MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can 2nd year students select 1st year electives? Daman K Academics 8 09-08-2010 08:03 PM
McMaster First Year Nursing!!! Message me if your in the first year program as well crumble Introduce Yourself 0 08-12-2010 09:40 PM
Taking second year courses in third/fourth year b.m. Academics 1 07-27-2010 10:37 PM
Is it possible to go into life science for 1 year then transfer into nursing 2nd year memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-21-2010 08:47 PM

How many off campusers this year? :D

Old 07-31-2009 at 10:28 PM   #136
Greco

Liked: 18 Times

How easy is it to find someone in the summer months who's will to take over your apartment for a summer sublet?

I found a nice cozy bachelor apartment, but it's a 12-month lease, & i'm not there from May-August. I really want it, but i'm worried about being able to find someone who'd take it over for the summer months. It'd be $350/month to rent in the summer.
Old 07-31-2009 at 10:34 PM   #137
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa-88 View Post
How easy is it to find someone in the summer months who's will to take over your apartment for a summer sublet?

I found a nice cozy bachelor apartment, but it's a 12-month lease, & i'm not there from May-August. I really want it, but i'm worried about being able to find someone who'd take it over for the summer months. It'd be $350/month to rent in the summer.
Are you talking about this summer? It's almost over.

But to answer your question. It's very hard to find someone to sublet. The reason being is that during the summer there are less students taking courses than in the fall/winter. This means that they have a choice of SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OO many houses.
Old 07-31-2009 at 10:34 PM   #138
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:

It's hard to find subletters for the summer months. There's just too many people wanting to sublet and not enough people to sublet. What people usually resort to doing is subletting at a loss. For example, I'm subletting in the condo's right now for $300 so the renters are losing at least a couple hundred. This is what happens pretty much across the board with subletting.

However, a bachelor for $350 is pretty good... You'll probably have better luck than most people because of what you have to offer.
Old 08-01-2009 at 03:51 PM   #139
Greco

Liked: 18 Times

Does anyone know how the area around Locke St. Zone 2, around the Starbucks there. As far as safety, and buses that go to Mac?
Old 08-01-2009 at 04:16 PM   #140
u.yousaf

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Does anyone know how the area around Locke St. Zone 2, around the Starbucks there. As far as safety, and buses that go to Mac?
Coincidentally, I actually had a geography assignment that required us to make a tour guide of that same area. I found the area very nice and welcoming. It seemed like a close knit community and definitely safe.

Greco says thanks to u.yousaf for this post.

Greco likes this.
Old 08-01-2009 at 09:17 PM   #141
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Omgoshh so I moved into my new place Thursday, and I basically 'actually' moved in today. Man, it's a lot of work to clean.. why are people so dirty?? The previous tenants were two girls but for some reason, ick. Anyways, I lurve my new place, it's much more spacious and will do juuuust fine. <3 If anyone's wondering, it's in the Main & Whitney area if you're still looking. There's heaps of apartments around here.
Old 08-12-2009 at 10:30 AM   #142
wastetime909

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Try the Main & Whitney area. Lol, I've been talking about that area a lot but I really like it. It's cheaper than Westdale.

I was at a bachelor apt downtown last year, with this shady landlord (Gus Takis) so don't rent with him, he's a total slumlord haha.
Hi, about this shady landlord (Takis), does he allow you to share the bachelor apt with a roomate? I met with him yesterday and he showed me that apt. Looks crappy, and he charged $500 each month for that.
Old 08-12-2009 at 10:53 AM   #143
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastetime909 View Post
Hi, about this shady landlord (Takis), does he allow you to share the bachelor apt with a roomate? I met with him yesterday and he showed me that apt. Looks crappy, and he charged $500 each month for that.
Haha wellllll I actually co-signed the lease I had with him with my mom, and so, she didn't know that my boyfriend would be crashing at my place a lot. So a lot of the time, Takis would see him in my apartment, especially when he barged in without 24 hours notice, and he didn't care at all. I'm you sure you could rent it out to the both of you, I'm just letting you know it's a tight fit and 500 was too much for that place (that's what I paid too).
Old 08-12-2009 at 11:11 AM   #144
wastetime909

Liked: 0 Times

Thanx! That's really helpful.
Old 08-21-2009 at 05:51 PM   #145
ghjkghkghkgh

Liked: 38 Times

I think there are less than 5000 residence spots. So with 20 000 or so students, quite a number are off-campus.
Old 08-24-2009 at 09:27 AM   #146
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghjkghkghkgh View Post
I think there are less than 5000 residence spots. So with 20 000 or so students, quite a number are off-campus.
LOL yes, that's technically true.

I think it would be more beneficial to divide that up into
- first years living off-campus vs in residence
- upper years who commute from beyond Hamilton city limits vs upper years living in Hamilton
- Native Hamiltonians who are living at home.