MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Eng: McMaster Engineering Custom Vehicle Team temptingf8 Request Calendar Event 0 10-04-2010 11:37 PM
McMaster Engineering - Coop MacEng First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 05-25-2008 08:48 PM
McMaster engineering dynast First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 05-13-2008 05:22 PM
McMaster Engineering - 50 years Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-11-2008 09:34 AM
McMaster Engineering Competition! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 12-12-2007 02:36 AM

Mcmaster engineering

Old 03-05-2010 at 01:49 PM   #16
terryboy
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
you will get in, just keep working hard
k thanks
so if i maintain an average above 82 i will get in?
Old 03-05-2010 at 01:51 PM   #17
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

yes, the anticipated cut off range is 81-84 for the engineering program , when i entered mac, i started in life science where the anticipated was 83-87, i had an 85 and received my acceptance letter about a week after they sent out mid term marks from ouac. You should be fine.
Old 03-05-2010 at 02:00 PM   #18
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

That average looks like it will get you in, just maintain it, the higher the better. A friend of mine got into Mac Eng last year with an 80 average and the cut off went from 80-82 to 83-85 but he still got in. But it also depends on how many people are applying to the program and what their marks are, so always try and improve.
In anycase you should be fine.

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

Old 03-05-2010 at 04:37 PM   #19
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

Ya, you're marks are fine.

You're in high school, and about this time of the year every grade 12 starts worrying about where they'll end up next year.

As far as advice about getting in: In the case that you don't (which is highly unlikely) there are other ways of getting into Mac Eng. For one, we have a B.Tech program, which is very similar to engineering, and they accept applications year round, and is pretty easy to get in (77% i believe), and its pretty simple to transfer from B Tech to engineering in 2nd year if you can keep your marks up.

Also, mcmaster has a waiting list for people that don't get in first try. at the end of the year, when the final marks come out, some people dont meet the minimum required average (79% last year), so to replace them Mac goes into the waiting list and picks people that meet that average, so even if you don't get in (which again is unlikely), there are other ways of coming here.
Old 03-05-2010 at 04:40 PM   #20
lmasud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Doing co-op in first year isn't that smart. You hardly know anything useful to any employers after first year...
I agree with that, but it sux to see other ppl from places like 'loo getting $22 an hour co-op jobs, while I spend my summer at home
Old 03-05-2010 at 04:44 PM   #21
terryboy
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmasud View Post
Ya, you're marks are fine.

You're in high school, and about this time of the year every grade 12 starts worrying about where they'll end up next year.

As far as advice about getting in: In the case that you don't (which is highly unlikely) there are other ways of getting into Mac Eng. For one, we have a B.Tech program, which is very similar to engineering, and they accept applications year round, and is pretty easy to get in (77% i believe), and its pretty simple to transfer from B Tech to engineering in 2nd year if you can keep your marks up.

Also, mcmaster has a waiting list for people that don't get in first try. at the end of the year, when the final marks come out, some people dont meet the minimum required average (79% last year), so to replace them Mac goes into the waiting list and picks people that meet that average, so even if you don't get in (which again is unlikely), there are other ways of coming here.

Thank you guys for all the advice and tips
Old 03-05-2010 at 04:50 PM   #22
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
I agree with that, but it sux to see other ppl from places like 'loo getting $22 an hour co-op jobs, while I spend my summer at home
lol that's true. They never get to have a break though, so you can at least be happy that McMaster lets you to keep your sanity .
Old 03-05-2010 at 06:29 PM   #23
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

You'll get in for sure...Im currently in first year eng and let me tell you. Im 100% sure that some of the people currently in engineering did not have an 80 avrg...bcuz seriously...some people are just dum. esp the people who fail econ 1b03 or drafting... tsk tsk

SciMania likes this.
Old 03-05-2010 at 08:24 PM   #24
waddlesworth

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
You'll get in for sure...Im currently in first year eng and let me tell you. Im 100% sure that some of the people currently in engineering did not have an 80 avrg...bcuz seriously...some people are just dum. esp the people who fail econ 1b03 or drafting... tsk tsk
ahahaha awesome.
Old 03-05-2010 at 09:16 PM   #25
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Yeah, or those who can't read/write/speak proper English.

SciMania, xo.monica like this.
Old 03-05-2010 at 11:35 PM   #26
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
No, they probably all had the average. McMaster doesn't check which highschools people came from, so a lot of people from middle-of-nowhere Canada get in with like a 95% average, yet still have never done one chem or physics lab in their lives.
Old 03-05-2010 at 11:37 PM   #27
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
No, they probably all had the average. McMaster doesn't check which highschools people came from, so a lot of people from middle-of-nowhere Canada get in with like a 95% average, yet still have never done one chem or physics lab in their lives.
Very true. Not to mention the fact that some teachers sometimes just throw marks at students to get them to stop complaining about test marks, labs, acceptances blah blah.

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

Old 03-06-2010 at 01:03 AM   #28
lmasud

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmzz View Post
Yeah, or those who can't read/write/speak proper English.
lol, its ironic cause its the ones that cant speak english that have the highest marks, and get the TA positions

Entropy, Boolean like this.
Old 03-06-2010 at 10:37 AM   #29
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
lol, its ironic cause its the ones that cant speak english that have the highest marks, and get the TA positions
Ugh...which is kinda stupid in my opinion. I mean..why hire TAs that cant speak english?!?!
Old 03-06-2010 at 05:00 PM   #30
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Proof. I've had equal number of english proficient to esl TA's.

Grades, is an entirely different story. That I think depends more on the person then anything else. It just so happens many people who don't proficiently speak english come from an background where there is greater push at doing well in academia.