oh man, I just realized first year is probably gonna be super competitive this year.

Old 07-16-2010 at 09:28 AM   #11
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
amen;;

That's actually pretty false.

University was never meant to get you a job. University is a place of higher learning. If you want to get a job, you need work skills: most of which aren't available through a place that focuses on academia and theory.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

dsahota likes this.

Old 07-16-2010 at 10:06 AM   #12
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times
I'm not sure if anyone's familiar with Daniel Quinn (he wrote Ismael and quite a few other books), but he actually suggested that the purpose of education is to prevent people from entering the work force. The speech he gave that I linked to was actually talking more about when middle and high school became the norm, and started to touch on college (I don't have the date when it was given, but I assume it was a while ago).

While I would recommend taking some of what he says with a grain of salt, he makes some very cool points. Keeping people in school longer does an excellent job of keeping them out of the job market. And because what we learn is, almost always, completely useless it really doesn't have the effect of better preparing us for the work force. Most jobs that used to require just a high school education now require a degree- and I don't think its outrageous to think that eventually most jobs will require at least two.

I heavily recommend reading some books by him- they're very thought provoking.

Old 07-16-2010 at 10:14 AM   #13
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post

But it's also good that a lot more people are going to school,,,so many jobs now need degrees here and degrees there just because of how many people apply.
Quite true. I often hear the phrase, "It's just not enough to have a Bachelors anymore". Now, whether that is referring to post graduate studies or experience, I do not know. But I hear it from a lot of older folks. The truth to that however, I will have to see myself when I finish my program in a few years from now =p

Old 07-16-2010 at 10:16 AM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyK View Post
Quite true. I often hear the phrase, "It's just not enough to have a Bachelors anymore". Now, whether that is referring to post graduate studies or experience, I do not know. But I hear it from a lot of older folks. The truth to that however, I will have to see myself when I finish my program in a few years from now =p
It's most likely academic related. The number of people that have bachelors is so large that it really isn't impressive to anyone anymore.

Old 07-16-2010 at 11:36 AM   #15
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
I'm not sure if anyone's familiar with Daniel Quinn (he wrote Ismael and quite a few other books), but he actually suggested that the purpose of education is to prevent people from entering the work force. The speech he gave that I linked to was actually talking more about when middle and high school became the norm, and started to touch on college (I don't have the date when it was given, but I assume it was a while ago).

While I would recommend taking some of what he says with a grain of salt, he makes some very cool points. Keeping people in school longer does an excellent job of keeping them out of the job market. And because what we learn is, almost always, completely useless it really doesn't have the effect of better preparing us for the work force. Most jobs that used to require just a high school education now require a degree- and I don't think its outrageous to think that eventually most jobs will require at least two.

I heavily recommend reading some books by him- they're very thought provoking.
Oh god, Ishmael is a bunch of crap.

My opinion of course

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search