MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't log into my mcmaster email? kuruczpa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 07-18-2010 02:01 PM
McMaster Email vp15 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-30-2010 01:17 PM
McMaster Email Skittles Academics 2 06-27-2010 04:33 PM
mcmaster email help! noghi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 10-21-2009 02:07 AM
McMaster email Zorateus General Discussion 12 09-12-2009 12:40 PM

McMaster Email Use

Old 08-02-2009 at 07:30 PM   #16
zunizoon
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

I am not receiving any mail in my mac email account. Is the email address [email protected] r.ca or [email protected]? or does it even matter?
Old 08-02-2009 at 07:38 PM   #17
u.yousaf

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zunizoon View Post
I am not receiving any mail in my mac email account. Is the email address [email protected] r.ca or [email protected]? or does it even matter?
I think someone mentioned in another thread that it doesn't matter.

Old 08-02-2009 at 08:10 PM   #18
DavidR

Liked: 87 Times

It doesn't matter. You can even send mail to [email protected] (student number) if you wish

adrian likes this.
Old 08-02-2009 at 08:10 PM   #19
webzn

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zunizoon View Post
The alias is usually set up late August. [email protected] r.ca is the official email address. The @mcmaster.ca will be set up as an alias soon, and both should work from that point on

~*Sara*~ says thanks to webzn for this post.
Old 08-02-2009 at 09:20 PM   #20
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiddy View Post
The only problem for me is that when I send an email like that it says from: [email protected] on behalf of [email protected] .ca

I want to know how to only say from my mac email. I think it has something to do with setting it up through the option: "Send through muss.cis.mcmaster.ca SMTP servers (recommended for professional domains)." The only thing is that I don't know the server name nor do I know the port number, so I'm a little bit stuck. If anybody could provide some insight, it would be greatly appreciated. As well, does anyone know when my email will change from [email protected] er.ca to [email protected]?
That's never happened to me before. Whenever I send an e-mail through my gmail account choosing my McMaster e-mail as the sender, it sends it through my McMaster e-mail.
Old 08-02-2009 at 09:25 PM   #21
webzn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
Not any more. If you check the GMail blog, they've fixed that and tell you how to get rid of it.

Do a search for "MUSS outlook" on McMaster's site and you'll get all the info you need.
Its true, Gmail has changed that recently, but, from what I understand, the SMTP servers are only externally accessible for grad students/faculty (ie. univmail). UTS site only lists support for that server. Could you clarify?
Old 08-02-2009 at 09:27 PM   #22
webzn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
That's never happened to me before. Whenever I send an e-mail through my gmail account choosing my McMaster e-mail as the sender, it sends it through my McMaster e-mail.
It does. Both headers are sent to the recipient, but it depends on the program/site they use to read their emails on how it appears.

The official Gmail blog post and information is here:

http://gmailblog.blogspot.co m/2009...s-without.html
Old 08-02-2009 at 10:22 PM   #23
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by webzn View Post
Its true, Gmail has changed that recently, but, from what I understand, the SMTP servers are only externally accessible for grad students/faculty (ie. univmail). UTS site only lists support for that server. Could you clarify?
Yes, Univmail is for grads and faculty but MUSS is for us undergrads (and others). I'm using it right now in Gmail with no problem.

This may help:
http://www.mcmaster.ca/opr/html/mcma...ID%3A11# 1850
Old 08-02-2009 at 10:38 PM   #24
webzn

Quote:
Yes, Univmail is for grads and faculty but MUSS is for us undergrads (and others). I'm using it right now in Gmail with no problem.
Thanks for the tip. Just tested it and works fine. I was under the impression that only univmail was set up for SMTP use. Thanks
Old 08-03-2009 at 12:01 AM   #25
mcinside
Elite Member

Liked: 23 Times

Well, I forwarded my emails to my hotmail account so, if I get a message can I reply from my hotmail account? Will it show "sent on behalf of.."?
Old 08-03-2009 at 09:18 AM   #26
DannyV
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcinside View Post
Well, I forwarded my emails to my hotmail account so, if I get a message can I reply from my hotmail account? Will it show "sent on behalf of.."?
Just forwarding your McMaster email to another email address (let's call it X) does not give you the ability to send messages using your McMaster email from X's interface.

You have to set up email sending too. I don't know if Hotmail supports that, but even if it does, I'd recommend using Gmail.
Old 08-03-2009 at 11:39 AM   #27
Duarch

Liked: 19 Times

I seem to have run into a bit of a problem when it comes to forwarding my mail. I forward it successfully to my hotmail but I prefer to have a copy in my muss.mcmaster account (in case I need to reply and would prefer to have the previous e-mails content in it as well). I checked the "keep a copy" box so that I should be getting two of the same e-mail (one in muss.mcmaster and one in hotmail) but for some e-mails, there is only the one copy in my hotmail (despite it being sent to my muss.mcmaster account).

Anyone else having a similar problem?
Old 08-03-2009 at 12:17 PM   #28
DannyV
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duarch View Post
I seem to have run into a bit of a problem when it comes to forwarding my mail. I forward it successfully to my hotmail but I prefer to have a copy in my muss.mcmaster account (in case I need to reply and would prefer to have the previous e-mails content in it as well). I checked the "keep a copy" box so that I should be getting two of the same e-mail (one in muss.mcmaster and one in hotmail) but for some e-mails, there is only the one copy in my hotmail (despite it being sent to my muss.mcmaster account).

Anyone else having a similar problem?
If you leave a copy on your MUSS server the server will get full relatively quickly. The best alternative is to use a local email client (Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.) or use Gmail which allows you to reply from your McMaster email address.
Old 08-03-2009 at 12:36 PM   #29
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Just forwarding your McMaster email to another email address (let's call it X) does not give you the ability to send messages using your McMaster email from X's interface.

You have to set up email sending too. I don't know if Hotmail supports that, but even if it does, I'd recommend using Gmail.
If you have Microsoft Office, you can use Outlook and have email right on your desktop, which in my opinion is even better than Gmail. I use Outlook to manage 4 different accounts, and I can send from whichever one I want with a single click.

I'm not sure if it's still on, but Microsoft had a student special on a while ago where you could get Office Ultimate 2007 (retails for $400-ish I believe) for around $60. That's where I got my copy from.
Old 08-06-2009 at 11:35 AM   #30
mcinside
Elite Member

Liked: 23 Times

So, I actually tried it out on my hotmail account and it does let me send emails through my Mac account, but the only thing is there's the "from [Mac account] sent on behalf of [hotmail account]" which I don't want appearing..I don't know how to fix that.. :S