MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
CA applications ~*Sara*~ Residence & Housing 19 01-13-2011 09:31 PM
McMaster Alzheimer's Society Committee Applications nerual Clubs & Groups 0 09-16-2010 01:56 PM
Late Applications? stevennevets First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 03-16-2009 09:37 AM
Welcome Week Rep Applications lorend Welcome Week Repping 0 01-12-2008 05:25 PM
RLS Staff Applications lorend Clubs 2 12-28-2007 06:34 PM

McMaster Applications Up Sharply

McMaster Applications Up Sharply

Quote:
As demand for enrolment in universities increases across the province, McMaster's popularity is rising more quickly than most.

Preliminary numbers from the Ontario Universities' Application Centre show applications from graduating high-school students are up 6.6 per cent at McMaster, compared to 2.2 per cent across the province.

The number of students listing McMaster as their first choice is up 7.2 per cent.

“It's certainly gratifying,” said McMaster president Patrick Deane. “It tells you that this kind of growth is more than just a demographic consequence. It's a qualitative decision based on students' assessment of what McMaster has to offer.”
More at The Spec.com including:

Quote:
With 21,000 full-time undergraduate students, the university is at or near capacity, so with more high-school graduates wanting in, the only option is to raise the cutoff for entering grades, leaving some would-be students out.

“Everybody is concerned about the issue of accessibility, because these will for the most part be deserving students we'd like to see accommodated in the university, but there are limits to which the university can grow,” Deane said.

justinsftw, xo.monica like this.
Published by
Elite Member

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 01-29-2011 at 10:46 AM   #2
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie
Program: Honours English and History
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 521 Times
Seems like I came at the right time.

Biochem47 likes this.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 01-29-2011 at 10:55 AM   #3
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.
Program: ???
Year: Other
Residence: ???

Liked: 611 Times
I wonder why everyone's coming here now specifically? A few years ago it seemed like Western was the pick (at least, it was at my school).

Health Sci might have a lot to do with it...
Old 01-29-2011 at 11:32 AM   #4
jo87
Elite Member
Program: Social Sciences
Year: Second

Liked: 152 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
I wonder why everyone's coming here now specifically? A few years ago it seemed like Western was the pick (at least, it was at my school).

Health Sci might have a lot to do with it...

Im from Hamilton and most people from my school went to Mac, so I think that has a lot to do with it. Most people from Hamilton are probably applying here. I can't think of anyone from my high school that went away for school. Mac is in a good location, and Brock isn't much competition. Sometimes the number of students applying to university isn't based on the quality of education the university provides. Its hard to know how good the school is unless you're there for couple of years, then you really get to see what the school is like. I think government has also announced that it will make it easier for students to get OSAP, so that makes it easier for more people to pay. In my opinion the more students we have in university the less your degree is worth. Thats why Im not a fan of increasing numbers, I feel like it devalues the degree. They need to increase admissions avrg. Especially in social sciences and humanities.

danallan says thanks to jo87 for this post.

danallan likes this.

Old 01-29-2011 at 12:29 PM   #5
justinsftw
Elite Member
Program: Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences
Year: Third

Liked: 342 Times
They would definitely have to use higher cut-offs, because space is totally an issue. They would have to buy land if they are going to expand, and Hamilton and co. can only sell so much, as evident in the DeGroote Burlington building (which looks epic, by the way. I drove past it once, saw the big McMaster sign, and smiled).
Old 01-29-2011 at 12:44 PM   #6
mcmasterrrrr
Year: First

Liked: 24 Times
Increased tuition fees in the future, yay!
Old 01-29-2011 at 01:17 PM   #7
changturkey
Program: Geography & Earth Sciences

Liked: 9 Times
Is there any more space on campus for them to expand really?
Old 01-29-2011 at 07:05 PM   #8
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
Im from Hamilton and most people from my school went to Mac, so I think that has a lot to do with it. Most people from Hamilton are probably applying here. I can't think of anyone from my high school that went away for school. Mac is in a good location, and Brock isn't much competition. Sometimes the number of students applying to university isn't based on the quality of education the university provides. Its hard to know how good the school is unless you're there for couple of years, then you really get to see what the school is like. I think government has also announced that it will make it easier for students to get OSAP, so that makes it easier for more people to pay. In my opinion the more students we have in university the less your degree is worth. Thats why Im not a fan of increasing numbers, I feel like it devalues the degree. They need to increase admissions avrg. Especially in social sciences and humanities.
Somehow I don't think that's it, I mean its not like Hamilton exploded between this year and last year...

Anyway, I agree with you about letting more students in - anyone can get a degree these days, it means almost nothing now. Never mind how much it impacts other students' education - huge lectures, no space to sit down quietly for 10 minutes, etc.

They need to jump admission averages, srsy, or have a standardized test.

Needlenose, syan9184 like this.
Old 01-29-2011 at 07:06 PM   #9
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by changturkey View Post
Is there any more space on campus for them to expand really?
There is in their wallet. That's all the space you need.
Old 01-29-2011 at 07:11 PM   #10
Mahratta
Elite Member
Program: -

Liked: 366 Times
Quote:
Anyway, I agree with you about letting more students in - anyone can get a degree these days, it means almost nothing now. Never mind how much it impacts other students' education - huge lectures, no space to sit down quietly for 10 minutes, etc.
Well, that's only the case in a few programs, really...the obvious ones in science and eng, and a few in humanities (history, English) and social science...

Old 01-29-2011 at 07:18 PM   #11
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled
Program: Psychology & English
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 325 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
They need to increase admissions avrg. Especially in social sciences and humanities.
I agree completely. D:
Admission for Soc Sci/Hum. is SO low, and pretty much ANYONE can get in. (there are so many dumb people in my faculty, it's not even freakin' funny).

like a 75%-77% or whatever it is is ridiculous. Should at least be an 80%, that would cut off a decent chunk of people.

danallan says thanks to xo.monica for this post.

Old 01-29-2011 at 08:47 PM   #12
changturkey
Program: Geography & Earth Sciences

Liked: 9 Times
Quote:
There is in their wallet. That's all the space you need.
Uh, well if they wanted to build new residences, where exactly is there to build them?
Old 01-29-2011 at 08:53 PM   #13
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member
Program: Science

Liked: 89 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by changturkey View Post
Uh, well if they wanted to build new residences, where exactly is there to build them?
The campus is buillt only on about 8% of the land Mac owns in Hamilton
Old 01-29-2011 at 09:04 PM   #14
crazyfree
Elite Member
Program: Health Sciences
Year: Alumni

Liked: 284 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastergcdb View Post
The campus is buillt only on about 8% of the land Mac owns in Hamilton
Whhaaaat?? Where's the rest? Have they been holding out on us?

Old 01-29-2011 at 09:06 PM   #15
optical
Program: Science

Liked: 8 Times
Just think of how MORE crowded MUGSI's gonna get :(

danallan says thanks to optical for this post.

Biochem47, danallan like this.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search