MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help, can anyone review my timetable ? ruby101 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-09-2010 10:45 PM
Can someone please Review My timetables!!!! 1styearlife First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 06-03-2010 12:41 PM
Review? lampk Academics 4 08-20-2008 07:59 AM
Review... Nino First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-11-2008 01:18 AM
Hello + Review GT_Pure Introduce Yourself 1 09-28-2006 03:24 PM

Maung Min-Oo Review???

Old 06-11-2009 at 10:32 PM   #1
jade177

Liked: 8 Times

Maung Min-Oo Review???
So I want to take Math 2X03 next year, and I read that the prof is Maung Min-Oo. I was looking at ratings of him as a prof, and found that the ratings were really contradictory...eithe r really negative or really positive. Also, there was a lot of reviews that made him sound kinda sketchy...I was hoping that some people here who have had him could let me know their opinions on him, and whether it would be worthwhile to take a course taught by him.

Thanks
Mel
Old 06-12-2009 at 05:01 AM   #2
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I did my undergrad in Math and Stats...and let's just say I'm glad this is anonymous, because I can badmouth him.

He is one of only three profs in the department I can say is terrible...bit of a jerk really. He talks very quickly, students are frequently lost, gives difficult assignments/tests where possible, and puts his office hours at obscure times of the day. Some direct quotes from him (I was a TA so he talked to me in a friendly manner) include:

"You should all think like I do, it's better."
"I give hard tests so I can feel better about myself."
"I love having my office hours at 6 (pm), no one ends up coming."

I really wish I was embellishing a little...but I'm not. These are nearly word for word quotes straight from his mouth. Oh, and one more from the Math&Stats pub night:

"See [insert another prof's name] is an attractive guy, he's stealing all the women. He's like a Leonardo de Caprio. You're not really like that...don't worry, I'm ugly, I can say that." (haha, maybe he can identify me by this quote :0 )

If at all possible, try to put off 2X03 for a year. I mean 2X03 is not thaaaat difficult, it's easier than 1XX3 (or 1AA3) were, so you can probably manage even with a terrible prof...

Let's just say, if you need to take the course this year (ie. you're in Math&Stats, or rushing to complete a minor), you'll do fine. Just make sure you make use of the math resources, such as the math help centre. I haven't received by TA duties yet, I should at least have office hours in the help centre, and I would be happy to help (as would any of the other fine TAs).

But if you're doing a minor and can wait a year...he taught the course 2A03 last year, so he is unlikely to teach 2X03 again next year since he gets bored quickly.

I pity the people who took Math 3B03 with him last year, and are taking Math 4B03 with him this year.

Last edited by Mowicz : 06-12-2009 at 05:03 AM.

amyf, jade177 all say thanks to Mowicz for this post.
Old 06-12-2009 at 07:45 AM   #3
raine

Liked: 1 Time

I'm glad this question came up because I was having a hard time deciding between Math 2A03 and 2X03. Timetable happened to be scheduled to my dislike and Biology 2B03, which I wanted to take in Term 1, conflicts with Math 2A03 lectures :( So I was considering taking Math 2X03 instead but people told me if I'm not planning on majoring/minoring in math, there's no point of taking only the first part of advanced calculus. And now, seeing who's going to teach the course, I think I'm set on Math 2A03. Thank you for this thread and the reply!
Old 06-12-2009 at 01:01 PM   #4
Mowicz
Elite Member

Allow me to explain the difference between 2A03 and 2X/2XX3. (FYI, I took 2A03 years back, because 2X/2XX did not exist, and I was not a math major to start...but I have since learned about 2X/2XX since they are core courses for a math degree)

Both courses essentially teach you the same thing. 2A03 covers such topics as Spherical coordinates, Cylindrical Coordinates (both kind of like the 3-D analogue of Polar Coordinates), A 3-D 'moving' basis (kind of cool!) and Double and Triple integrals (which you can think of as, finding the surface area, and volume of obscure shapes).

