MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Censorship on the CUPE 3906 Unit 1 Bargaining Blog? hummeld General Discussion 151 11-03-2009 09:21 PM
CUPE 3906 is Self-Serving InYoutoGive General Discussion 72 11-02-2009 10:54 AM
CUPE 3906 Unit 1 Gets Strong Strike Mandate: 50% Higher Turnout Than 2006 dsahota MacInsiders Announcements 4 09-24-2009 06:30 PM
McMaster CUPE strike? Husnia General Discussion 14 02-02-2009 08:08 PM

McMaster Walks Away from the Bargaining Table: CUPE 3906 On Strike 8am November 2nd

Old 10-31-2009 at 11:29 AM   #15
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlchemistX View Post
Cool. Im in your Monday accounting tutorial, so will it be held in the same place?
As far as I know right now; Yup!

Just keep checking ELM in case something happens.

Old 10-31-2009 at 11:30 AM   #16
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times
Sigh. This is going to affect a lot of students in a negative way, especially first year. This year, most of my classes don't have a tutorial and the ones that do, I could do without. But when I was in first year... they helped so much. I just hope this is settled soon, and long before finals.

Old 10-31-2009 at 11:37 AM   #17
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times
This sucks.

F you CUPE and McMaster's bargaining team.

Sorry to all the TAs who don't want to strike or see their reputations ruined by all this garbage.

Students aren't going to realize it but this really isn't the fault of the TAs since as we can see they weren't allowed to vote on whether or not they wished to strike and they aren't being allowed to vote on the final offer of the University.

That is all total friggin' bs and the TAs are really in a shitty position here. Many of them seem to be anti-strike, want to help their students and wish they had an opportunity to vote on what CUPE is rejecting on their behalf. If they do decide to help their students they will be called scabs and their shitty Union is threatening to take action against them. If they decide they need to strike (in order to get strike pay, or not have legal action taken against them) for whatever reason many of them will no doubt be striking with the guilt that they are letting fellow students down. TAs are students too, they know how it would feel if their TAs went on strike and that's a lot to have on your shoulders over something completely out of your control. They're forced into this Union and they aren't being allowed to vote on things that affect them deeply. Quite frankly this garbage should be illegal.

Infinity, Maegs, malycknm, Taunton all say thanks to sew12 for this post.

Old 10-31-2009 at 12:12 PM   #18
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times
so how exactly does this effect us?

and screw you CUPE, & MAC! We are going to become like York now...

Old 10-31-2009 at 12:27 PM   #19
james2255
Faculty Society VP

Liked: 19 Times
I'm still working. I value the education of my students much more then minor gains made from a new collective agreement.

Afzal, malycknm, Taunton all say thanks to james2255 for this post.

malycknm, Taunton like this.

Old 10-31-2009 at 12:28 PM   #20
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times
Hahaha...that's excellent. I was worried about all these assignments I had.

Old 10-31-2009 at 12:35 PM   #21
sew12
Elite Member

I'm still worried about TAs even though many of them have claimed they will still work.

Their union is threatening them if they continue to work and I don't agree with this. I want my TAs to continue teaching me but on the other hand I don't want to see them suffer any of the negative consequences that would come with crossing the picket line. Many TAs clearly don't agree with what the union is doing and they should be allowed to do as they please but threatening them is awful and should not be allowed.

Old 10-31-2009 at 12:42 PM   #22
Moo!io

Liked: 21 Times
This is entirely the reason why unions shouldn't be allowed anymore. It's simply another situation where people's wants and needs won't be addressed because of a few whiny union heads who hold all the power. Fail, CUPE. Epic fail.

{ don't stop the music }

DannyV, malycknm, Taunton all say thanks to Moo!io for this post.

malycknm, sew12, Taunton like this.

Old 10-31-2009 at 12:51 PM   #23
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo!io View Post
This is entirely the reason why unions shouldn't be allowed anymore. It's simply another situation where people's wants and needs won't be addressed because of a few whiny union heads who hold all the power. Fail, CUPE. Epic fail.
Exactly.

Clearly this is more about the people at the top wanting to exert their power than what the union membership actually wants.

If CUPE was actually fighting for what their membership wants they would allow their membership to decide if the deal being offered by McMaster is acceptable or not. Flat out rejecting the offer without taking it to a vote is ridiculous. If the TAs are unhappy with the offer and find it unfair they will reject it. Allow TAs to decide what is right for them, not CUPE.

AYuen, malycknm, Moo!io, Taunton like this.

Old 10-31-2009 at 01:02 PM   #24
smiles

Liked: 20 Times
Is this really about the pay for TAs? I would volunteer for the job gladly for the experience.

