MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Witholding Marking Criteria emmajg Academics 9 10-08-2010 09:44 AM
Specific Money Questions Help! Vuci First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-13-2010 09:41 PM
First year humanities courses NicoleKho Academics 2 08-17-2010 09:06 AM
picking courses for 2ND year HUMANITIES program bella.gucci Academics 2 06-01-2010 11:23 AM
easy humanities and social science courses? shreya s. Academics 24 05-02-2010 11:16 AM

Marking in specific courses in humanities

Old 07-16-2011 at 09:35 PM   #1
romita sur

Liked: 0 Times

Marking in specific courses in humanities
I'm looking at a career in law and have been researching about it. Law schools in Canada require a minimum of A- along with a good LSAT score. I'm a hardworking person but a lot of times that's not enough since it also depends if your prof or TA like what you write.

So these are some of the courses that I'm thinking about: Philosophy 1C03,1B03, Political Science 1G06, Labour Studies 1C03, Religious Studies 1J03

How is the marking in these courses?

I look forward to reading your opinions

Thanks

RS
Old 07-16-2011 at 10:15 PM   #2
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Out of that list I only took Philosophy 1B03. The essays were very straightforward and were very manageable. I ended up with a 10 in the course, but if I had have done the readings and participated more I would have got a higher mark. But, I know people that found it difficult because they didn't have the greatest TA, so it really depends who is marking your stuff. The course itself was great though!
Old 07-17-2011 at 01:05 AM   #3
darkstar

Liked: 47 Times

Law schools don't care about your first year marks but you do still need good enough marks to get into a major for second year.

It is almost impossible to answer your questions since profs and ta's change frequently. Particularly in first year. One might be able to tell you the types of questions on exams, or the types of essays but not be able to tell you how they are marked since every marker is different. Welcome to world of social science and humanities.

Part of doing well in university is to follow instructions and doing what the person marking your stuff wants regardless of the course. I have taken some of the classes you listed but the profs may be different now and I can pretty much guarantee the Ta's are too.

If you want real advice (aside from looking in the review section) take subjects that interest you not classes based on what the marking or assignments are like. Profs and ta's don't have to like what you write as long as what you write is done properly and that will be much easier to do if it something you are interested in. I have written papers that directly contradict what we are being taught or some that could have gotten me kicked out of school and instead I received A's. Yes some classes are generally easier than others but you can greatly reduce the subjectivity if you learn how to write properly and part of that will come from your specific TA not the ones anyone else had in the past.

romita sur likes this.
Old 07-19-2011 at 08:39 AM   #4
romita sur

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks for all the opinions
Old 07-19-2011 at 08:44 AM   #5
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Learn how to make one thread instead of three asking the same question but changing the course code.