Mandatory Courses FULL. Rakim Academics 1 06-14-2010 12:10 PM
McMaster Senate Voting Today Chad General Discussion 0 10-24-2007 10:55 AM
T-Shirt/Tote Bag Design Voting rafia Clubs & Groups 14 10-11-2007 02:28 PM

Mandatory Voting at McMaster

Old 02-06-2010 at 11:57 AM   #1
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

Mandatory Voting at McMaster
I mentioned this in another thread and I would like to see it happen, but , I would like to get some input on what people here think. I know there are a lot of different talents and knowledge bases that post here, so I should be able to get some good points from you guys.

1)Mandatory voting at McMaster?
2) Way to enforce it: fines, restrictions, punishments?

Thoughts?

oh yeah, for those who are too lazy to type "compulsory voting wiki"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsory_voting

Last edited by Rossclot : 02-06-2010 at 12:12 PM. Reason: didnt want to exclude wikipedia from our discussion
Old 02-06-2010 at 11:59 AM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

I like it, but don't think it's feasible.

I don't think you can make people vote, or they'd have done it at the municipal/provincial/federal level

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 02-06-2010 at 12:01 PM   #3
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

We used to force people to vote in High School, but that was a lot easier...everyone had a core "homeroom" and we'd do voting then. It would be realy hard here I would guess lol
Old 02-06-2010 at 12:14 PM   #4
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 256 Times

Pretty stupid idea. The election process would become even more of a joke since candidates would rely even more on Casey Park tactics since they're memorable and now that the stupid people are forced to vote, they'll vote for the candidate with the best and most funny gimmick.

Rossclot, snaps all say thanks to Souldier for this post.

Old 02-06-2010 at 12:14 PM   #5
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

mandatory? really? why?
Old 02-06-2010 at 12:17 PM   #6
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

Why dont you think it is feasible? What if it was done through ELM? (obviously the fact that you voted would be linked to you, not who you voted for)

I'm not trying to push anything in any direction, just trying to see "problems" as challenges. So instead of saying "it would be hard to get everyone to vote", I would say "How could we make it so we could facilitate everyone voting?"

Please elaborate on what you think the problems would be! I want to know what you all think! I hope this thread turns into a big collection of ideas and "challenge" statements.

[email protected]!n5t0rm!ng w00t!
Old 02-06-2010 at 12:21 PM   #7
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

I don't agree with forced voting in any arena, be it state or school. Voting is a right, and as such, people have the right to vote, not vote, or to not care about it.

Old 02-06-2010 at 12:24 PM   #8
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Agree with Souldier. If only approximately 24% of the student population voted, that means at max, maybe 50% care (assuming the other 26% were 'too busy' or some other excuse to note vote). That's a generous estimate, it's probably closer to 30%.

So you're saying you want 70% of the votes to be given by people who don't care? That means if "everyone didn't care" and just voted for whoever they remembered coming into their class (i.e., Casey Park this year) then he could have won easily without even having a proper campaign or anything - just by coming in and being memorable.
Old 02-06-2010 at 12:51 PM   #9
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
I don't agree with forced voting in any arena, be it state or school. Voting is a right, and as such, people have the right to vote, not vote, or to not care about it.
I completely agree! Forcing people to vote is undemocratic. I think a lot of people would be against this.

Last edited by rrtt : 02-06-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-06-2010 at 01:18 PM   #10
bauhaual

Liked: 0 Times

Ummmmmm........WHAT? Really?? I think forcing people to vote is ridiculous. The whole point of voting is being able to choose and have an option....and forcing someone to vote would kinda be goofy. I guess if pple didn't want to vote for someone they could always abstain, but still - There's something about this idea that I really don't like.

Students should WANT to vote because they think it will make a difference or something, but if they think that voting for an MSU prez or anything is pointless then that's their right and their opinion and no one should ever be forced to vote.
Old 02-06-2010 at 01:32 PM   #11
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

People who vote in student elections do it because they care, those who don't have reasons for not doing it. If you force people they're just gonna select random candidates to vote for and then you have results that are useless. This idea is silly.
Old 02-06-2010 at 01:35 PM   #12
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
I like it, but don't think it's feasible.

I don't think you can make people vote, or they'd have done it at the municipal/provincial/federal level
There's actually a lot of countries that use mandatory voting, for example Australia, where they usually have about 95% voter turnout, with fines given to those who don't vote

Taunton says thanks to Maegs for this post.
Old 02-06-2010 at 01:44 PM   #13
ladyh

Liked: 25 Times

I'm not a fan of this idea. Just because people are forced to vote doesn't mean they will also be forced to make an informed decision. If people end up randomly selecting names, or just picking whoever was most entertaining and memorable, because they are being forced to vote, then I think that would do more harm.
Old 02-06-2010 at 02:46 PM   #14
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maegs View Post
There's actually a lot of countries that use mandatory voting, for example Australia, where they usually have about 95% voter turnout, with fines given to those who don't vote
Thanks for mentioning this... I was going to if someone else hadn't.

I am for mandatory voting, and I don't think it's "undemocratic" as long as it was put in place by popular vote in the first place (ie referendum). In the same token, if the people didn't want it anymore, they could remove it in the same way.
Old 02-06-2010 at 04:28 PM   #15
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Thanks for mentioning this... I was going to if someone else hadn't.

I am for mandatory voting, and I don't think it's "undemocratic" as long as it was put in place by popular vote in the first place (ie referendum). In the same token, if the people didn't want it anymore, they could remove it in the same way.
You do realize that a vote to decide whether to force people to vote might give somewhat biased results?

If this was ever implemented I would stop voting on principle.

BlakeM likes this.