Math 1ZA3 Ish001 Academics 0 10-05-2010 08:15 PM
1ZA3 math mid terms MasudFX Academics 6 10-02-2010 01:29 PM
who went to math 1za3 yesterday ? theBomb Academics 5 09-11-2010 12:59 PM

Maple Software for Math 1ZA3

Old 08-11-2011 at 07:27 PM   #16
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

They tell you everything in class and through the course website.
Old 08-11-2011 at 08:12 PM   #17
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

What if your actual class/core is after your tutorial in your timetable? Like, I'm just talking the first week of school here.
Old 08-11-2011 at 08:14 PM   #18
Theashe

Liked: 29 Times

You're gonna have to buy a package of Maple 14/MapleSim for Eng 1C03 (you'll never use Maple 14 in that class, but they come together if you use McMaster's promo on Maple's site). Maple 14 will also come on a CD with your math textbooks if you buy new ones. If you need to re-use a CD key on a new computer (and it hasn't expired), email Maple and they will deactivate your key. I had to do this twice this past year because I had to return my computer to factory twice (don't buy a Dell).
Old 08-11-2011 at 08:15 PM   #19
Theashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
What if your actual class/core is after your tutorial in your timetable? Like, I'm just talking the first week of school here.
No one went to the Math 1ZA3 tutorial. It was just a TA doing sample questions. Nothing to be learned if you keep caught up by yourself.

anonanon987 likes this.
Old 08-11-2011 at 08:17 PM   #20
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theashe View Post
You're gonna have to buy a package of Maple 14/MapleSim for Eng 1C03 (you'll never use Maple 14 in that class, but they come together if you use McMaster's promo on Maple's site). Maple 14 will also come on a CD with your math textbooks if you buy new ones. If you need to re-use a CD key on a new computer (and it hasn't expired), email Maple and they will deactivate your key. I had to do this twice this past year because I had to return my computer to factory twice (don't buy a Dell).
Not in Engineering, so I'm not taking Eng 1C03, but thanks for the Maple info.

Quote:
No one went to the Math 1ZA3 tutorial. It was just a TA doing sample questions. Nothing to be learned if you keep caught up by yourself.
Hm, I see. My question now is...starting September 8 (Thursday) what if you have a tutorial/lab scheduled for that day? Should you go to it anyway since you don't know your course website or haven't received the outline yet as your core is afterward?
Old 08-11-2011 at 08:19 PM   #21
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Should you go to it anyway since you don't know your course website or haven't received the outline yet as your core is afterward?
No, the rule is no labs/tutorials of any kind for any level before the first week is done.
Old 08-11-2011 at 08:24 PM   #22
Theashe

Quote:
Not in Engineering, so I'm not taking Eng 1C03, but thanks for the Maple info.

Hm, I see. My question now is...starting September 8 (Thursday) what if you have a tutorial/lab scheduled for that day? Should you go to it anyway since you don't know your course website or haven't received the outline yet as your core is afterward?
That's during Frosh Week, right? For that Thursday and Friday (and sometimes the next week) there usually aren't any labs or tutorials running. If the professor in your core doesn't tell you, go to the room where you have the lab/tutorial at the time that you have it on those days. Usually there's a sign that says "No Tutorials/Labs Until (Date)". I can't see any reason why they would have them running that early though; you haven't had any time to even learn the science/formulas/ideas that the labs are reinforcing.
Old 08-11-2011 at 08:25 PM   #23
anonanon987
Power Abuser

But the first week of school is only two days if I'm correct. Isn't school starting on the 8th of September which is a Thursday? Is there anywhere on the McMaster website where it states that? I think my best bet is to email the professors and ask them.

Quote:
That's during Frosh Week, right? For that Thursday and Friday (and sometimes the next week) there usually aren't any labs or tutorials running. If the professor in your core doesn't tell you, go to the room where you have the lab/tutorial at the time that you have it on those days. Usually there's a sign that says "No Tutorials/Labs Until (Date)". I can't see any reason why they would have them running that early though; you haven't had any time to even learn the science/formulas/ideas that the labs are reinforcing.
I think Frosh Week was Sept 1 - 7? xD
Old 08-11-2011 at 08:33 PM   #24
Theashe

Quote:
But the first week of school is only two days if I'm correct. Isn't school starting on the 8th of September which is a Thursday? Is there anywhere on the McMaster website where it states that? I think my best bet is to email the professors and ask them.

I think Frosh Week was Sept 1 - 7? xD
No, move-in dates for students in residence are from the 3rd to the 5th:
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...8.html?t=45598
So Frosh week will be the 5th to the 11th.

The first "week" of school is the first full week (12th-16th). The Thursday/Friday classes won't teach you any material; they will be short lectures on the syllabus (which you can read on the course website) and contact info for the professors. As an engineer I was even encouraged by the upper years not to go to class on the Thursday/Friday because the classes don't teach you anything and they overlapped with frosh week faculty events. I was a pansy and went anyway, so I can tell you that there REALLY is nothing important on those two days.

anonanon987 says thanks to Theashe for this post.

Mahes likes this.
Old 08-11-2011 at 08:35 PM   #25
anonanon987
Power Abuser

I see that the first day of classes is the 9th of September which is the Friday, and I have a tutorial on that date. The following Monday I also have a tutorial but the actual core is the day after (Tuesday). =/ I'm just sort of confused in that respect so for reassurance anyway I have emailed the respective professors. Thanks anyway Dave
Old 08-11-2011 at 08:39 PM   #26
Theashe

Quote:
I see that the first day of classes is the 9th of September which is the Friday, and I have a tutorial on that date. The following Monday I also have a tutorial but the actual core is the day after (Tuesday). =/ I'm just sort of confused in that respect so for reassurance anyway I have emailed the respective professors. Thanks anyway Dave
If you're nervous about it just go to the rooms anyway (I did), and if they're cancelled there will be a message on the door (not to mention 20 other people going to check it out at the same time).

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the number of tutorials/labs cancelled for the first week (12th-16th).
Old 08-12-2011 at 12:01 PM   #27
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Ah okay, I resolved the problem, thanks!