MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Math 1LT3 Sim117 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 12-23-2011 11:17 AM
Compare Math 1lt3 And Math 1aa3 ? ruby101 Academics 21 07-07-2010 03:32 PM
Math 1LT3 Timings!!? Vaidawg First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 07-02-2010 10:16 AM
Textbook of Math 1LT3??? jubilantx Academics 4 06-17-2010 02:15 PM

Math 1LT3

Old 05-25-2012 at 09:17 PM   #1
NahLeoNah3
Account Locked

Liked: 0 Times

Math 1LT3
can anyone comment on the difficulty of this course? the professor is erin clemente.

Thanks.
Old 05-25-2012 at 09:58 PM   #2
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

She's extremely lenient, she'll do her best to make sure everyone does well. The course content wasn't terrible in any case. And much like in 1LS3, if you do the assignments and practice midterms/exams, you'll be fine.
Old 05-25-2012 at 10:57 PM   #3
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Easy when I took it (2010-2011 school year) because it was the first time the course was offered. I've heard it was beefed up this year.

But like what Bernard said, using all the resources she provides will definitely help you do well.
Old 05-26-2012 at 01:14 AM   #4
5.98e24

Liked: 12 Times

The content is definitely less demanding than the AA3 material. Both tests were easy, but because they were only an hour long, Clements slightly misjudged the length of the second test - hence, there were lower scores for that one. But the concepts are easy to grasp and Clements is great at teaching them. She goes at a slower pace than most math profs, but she's very approachable. When I took it this past year, there were no assignments - just two tests and an exam - which most people didn't like very much. However, there may be changes to that in the future, I think.
Old 05-26-2012 at 09:21 AM   #5
swarly

Liked: 7 Times

I just took this course last term and it was a pretty easy course. Obviously it was harder than 1LS3, but nothing to crazy. Erin Clements is very nice and approachable. She gives you the past couple years tests as practice and your tests will often be very similar (numbers will be changed, etc.) and some questions were actually reused. The same was with the exam. The average for the first test was about 80% i believe and the 2nd one was 60/65% (it was lower than the first one because it was way too long) but she offers various marking schemes to calculate your final mark so it doesn't really matter. It is not hard at all to get a 10+ in 1LT3, as long as you put in a little bit of work right before tests/exams
Old 05-26-2012 at 12:07 PM   #6
ozilcr7

Liked: 0 Times

soft course.. you'll kill it
Old 05-26-2012 at 03:45 PM   #7
sam_akbari

Liked: 23 Times

Fair course, Fair marking scheme, fair material, fair test/exam lengths. Awesome concepts, awesome practice.

Oh yeah, i forgot, Clements is friggen AWESOME!

P.S. Most guys don't actually LISTEN to her the first couple of days rather than just staring at her in shock, awe and gaze. Shes hot. Not for a prof, just, yeah. Nuff Said.

Oh yeah, work hard and you'll do fine in the course xDD

Mohit likes this.
Old 05-26-2012 at 03:55 PM   #8
Mohit
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_akbari View Post
P.S. Most guys don't actually LISTEN to her the first couple of days rather than just staring at her in shock, awe and gaze. Shes hot.
I second this.
Old 05-26-2012 at 06:44 PM   #9
omgwtfitsp
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 30 Times

i didn't like this course, all the weird applications of it, but its easy up till stats and probability. I got an 11 because I didn't practise much stats but the questions on the exam are similar like pretty much the same as the questions in the practise tests she'll post so study those and you'll kill the exam, making it 90% of your mark and boom you have a 12
Old 05-26-2012 at 09:43 PM   #10
BlueWave

Liked: 16 Times

yep this course is pretty easy! i'd recommend doing the prac ques from the textbook (even though you didn't need to them in 1ls3). this course is harder then 1ls3. way more content. but extremely interesting, relevant and applicible!!! highly recommend! Erin Clements is the sweetest most kindest prof ever! Good luck!
Old 06-22-2012 at 12:14 AM   #11
L_Blankfein

Liked: 11 Times

If someone wanted a 12 in this class:

Do the assigned text problems as many times as possible. do the assignments (as many times as possible), do her previous exam questions (as many times as possible)?
Old 06-22-2012 at 12:50 AM   #12
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

This course really isn't that difficult. I just wished Lovric taught it, though. I don't have anything against the current prof, but Lovric made everything really clear, and he actually made tutorials useful.

Overall, it still isn't a difficult course. Just practice from the assignments, tests .
Old 06-22-2012 at 12:27 PM   #13
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_akbari View Post
P.S. Most guys don't actually LISTEN to her the first couple of days rather than just staring at her in shock, awe and gaze. Shes hot. Not for a prof, just, yeah. Nuff Said.
Hey, don't talk about my wife that way.
Old 06-30-2012 at 07:42 PM   #14
L_Blankfein

Liked: 11 Times

Is it necessary to do the textbook questions? i do not have a solutions manual (I can use wolframalpha). Should I do the assignments as many times as possible, the past midterms, too?
Old 06-30-2012 at 07:50 PM   #15
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Blankfein View Post
Is it necessary to do the textbook questions? i do not have a solutions manual (I can use wolframalpha). Should I do the assignments as many times as possible, the past midterms, too?
I did the assignments and past tests over and over again, never touched the textbooks. Ended up doing well in the course. But depends on you I guess, if you're having trouble with some concepts, couldn't hurt to find a couple questions from the textbook.