MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
School Of Business (DeGroote School of Business) Chad Academics 58 09-12-2011 10:53 AM
what to go into in Business? luna Academics 8 12-17-2010 08:47 PM
Software/Hardware/Business/Music Guys - want to help start a business? benjs Volunteering Opportunities 2 12-11-2010 09:05 PM
Business Co-op kuruczpa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 09-17-2010 08:16 AM
Mac Business I :D MTK3 Introduce Yourself 5 06-24-2010 01:43 AM

McMaster Business I

Old 02-26-2011 at 11:55 AM   #16
ABCDXYZ

Liked: 0 Times

Sorry to bump this thread again,

But I just realized mcmasters commerce program doesn't offer a major in accounting and financial managment but a minor in it :S.

Does McMaster offer a major in just accounting or is it a specialization ?
Old 02-27-2011 at 09:13 PM   #17
Goran

Liked: 43 Times

Yeah you can only have a "specialization" in accounting if you are a business student, a minor is only for people who are in other programs.

Your major is Commerce and its up to you if you want to specialize in one of the business sub-sections.

As for the requirements I wouldn't worry about it too much. I got in with a 86% because they only count your top 8 uni level courses in highschool (this includes gr.12 uni level English and 2 Maths). TAKE ALL THE MATHS!! The one thing I regret is not taking calculus in highschool because they make you take an extra calc here at Mac if you don't have the gr.12 credit
Old 02-27-2011 at 11:24 PM   #18
melodicdream

Liked: 10 Times

I've met someone this year who was rejected from Mac but accepted to Rotman with his 90 + average but I didn't ask the details. I'm thinking it's because he did badly in some required course/ prereq or something.

As for accounting, like Goran said, you can't major in it but you can "specialize". There are certain courses that you must take at McMaster if you are planning to pursue accounting designations. I believe this also applies for HR.

http://www.degroote.mcmaster .ca/UG/designations.html

The link above provides more information in terms of the different accounting designations you can pursue at Mac.
Old 02-28-2011 at 12:15 PM   #19
ABCDXYZ

Thanks guys!!

and Goran you mean't top 6 U-level courses right? and I was in calculus but I dropped it for data managment and I'm planning to take calc in the summer so I don't have to take pre-calc
I already took advanced
Old 03-29-2011 at 03:59 PM   #20
ABCDXYZ

Sorry to bump this thread.... again.

But I'm currently standing at an 83-84 average, what are the chances for getting accepted? If it says the minimum requirement is low to mid 80's, what is the exact cut off or will it be posted sooner or later in late april?
Old 03-29-2011 at 04:22 PM   #21
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCDXYZ View Post

But I'm currently standing at an 83-84 average, what are the chances for getting accepted? If it says the minimum requirement is low to mid 80's, what is the exact cut off or will it be posted sooner or later in late april?
That is a pretty good mark to get yourself into the program.
If you applied earlier than most, it will give you a better chance as well.
Old 03-29-2011 at 04:32 PM   #22
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCDXYZ View Post

Don't think this is ever posted.
Old 03-29-2011 at 04:37 PM   #23
ABCDXYZ

thanks guys!

I have friends standing at an 81 average, is it possible for them to get accepted as well or is that too low?
Old 03-29-2011 at 06:15 PM   #24
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Seriously don't go. you might have to run into nick bontis, and just other general bros. srs
Old 03-29-2011 at 06:43 PM   #25
Phaint
Account Locked

Liked: 131 Times

I think the cut-off generally sits around 83-84 but it depends on what everyone applied with during your year.

You can cheat the system by beefing up your midterm mark for 2nd semester of high school and then maintaining an 80+ at the end (they send you an acceptance letter stating you must maintain a mark of 80+)