MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Switching from Software Engineering to Game Design Rail24 Academics 6 06-15-2010 01:44 PM
Minor in Software Engineering? Jeger First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 06-11-2010 02:25 AM
Software Engineering & Management TheAxtmann Academics 16 06-02-2010 08:20 AM
Mac's Software engineering and game design program rick Academics 5 09-09-2009 09:22 PM
Software Embedded versus Game Design? Ownaginatios Academics 31 03-20-2009 12:43 PM

McMaster Software Engineering Game Design

Old 01-09-2010 at 12:19 PM   #1
andru

Liked: 3 Times

McMaster Software Engineering Game Design
There's very little information about this particular strand of soft eng even on mac's website (last updated 2005) and I have a couple questions..

Any info I can find about this program always mentions designing "user-interface"; what is this exactly? Does it have to do with the functionality between the controller and the control of the game character? Do we actually learn most aspects of game design or does it focus on this "user-interface"? How well-rounded will my education be after grad, will I have enough knowledge to make simple indie games from scratch, or will I only be able to focus on interface?

Can we realistically find ourselves a job in one of the more well-known studios after graduation, or will we be stuck making carnival games for the DS? Does the extra Master's degree make a difference? Should we see a requirement to make well-produced mod(s) before we find job in a reputable studio?

Are there any coop opportunities related to game design / soft eng? Will they be available through OSCAR? Can we find them in other places? Somewhat off-topic, if I find a 4 month coop job at the end of this year, will I still be able to do another 4 next yr, and then a 16 month internship for a total of 24 months? Again, I would be most interested in a game design coop.

I know a couple people on this forum are in the game design program and would love to hear about their experiences thus far, as this is currently the direction I am planning to go in.

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2010 at 03:55 PM   #2
RTinkess31

Liked: 43 Times

I can't answer questions about software specifically but for the co-op you can do as much of it as you wish, you just need at least 12 months to get the co-op distinction when you graduate
Old 01-09-2010 at 04:45 PM   #3
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Well, I'm only second year, so I haven't done much yet in terms of game design. What I can tell you though is that you definitely won't be touching any real game design stuff until third year. The second year courses for game design are one only for learning how to use photoshop and one for learning final cut pro (both completely useless in my opinion...).

To be honest, I highly doubt most of the people coming out of game design actually get hired to make games because a) even the largest game companies only have a few software engineers, b) the game design program here is not accredited and c) undergraduate game design doesn't exist anywhere else.

If it weren't such a pain in the ass at this point, I'd probably consider switching to embedded systems. At least their I'd be learning actual useful stuff about electrical systems, rather than bullshit on how to use programs that realistically make sense only for multimedia students.

Last edited by Ownaginatios : 01-09-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-09-2010 at 05:24 PM   #4
andru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Well, I'm only second year, so I haven't done much yet in terms of game design. What I can tell you though is that you definitely won't be touching any real game design stuff until third year. The second year courses for game design are one only for learning how to use photoshop and one for learning final cut pro (both completely useless in my opinion...).

To be honest, I highly doubt most of the people coming out of game design actually get hired to make games because a) even the largest game companies only have a few software engineers, b) the game design program here is not accredited and c) undergraduate game design doesn't exist anywhere else.

If it weren't such a pain in the ass at this point, I'd probably consider switching to embedded systems. At least their I'd be learning actual useful stuff about electrical systems, rather than bullshit on how to use programs that realistically make sense only for multimedia students.
damn.. doesn't sound very promising. so that makes 2 years of generally useless material in terms of game design. however, as you are only in second year, you can't fully judge the program. it does seem like there are quite a few 3rd and 4th year game related programs. hopefully a 3rd or 4th year student could enlighten us.

This does make me weary of the game design program though, the outdated website and lack of info has worried me. Makes me think that they haven't really changed the program in 5 years, and it is a rapidly changing industry.

The main reason I came to mac was for the game design program, I chose it over the other universities as I'm a Hamiltonian. Now that I'm becoming familiar with mac's programs and what not, and reading up on the forums, I've read that soft eng professors in general are ass and now that the game design program may not be focused in the right direction.

