MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
it's fun to stay at the L-C-B-O ... macbaby07 General Discussion 3 08-30-2010 03:08 PM
Can you stay just one semester in residence? drew4008 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-26-2010 03:31 PM
Parking in M lot overnight??? Olivia_M Automotive & Transportation 4 01-15-2010 10:37 AM
Can I park overnight outside Commons? jubilantx First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-14-2009 08:36 AM
Guests On Welcome Week fuzzyskittle General Discussion 14 08-30-2009 10:14 AM

How many days can guests (e.g. mom) stay overnight in residence?

Old 08-29-2009 at 08:15 PM   #1
jubilantx

Liked: 1 Time

How many days can guests (e.g. mom) stay overnight in residence?
My mom wants to visit me once in a while, so is there a limit to how many days she can live in my room? (I live in a single room) And do we have to pay?
Thanks!!
Old 08-29-2009 at 08:20 PM   #2
mikefung

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilantx View Post
My mom wants to visit me once in a while, so is there a limit to how many days she can live in my room? (I live in a single room) And do we have to pay?
Thanks!!
My roommate used to bring her girlfriend for the weekend (Fri - Sun) once in a while, so staying for a weekend is not a problem.
Old 08-29-2009 at 08:27 PM   #3
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Thanks!!
Thats directly from mac's residence site.

"Can my guests stay overnight?

Yes. As long as you've talked with your roommate and he/she says it's all right, but for no more than three consecutive nights, and there must be a minimum of seven days in between stays. This is a privilege that can be withdrawn if it is abused."

hamnahx02 says thanks to syaseen for this post.
Old 08-29-2009 at 08:33 PM   #4
jubilantx

Liked: 1 Time

oh i c.. thanks!!
Old 08-29-2009 at 08:35 PM   #5

Liked: 8 Times

I knew some guys in first year who sublet their room for a few months while they still lived in it. Its not a big deal.
Old 08-29-2009 at 08:42 PM   #6
marieeeeeee

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by 158701 View Post
I knew some guys in first year who sublet their room for a few months while they still lived in it. Its not a big deal.
Hm, as far as I know that's not allowed. You aren't supposed to lend your keys out to anyone.
Old 08-29-2009 at 08:50 PM   #7
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by marieeeeeee View Post
Hm, as far as I know that's not allowed. You aren't supposed to lend your keys out to anyone.
I'm guessing the person probably knew that but chose to ignore it. Not illegal if you don't get caught and what not etc. I still wouldn't advise it though. The CA's must have not been very good.
Old 08-29-2009 at 09:25 PM   #8
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

Quote:
My mom wants to visit me once in a while, so is there a limit to how many days she can live in my room?
be prepared to be made fun of... (trying to be honest here)
Old 08-29-2009 at 09:38 PM   #9
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

I don't think I've ever seen a parent sleep in residence... ever. If your mom is really missing you, the better solution for the both of you would probably be you going home for the weekend.
Old 08-29-2009 at 09:44 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I've seen one person in my residence have their mother stay over. It was really weird... I would try to avoid it.
Old 08-29-2009 at 09:53 PM   #11
LBJ.MVP

Liked: 16 Times

parents in university? not a good mix.
Old 08-29-2009 at 10:09 PM   #12
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I understand that you and your mum may wish to bond further and it could be like Lorelai and Rory Gilmore (from Gilmore Girls) and I think that's great. However, as mentioned above (albeit with more elaboration) you may wish to find other ways to connect more despite the distance.
University is not only about maturing the mind but shaping us into young adults who are working to be more independent but also more responsible.

Let me explain; if this is the first time you've stayed without your mum in a new place you may want to ask her to stay during the first week. When we're with the people we love, 1 day can easily become those 3 days and before you know, it could be a regular thing.

Now I'm not going to say that you're going to be made fun of or teased because some people may have disabilities and really appreciate that extra parental support when they need it (each situation is different and your resident peers may be very understanding) however it doesn't necessarily allow you to grow to the best of your potential.

It becomes a bit more like home, and while that is a great thing, the comforts of home cannot always be there when we need them, otherwise we find it really hard to function when they aren't there.

As well, you may also spend more time bonding with her than people in your faculty or age group.

Considering this from her perspective, while initially she may love and be quite willing to get on board this plan, after a while, as you become more accustomed to university, she may feel more left out and lonely, despite the fact that you guys are probably planning this to avoid that.

You may find you don't have enough time to spend with her due to midterms or finals, or that you can't explain every one of the things about campus life that you'd like to share (because there are more of them than there is time in the day) or that your friends may demand your time or classmates may (for group projects) causing her to feel uncomfortable and out of place.

While the final decision is yours, I would advise finding alternative ways to spend the time together. Go out for dinner regularly and plan shopping trips (or just window shopping in this economy) and maybe a movie.
There are lots of ways to connect with each other without entering a very delicate situation such as the one you've described above.
I do understand it from your perspective and I admire the strong relationship you both have, but it may not be in your best interest.

(And about people laughing; while university is a more mature place and I wouldn't want to intimidate you or anybody else reading this - there are dumbasses in every corner of life who laugh at things like people getting blown up and crippled individuals. If they exist in any situation, they will laugh tastelessly at things that don't really concern them and never will. If they don't, we should count our blessings.)

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

jc24, _Luu_ like this.
Old 08-29-2009 at 10:09 PM   #13
niteskie
Elite Member

Liked: 45 Times

I agree with Tailsnake, if your mom misses that much go home and visit her. Imagine how awkward it would be if people are in the washroom and they see your mother walk in. o.o Or if your friends tell your mom about stuff you've done in rez.
Old 08-29-2009 at 10:39 PM   #14
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times

Good luck getting permission from your roommate to have your mother stay.
Old 08-29-2009 at 10:45 PM   #15
niteskie
Elite Member

Liked: 45 Times

She has a single room...but it might be weird for her floormates having a mom around.