2X and 2XX learn the same thing, spread out over two courses...of course they do not lolly-gag in this extra time! They are learning extra pieces of theory, and gaining an introduction to proof. Set theory, facts about the Real Numbers vs. Complex Numbers, things like that. Many people do not realize that Math drastically changes in 3rd year. It becomes much more abstract, and much less 'calculation' based (infact, I think about 90% of the time, I did not require a calculator for my final exam in Levels III and IV math. Of course I chose to follow the "Pure Math" stream, which is highly theoretical (and more fun in my opinion, haha))

2X and 2XX are designed for Math majors, and math enthusiasts. 2A03 is a better choice if any of the following apply:

-You are not completely serious about the theory behind Math, and are simply taking it because it is a useful course
-You only plan to take 2X...since 2X will only give you 'half' of the stuff 2A does (but as I mentioned, it gives it to you on a much deeper level).
*I don't think it's worthwhile to take ONLY 2X. A better choice is probably 2A, in almost any circumstance.
-You're not as confident in your math skills

Personally, since I'm a math nut I like 2X and 2XX better...so the reasons to take both 2X/2XX instead of 2A are:

-You're pursuing a math major
-It provides 6 units for a minor
-You like to ask 'the big questions' about calculus, and are at least slightly interested in upper level math.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Mowicz : 06-12-2009 at 01:04 PM.

raine says thanks to Mowicz for this post.
Old 06-13-2009 at 05:44 AM   #5
raine

Liked: 1 Time

Thank you! This clarified a lot of things for me. I thought Math 2A03 was essentially same as Math 2X03 but it makes more sense to take both 2X03 and 2XX3 over Math 2A03 (I should have figured it out from their names in the first place as they are called advanced calculus I and II lol). I'm in physics so I'm forced into taking either of them and even if I wanted to take both X3/XX3, I don't have any space to take it so guess I have no other choice but to take 2A03. Thanks again!
Old 06-13-2009 at 11:22 AM   #6
Mowicz
Elite Member

Exactly. Actually for physics, since it does not matter precisely why you can do these fancy integration techniques, why they work, etc. (instead you must simply learn how to do the computation, and apply it to your field), then the extra knowledge presented in 2X/2XX is not really useful (though it certainly is interesting to any enthusiast).

Physicists have enough of their own theory to worry about...they tend to let the mathematicians worry about the math theory, haha.

Last edited by Mowicz : 06-13-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-24-2009 at 01:08 AM   #7
amyf

Liked: 27 Times

Kind of late to the thread, but I'm pretty sure I have to take 2X03 this year. Does anyone have any advice for getting through the course and doing well despite the prof?
Old 06-24-2009 at 09:12 AM   #8
Mowicz
Elite Member

Here are some of my suggestions:

-Even though I'm suggesting that he may not be the easiest lecturer to follow, I still recommend going to class. You just may need additional 'outside help.'

-Don't panic if you don't understand what transpired during a lecture, or if you're reading over your notes later on and have no idea what they're talking about. Again, you may just need a little extra help.

How do I get this 'little extra help?'

-2X03 should have a tutorial...make sure you hound the TA for help! It's their job to make sure you do well. (Just keep in mind they are students too, so try to find a mutually convenient time)

-Use the Math Help Centre to its fullest. Even though someone in there may be scheduled to help with, say, Differential Equations (2C03)**, they will likely know the material from 2X03 anyway...so there is no harm in asking!

**The reason TAs are scheduled for one specific course is so that they can do all the practice problems along with you and keep the material fresh in their heads. Math is one of those things; since it's so diverse, you could forget some of the minor details and really be put on the spot!

-If necessary, find a private tutor. Mac has a list of suggested tutors who will meet with you one-on-one and help you do your homework problems...or of course you can find one yourself if you'd prefer. I've seen a lot of tutor listings and such, and it seems as though the going rate for undergraduate tutors (in any subject) is about $20-25 per hour, and for graduate tutors is $25-30 per hour. However, many tutors, such as myself, are flexible and willing to accomodate financial difficulty (I'm not in it for the money after all! It's just a nice perk to be able to eat some lunch that day ).

-Prepare for the worst. Study hard for the tests, because they will likely be difficult for the given material. Make sure you do every practice problem...not just the 'medium difficulty ones' as many people do.

Remember that there are plenty of resources in place to help you succeed, and Math is luckily, a place full of (mostly) nice people who want you to succeed as well, and will bend over backward to help!

Last edited by Mowicz : 06-24-2009 at 09:21 AM.

amyf says thanks to Mowicz for this post.
Old 08-22-2009 at 12:15 PM   #9
Mowicz
Elite Member

EDIT: Sorry, misunderstanding.

Last edited by Mowicz : 08-22-2009 at 01:44 PM.