Life Sci Mandatory Courses are full Rakim Academics 19 06-14-2010 09:14 PM
Mandatory Courses FULL. Rakim Academics 1 06-14-2010 12:10 PM
McMaster Senate Voting Today Chad General Discussion 0 10-24-2007 10:55 AM
T-Shirt/Tote Bag Design Voting rafia Clubs & Groups 14 10-11-2007 02:28 PM

Mandatory Voting at McMaster

Old 02-06-2010 at 04:46 PM   #16
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

Are we turning the school into a communist country? Voting is a right, not a duty. MSU really doesn't impact our daily lives in a significant way, at least nowhere near as significantly as the federal or provincial governments. They don't force us to vote, why should the MSU....if the MSU forced me to vote, I would leave the MSU
Old 02-06-2010 at 05:07 PM   #17
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
If this was ever implemented I would stop voting on principle.
Or you could always abstain.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 02-06-2010 at 05:13 PM   #18
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmasud View Post
Are we turning the school into a communist country? Voting is a right, not a duty. MSU really doesn't impact our daily lives in a significant way, at least nowhere near as significantly as the federal or provincial governments. They don't force us to vote, why should the MSU....if the MSU forced me to vote, I would leave the MSU
Leaving the MSU would mean either leaving the university or being a part time student. Unless you meant either of those, there is really no other way of leaving the MSU...At least none that I can think of.
Old 02-06-2010 at 05:17 PM   #19
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

But that's still voting!
Old 02-06-2010 at 05:30 PM   #20
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Kinda defeats the purpose of democracy, doesn't it?

I didn't vote this election. If I was FOFCED to, believe me that I would have picked the lease qualified person.

Just because you force people to do something, doesn't mean they'll "do it right."

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 02-06-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-06-2010 at 05:42 PM   #21
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Kinda defeats the purpose of democracy, doesn't it?

Not really. It doesn't keep people from choosing their leader(s), nor does it remove your ability to choose nobody (by abstaining or spoiling your ballot). If everyone didn't want to choose one of the people on their ballot, nobody is keeping them from choosing to abstain or spoil.

As to the point of a referendum being "biased". Of course a vote for "yes, I want mandatory voting" is biased (and vice-versa). A vote is inherently biased. Maybe I don't understand the point of that comment. Regardless, countries can't follow the wishes of ever single citizen, and unfortunately some people do miss out. A referendum would be the most fair way to determine if the nation in question wanted mandatory voting.

We don't ever hear about Australia being undemocratic or evil or anything like that, quite the contrary. Perhaps I'm not as libertarian as some people, but mandatory voting (not at Mac, but in municipal, provincial, etc) is a great idea in my opinion. This reminds me a lot of the American health care debate - people avoid doing the beneficial thing for society by hanging on to abstract concepts that aren't actually being threatened.
Old 02-06-2010 at 05:51 PM   #22
finklej
Vice President Education

Liked: 42 Times

I have thought about his issue a lot. I am in favour of mandatory voting in federal, provincial and city elections, but not at the MSU level. The reason is that I feel that people will become informed when voting for the national government, but they will not for the MSU. People like Lawleypop are a great example (no offence, you said you "would have picked the lease qualified person").

If people want to vote and care to vote, they will.

Personally, I would rather have 25% of informed people voting than 75% of people voting for the sake of voting.

I also believe that living in a democratic nation, becoming informed and voting is in fact a right and a duty. We have the duty to uphold democratic parctices and voting is the most important. If people want to forego their basic rights, then let them, its their loss. As far as I am concern, if you do not vote, then you cannot complain.

mlangille, Taunton like this.
Old 02-06-2010 at 05:59 PM   #23
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by finklej View Post
I have thought about his issue a lot. I am in favour of mandatory voting in federal, provincial and city elections, but not at the MSU level. The reason is that I feel that people will become informed when voting for the national government, but they will not for the MSU. People like Lawleypop are a great example (no offence, you said you "would have picked the lease qualified person").

