MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Unusual combination...anyone here take both "Psych 2C03" and "Math 1LT3" dumbconsumer Academics 2 06-15-2011 08:09 AM
Why are people abusing the "report" button lately? Ownaginatios General Discussion 49 09-27-2010 06:40 PM
Disturbing Job Ads: "The unemployed will not be considered" Kathy2 Volunteering Opportunities 15 06-29-2010 11:58 PM
McMaster TAs and RAs request "no board" report: Expected Deadline on or around Oct 30 dsahota General Discussion 174 10-21-2009 04:42 PM
Global 16x9 "Report" on Campus Reactors micadjems General Discussion 31 03-18-2009 09:37 PM

McMaster Calls Behavior Uncovered In Investigator’s Report "Disturbing"

A new way to plan Welcome Week, stronger orientation to help develop student leaders, more financial transparency, and ongoing alcohol restrictions for some events are a few of the recommendations in a new report in response to the investigation of student activities within Engineering at McMaster.

An external investigator was hired by the University following allegations focused on two areas: the culture and conduct in the use of songs and a songbook which included sexist and degrading materials and unsanctioned student events that put students at risk. The investigator has now provided his report to the University and Associate vice-president and dean of Students Sean Van Koughnett has developed a second report outlining a recommended action plan in response to the investigation’s findings.

“The findings in the investigator’s report are disturbing,” said provost and vice-president Academic David Wilkinson. “The behavior is unacceptable and while the McMaster Engineering Society had indicated in a document from some time ago that its culture needed to change, it is clear that the pace of change is not sufficient. The University will be implementing all of the recommendations in the dean of Students’ report.”

The dean’s report summarizes the investigator’s findings.
  • The McMaster Engineering Society Executive (MES) and senior Faculty of Engineering Welcome Week representatives put student safety at risk through the organization of unsanctioned events involving excessive, underage drinking and participation of former Redsuits, and an initiation involving invitations to remove clothing.
  • MES Executives and senior Welcome Week representatives who were members of the Redsuits committed a serious breach of trust through their actions and decisions including:
  1. Knowingly violating the Student Event Risk management policy
  2. Intentionally using inappropriate chants off campus
  3. Insufficient financial management and record keeping practices
  4. Once allegations were made public, hindering the investigation by removing and hiding information

See more at: http://dailynews.mcmaster.ca /artic....iiJLfYw0.dpuf
Published by

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 05-01-2014 at 02:08 PM   #2
JayJackson69
Account Locked
Year: Alumni

Liked: 9 Times
All of the findings about drinking during welcome week... you hire an investigator for every faculty during welcome week and id be amazed if the greater percent of welcome week reps weren't drinking like the redsuits during welcome week.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 05-01-2014 at 03:15 PM   #3
Silver
Elite Member
Program: Medicine

Liked: 392 Times
^res reps even drink with students lol
Old 05-01-2014 at 04:07 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Chemical Engineering
Year: Fourth

Liked: 526 Times
initiation to remove clothing. What that is not true

Old 05-01-2014 at 05:41 PM   #5
topkek
Program: Physical Science

Liked: 23 Times
I never had to drink or take off my clothes during last year's engineering frosh. Are they starting to frame us for something we never done?
Old 05-01-2014 at 06:17 PM   #6
HILLyBilly
Account Locked
Year: First

Liked: 13 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topkek View Post
I never had to drink or take off my clothes during last year's engineering frosh. Are they starting to frame us for something we never done?
Why would a faculty fulled of males want you to take off your clothes? That result only applies to attractive females and its only for the more secluded and private events.
Old 05-02-2014 at 12:36 AM   #7
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Chemical Engineering

Liked: 526 Times
I've seen them voluntarily take their shirts off to paint mac eng on their chest and line up in a row. Who the hell hires.. i dont even
Old 05-02-2014 at 09:25 AM   #8
JayJackson69
Account Locked

Liked: 9 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topkek View Post
You clearly didnt take the time to read the article, as that was never stated as having happened at frosh week events with first years in the report...
If Mac is going to come down this hard on engineering, I say look into every faculty and they WILL find underage drinking everywhere. They seem to be acting as if only the engineering faculty is allowing this...
Old 05-02-2014 at 12:31 PM   #9
anon491
Professional Fangirl
Faculty: Science

Liked: 453 Times
It seems that none of you have actually read the whole report, and I mean seriously read the whole thing, don't just skim through.

http://dailynews.mcmaster.ca /wp-co...port-Final.pdf

Its far more extensive than just the points indicated about underage drinking. There was evidence of financial mismanagement, safety violations including EOHSS forms not being filed, rules continuously violated over the years despite assurances to the university that things would be improved, and tampering with evidence during the investigation itself. And I do believe that all faculties need to have their welcome week activities checked over, but that does not excuse what this report has uncovered.

Last edited by anon491 : 05-02-2014 at 12:37 PM.

Chad likes this.
Old 05-02-2014 at 02:42 PM   #10
HILLyBilly
Account Locked
Year: First

Liked: 13 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
It seems that none of you have actually read the whole report, and I mean seriously read the whole thing, don't just skim through.

http://dailynews.mcmaster.ca /wp-co...port-Final.pdf

Its far more extensive than just the points indicated about underage drinking. There was evidence of financial mismanagement, safety violations including EOHSS forms not being filed, rules continuously violated over the years despite assurances to the university that things would be improved, and tampering with evidence during the investigation itself. And I do believe that all faculties need to have their welcome week activities checked over, but that does not excuse what this report has uncovered.
A lot of students were fed with the propaganda and refuse to listen to reason. This is why thankfully, the report also mentioned obstruction of investigation when allegations were made public.
Old 05-07-2014 at 04:04 PM   #11
samd
Faculty: Engineering

Liked: 23 Times
Thanks to ooburii for posting the full text! For those too lazy to read the whole thing, Section 6 summarizes things quite well. For those too lazy to read Section 6, go to Section 4.

As the proud owner of a B.Eng. from Mac, I'm very happy that this investigation was conducted, that discipline was handed out and that change is already under way.

I love beer, sex and dirty jokes, and all my fondest memories from Uni involve at least two of the three. That being said, I've always felt that the Reds make a complete joke out of Engineering as a faculty and as a profession. Engineering is about leadership and innovation, not about desperately trying to look cooler than the guy next to you by shouting "BEER BEER SEX!"

This report just proves what we knew all along: the Redsuits are arrogant, self involved and "lead" by people who just want to be popular.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search