Old 10-31-2009 at 01:07 PM   #25
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james2255 View Post
I'm still working. I value the education of my students much more then minor gains made from a new collective agreement.
Looks like accounting tutorials will be running smoothly!

Old 10-31-2009 at 01:10 PM   #26
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Hahaha...that's excellent. I was worried about all these assignments I had.
I have like 4 due next week.

Old 10-31-2009 at 02:08 PM   #27
pesavage

Liked: Liked 4 Times
CUPE Censorship, and a call for signatures to force a strike vote
The following post we attempted to put on the CUPE bargaining blog has definitely been censored. Later posts were approved, but ours was not.
Hence we're taking it here.

We were going to avoid posting this on a public site until the union forced our hand, but it looks like the bad blood is already out there.
Regardless of your position on the terms of the offer or unions in general, the issue here is the legitimacy of the strike mandate vote. Is the “strike mandate vote” really representative of a “strike vote” by the union? We would argue no, but there are ways of eliminating this confusion.
Please follow the steps listed in the following email we have just sent out to other CUPE 3906 members if you are interested in taking concrete action.

Dear Fellow CUPE 3906 members,
We are concerned that the strike mandate vote being used to authorize our strike may not be an accurate representation of the democratic will of the CUPE 3906 membership. If you share our concerns, please add your name to the bottom of this email, then email it back to [email protected] Please also forward this to any other CUPE 3906 members you think will benefit from it.
When 40 names are collected, we will submit it to the Union leadership. Although they refused to accommodate our previous requests to hold such a vote, they are required by CUPE Local 3906 By-law 9c to hold a special membership meeting when a request is presented by 40 or more members.
Thank you in advance for your support in this urgent matter that affects us all, as well as the entire McMaster community.

To the President of CUPE Local 3906,
We, the undersigned members of CUPE 3906, request a special membership meeting as soon as practically possible and within 36 hours of this submission to discuss the University’s final offer and hold a strike vote as to whether or not to accept the offer.
If this is deemed incompatible with the CUPE 3906 Constitution (with specific reference to the relevant provision), then we request a special membership meeting as soon as practically possible and within 36 hours of this submission to discuss the legitimacy of the earlier “strike mandate vote” and vote on the question “does the ‘strike mandate vote’ on the question ‘do you authorize your elected bargaining team to call a strike if necessary in order to achieve a fair collective agreement?’ constitute a legitimate strike vote?”
We also request that any strike action be postponed until after this special membership meeting.
Sincerely,
Patrick Savage
Trent Toulouse
Stan Govenlock

Old 10-31-2009 at 02:11 PM   #28
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pesavage View Post
The following post we attempted to put on the CUPE bargaining blog has definitely been censored. Later posts were approved, but ours was not.
Hence we're taking it here.

We were going to avoid posting this on a public site until the union forced our hand, but it looks like the bad blood is already out there.
Regardless of your position on the terms of the offer or unions in general, the issue here is the legitimacy of the strike mandate vote. Is the “strike mandate vote” really representative of a “strike vote” by the union? We would argue no, but there are ways of eliminating this confusion.
Please follow the steps listed in the following email we have just sent out to other CUPE 3906 members if you are interested in taking concrete action.

Dear Fellow CUPE 3906 members,
We are concerned that the strike mandate vote being used to authorize our strike may not be an accurate representation of the democratic will of the CUPE 3906 membership. If you share our concerns, please add your name to the bottom of this email, then email it back to [email protected] Please also forward this to any other CUPE 3906 members you think will benefit from it.
When 40 names are collected, we will submit it to the Union leadership. Although they refused to accommodate our previous requests to hold such a vote, they are required by CUPE Local 3906 By-law 9c to hold a special membership meeting when a request is presented by 40 or more members.
Thank you in advance for your support in this urgent matter that affects us all, as well as the entire McMaster community.

To the President of CUPE Local 3906,
We, the undersigned members of CUPE 3906, request a special membership meeting as soon as practically possible and within 36 hours of this submission to discuss the University’s final offer and hold a strike vote as to whether or not to accept the offer.
If this is deemed incompatible with the CUPE 3906 Constitution (with specific reference to the relevant provision), then we request a special membership meeting as soon as practically possible and within 36 hours of this submission to discuss the legitimacy of the earlier “strike mandate vote” and vote on the question “does the ‘strike mandate vote’ on the question ‘do you authorize your elected bargaining team to call a strike if necessary in order to achieve a fair collective agreement?’ constitute a legitimate strike vote?”
We also request that any strike action be postponed until after this special membership meeting.
Sincerely,
Patrick Savage
Trent Toulouse
Stan Govenlock
You should create a petition. It may be a better way to track this than email.

http://www.petitiononline.co m/

Old 10-31-2009
pesavage
This message has been removed by a moderator. .

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search