If people want to vote and care to vote, they will.

Personally, I would rather have 25% of informed people voting than 75% of people voting for the sake of voting.

I also believe that living in a democratic nation, becoming informed and voting is in fact a right and a duty. We have the duty to uphold democratic parctices and voting is the most important. If people want to forego their basic rights, then let them, its their loss. As far as I am concern, if you do not vote, then you cannot complain.
No offence taken, everything you said is exactly what I meant by my post. I don't care about the MSU, I think it's a joke, and forcing me to vote and maybe even imposing a penalty on me if I don't would certainly not make me any less apathetic.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 02-06-2010 at 07:19 PM   #24
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.

Liked: 94 Times

Naw... I don't think compulsory voting won't fix the problems in our democracy.

Forcing people who don't see a government as legit/relevant/inclusive to select representatives who legislate in the name of these people isn't going to make citizens automatically see that government as legit/relevant/inclusive.

If our government is broken, throwing more votes at it will not fix it.

What will really fix things is a complete overhaul of the way our democracy works. We need to replace representative democracy with direct democracy. That way, we all become the legislators. Who can say that a government where we all make the laws directly isn't legit or relevant or inclusive?

Just my two cents...
Old 02-06-2010 at 07:30 PM   #25
samd

Liked: 22 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.erl View Post
Who can say that a government where we all make the laws directly isn't legit or relevant or inclusive?
As the late George Carlin said many times over:

"Some people are f*cking stupid."
Old 02-06-2010 at 07:35 PM   #26
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post

As to the point of a referendum being "biased". Of course a vote for "yes, I want mandatory voting" is biased (and vice-versa). A vote is inherently biased. Maybe I don't understand the point of that comment. Regardless, countries can't follow the wishes of ever single citizen, and unfortunately some people do miss out. A referendum would be the most fair way to determine if the nation in question wanted mandatory voting.
It would be biased because the only people who would show up to vote are people who vote. The only people the bill would target is people who don't vote. Anyone who would actually be affected by it wouldn't get a say.

That'd be like holding a referendum about gay marriage, and only allowing straight people to vote in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.erl View Post
Naw... I don't think compulsory voting won't fix the problems in our democracy.

Forcing people who don't see a government as legit/relevant/inclusive to select representatives who legislate in the name of these people isn't going to make citizens automatically see that government as legit/relevant/inclusive.

If our government is broken, throwing more votes at it will not fix it.

What will really fix things is a complete overhaul of the way our democracy works. We need to replace representative democracy with direct democracy. That way, we all become the legislators. Who can say that a government where we all make the laws directly isn't legit or relevant or inclusive?

Just my two cents...
I think this might be the first time I agree with an entire one of your posts.

Last edited by Marlowe : 02-06-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-06-2010 at 08:13 PM   #27
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.

Liked: 94 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
I think this might be the first time I agree with an entire one of your posts.
*GASP!* really!?! I think I might be onto something then...epic win!

Marlowe likes this.
Old 02-06-2010 at 08:29 PM   #28
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Well a few of us on the SRA were discussing putting in a policy for atleast Club Execs to vote on a compulsory basis. It would I guess make sense since the MSU is paying their budget, for them to vote and contribute to the organization's election of the next leader. How that will be regulated is beyond me though :S

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 02-06-2010 at 08:33 PM   #29
finklej
Vice President Education

Liked: 42 Times

Huzaifa- I think we should create and enable Emergency Powers and then rule together as co-dictators.

lorend likes this.
Old 02-06-2010 at 09:01 PM   #30
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

I very much like the sound of that! A revolution where we first create the emergency powers clause. After putting that in place "recall" the entire Assembly bar ourselves and then change the name to the glorious people's revolutionary union. Then I have you assassinated and rule as the supreme chancellor of the MSU for an indefinite assignment. Then eventually I turn it into something modeled after SOAS http://soasunion.org/

MSU Vice President Education '12/13