To me, it would make sense to go deep into C++ (game industry standard), and simply learn how to work on the various different parts of games. Photoshop? That does seem like a complete and utter waste of time. It seems like this program is one person's specialty (interface design) and one persons narrow look into the game design industry.

as for undergrad game design not existing anywhere else,

carleton university has a game development stream: http://www.scs.carleton.ca/school/st..._developme nt

you can minor in game development at western:
http://www.westerncalendar.u wo.ca/2009/pg663.html

Windsor has a bachelor of comp sci - game development program:
http://www.cs.uwindsor.ca/download/1778/Gaming.pdf

guelph has a game programming course, but wouldn't call it an undergrad degree with the designation:
http://www.cis.uoguelph.ca/courses/u...ram ming.html

My other option would probably have been western. All things considered though, mac still does leave you with a software engineering degree, with some extra courses related to 'interface design' tacked on. So, even if you can't get into the game design industry, you have a soft eng degree. I do see your point with just going into embedded systems instead though. I hope we can get some upper year game design students to pull back the curtain on this mystery soft eng stream and if it is realistic to get a job in game design after it.

Last edited by andru : 01-09-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-09-2010 at 05:47 PM   #5
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by andru View Post
My other option would probably have been western. All things considered though, mac still does leave you with a software engineering degree, with some extra courses related to 'interface design' tacked on. So, even if you can't get into the game design industry, you have a soft eng degree. I do see your point with just going into embedded systems instead though. I hope we can get some upper year game design students to pull back the curtain on this mystery soft eng stream and if it is realistic to get a job in game design after it.
Oh, I didn't know that other universities had game design programs as well. They left the impression at the information night for software engineering that McMaster was unique in having a game design program :p.

And yes, the information is horribly outdated for game design. The course description said we were going to be learning how to design websites as well for 2GA3 (the photoshop class)... which did not happen.

To be honest, my view is biased because I soon came to a realization after being with other game design students that I don't really fit the profile. I don't really play video games much (maybe a bit over the summer) and I'm not really interested in the more artistic side (I found I was pretty much the only one not ecstatic about learning how to edit movies).

I think I may look into visiting the engineering office and seeing if I can switch to embedded on Monday :p.

P.S. For some reason it seems like 4th year game design students are impossible to find. I've talked to a few third years, but that's it.
Old 01-09-2010 at 07:08 PM   #6
snaps

Liked: 32 Times

Im in 3rd year embedded systems.

You have to realize that this program is Software Design. It is not software development. This means that your main concern will not be coding. You will be learning about how to take requirements from a client, how to chooose what is best for the client, know which programming language to choose from, create an architecture for the program, know which libraries you will use and which ones you will have to implement.. Find the best algorithm for a particular problem. In the case of object oriented design, design the classes, methods, create numerous diagrams explaining your design.. Split up the work between individuals, learn teamwork leadership skills.. etc

With the Game Design strand, you will have a couple extra courses related to graphics, etc..

A lot of people do not understand the difference between design and implementation. If you are looking to become a C++ programmer, you are in the wrong field. I have a couple of friends that go to college for that. Software Engineering is design of software. You would end up designing the c++ classes and handing it over to other programmers. And trust me, it takes more skills to design than implement.

You will be programming throughout your studies but it is only to help you understand the design. For example, in second year, I believe you will be doing some OCaml, C, Java... third year, you will be doing some assembly in the MIPS architecture and the Intel architecture, Java, I believe some C#.. I dont really remember.. But again, it's not about the languages you learn. Learning the syntax of a language takes maybe a day.. But understanding what every line of code does in the low level and how it affects the performance is another thing. You will have to know the computer inside and out to optimize the design and make it efficient.

I find that game design in mac is well respected and will prepare you, if you are willing to learn. It will give you an opportunity for software designer... but would you get a job as a programmer with Software Engineering degree? why not. Is this better than going to college? yes. Is it gonna be way harder? yes.. will you like the material? I am not sure.. I know a couple of people that dropped out of game design thinking that it is all about games, graphics, creating 3d models of monsters.. but it is mostly design.

the best thing for you to do is look at the courses you would be taking at game design and see what they are about.

If I said something incorrect, please correct me
Old 01-09-2010 at 07:29 PM   #7
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaps View Post
I know a couple of people that dropped out of game design thinking that it is all about games, graphics, creating 3d models of monsters.. but it is mostly design.
I don't really know man, I'm not liking it because that seems like that's only what it's about so far.
Old 01-09-2010 at 10:42 PM   #8
andru