MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
School Of Business (DeGroote School of Business) Chad Academics 58 09-12-2011 10:53 AM
what to go into in Business? luna Academics 8 12-17-2010 08:47 PM
Software/Hardware/Business/Music Guys - want to help start a business? benjs Volunteering Opportunities 2 12-11-2010 09:05 PM
Business Co-op kuruczpa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 09-17-2010 08:16 AM
Mac Business I :D MTK3 Introduce Yourself 5 06-24-2010 01:43 AM

McMaster Business I

Old 12-18-2010 at 02:49 PM   #1
ABCDXYZ

Liked: 0 Times

McMaster Business I
Hey everyone, I think Mac is a great university and although its under-rated and is a lower tier program compared to other b-schools I still want to go to Mac.

So my question is, I've seen people getting rejected with 90 averages and some getting in with averages that are are 80 on the dot. So what IS the actual average I should have ( It says low to mid 80's on admin. page but from seeing that someone last year with a 90 got rejected I don't know if this is dependable lol)

Also, how is the internship program is anyone ACTUALLY in it because I've searched this forum and couldn't find anyone who's currently or already did their internship.

As well, can you get into Social Sciences I and then transfer next year to Comerce II without taking summer school?

Thanks and hopefully I'll be at mac next year!
Old 12-18-2010 at 02:54 PM   #2
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

:\ people got rejected with 90 last year? that's funny... when I applied last year I got early acceptance in february with a midterm average of 84%.

it really depends on the pool applying to business in that year. if there are many people applying with high marks, they'll raise the entrance mark range, so it's kind of hard to say what exactly will get you in or not. just try to get the highest average possible because you never know.

Last edited by anon491 : 12-18-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-18-2010 at 03:00 PM   #3
Yakattack
Chatbot 2.0

Liked: 80 Times

I got in with an 84-86, dont remember what the exact number was

For the internship could probably ask JEFF_CHAN, think he might be going in for the internship, no idea tho
Old 12-18-2010 at 03:57 PM   #4
ABCDXYZ

yea alright I'll ask him about the internship then

thanks for the reply everyone!
Old 12-18-2010 at 05:54 PM   #5
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Getting rejected by Canadian universities with 90s average? BS.

Yes you can transfer from socsci I to commerce II. There are certain courses you gotta take and make sure you have at least a 7.0GPA average to be considered. No failed or repeated courses either.

edit/

You can ask JEFF_CHAN about internships. I think he's doing one right now. >_>

</creepy>

edit/

6 Units: Economics 1A06 OR both Economics 1B03 and 1BB3
3 Units: Computer Science 1SA3 OR Computer Science 1TA3 OR Computer Science 1MA3 OR Multimedia 1A03 OR Engineering 1D04
3 Units: Math 1M03 OR 1A03 OR 1LS3 OR 1X03 OR 1Z04
3-6 Units: Anthropology 1A03, Geography 1HA3, Psychology 1X03 or Sociology 1A06

*You might have to take Math 1F03 OR Math 1K03 depending on your circumstances.
*You might have to take Stats 1L03 depending on your circumstances.

Internal Transfer To Commerce II: http://www.degroote.mcmaster .ca/ug...I I09_000.pdf

Last edited by Desda : 12-18-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-18-2010 at 06:37 PM   #6
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
Getting rejected by Canadian universities with 90s average? BS.
for business.
Old 12-18-2010 at 09:35 PM   #7
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Quote:
I've seen people getting rejected with 90 averages
Here at Mac? I find that a little hard to believe...

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 12-18-2010 at 11:17 PM   #8
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Try to get into the program directly from high school. Internal transfers are even more competitive.
Old 12-20-2010 at 04:44 PM   #9
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watoko View Post
Try to get into the program directly from high school. Internal transfers are even more competitive.
I concur.

does that confuse u wen i said i concurred but i also inserted a head-shaking icon? o: is ur mind blown?

Entropy likes this.
Old 12-21-2010 at 05:07 PM   #10
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

Being a business student (year 3) I will answer this as best as I can.

I got into Business I with an 84% high school average. This is typically around the minimum average for entry into Business, but I would consider a "safe" average to be 86%. If you've heard of people being rejected with a 90 average, it's not at McMaster for Business, or at least not because of their average (ie missing courses from high school). It could be at Mac for Health Sciences, which has an extremely high entry average, or it could have been at another Business school although the only two Business schools I know of that has an entry average of 90 or above are Schulich (York U) and Ivey (Western).

It's kind of personally insulting to hear that McMaster is considered a "B" school though. Not saying it's your fault, but if that's the consensus, it's very wrong. While we aren't known for our general sciences, or humanities, the DeGroote School of Business is one of the best in Ontario (I would rate it competitively with Western's Ivey, York's Schulich and Toronto, considered to usually be the best for Business), Mac's Engineering program is one of the best in Canada, our Nursing program is excellent and we have a phenomenal Health Science program. Our Social Science program is very underrated (see below).

In the Academic Ranking of World Universities, which is a very reputable ranking organization, we are currently ranked 88th in the World, and in Canada that is only behind Toronto (27th), UBC (36th) and McGill (61st). We are ranked 40th in the World by the same organization for our Social Sciences program, and 51st for our Medicine program. Mac's MBA program is ranked in the top 100 in the world (coincidentally, also 88th) by the Financial Times.

In recent years we have been leading more developments with the Business program. We were the first English university in Canada to have a live stock trading floor, and we pioneered the successful Canada's Next Top Ad Exec program.

We're a good school, please don't take us for a "B" school, that's kind of absurd.

About the internship program, it's very good through Mac and better than a lot of co-op programs since co-op doesn't pay. We give out about 90 internships every year (out of ~150 applicants).

Watoko likes this.
Old 12-21-2010 at 06:16 PM   #11
ABCDXYZ

Thanks for the replies everyone!
and bcars I didn't mean to insult you lol what I mean't by b-schools is Business School's, not "b" as a grading
Old 12-26-2010 at 01:57 PM   #12
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

Oh, sorry I thought you were calling McMaster a lower-tier school.
Old 12-26-2010 at 06:21 PM   #13
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF_CHAN View Post
Here at Mac? I find that a little hard to believe...
Meh, could be that's their average when you factor in derpin' highschool courses (i.e. Law, Travel and Tourism, Philosophy.etc), which McMaster does not consider in their top six.
Old 12-26-2010 at 09:19 PM   #14
jcbr100

when i was in highschool my guidance councelor called the business dept and they told us that it would be better for astudent to repeat grade 12 then to go into social sci and then tranfer cuz its a waste of time and money ...

also if u think ur marks are low.. like functions then u can always upgrade at night school thats wat i did and i ended up getting a 91 avg and lots of scholarships
its the best and easy wayy cuz we dont have to take hard ass classes like chem
and i didnt take calc in highschool i took it in summer school and it was easier and didnt even count as my top 6

so just take data and functions
Old 12-30-2010 at 09:12 AM   #15
ABCDXYZ

Thanks guys

and jcbr I don't know if I should really take night school to upgrade because mcmaster doesnt have a minimum average needed for its prereq. They said as long as your total average is within the range then its good but I'm not getting a 50 or 60 so hopefully no worries (yn)