MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Censorship on the CUPE 3906 Unit 1 Bargaining Blog? hummeld General Discussion 151 11-03-2009 09:21 PM
CUPE 3906 is Self-Serving InYoutoGive General Discussion 72 11-02-2009 10:54 AM
CUPE 3906 Unit 1 Gets Strong Strike Mandate: 50% Higher Turnout Than 2006 dsahota MacInsiders Announcements 4 09-24-2009 06:30 PM
McMaster CUPE strike? Husnia General Discussion 14 02-02-2009 08:08 PM

McMaster Walks Away from the Bargaining Table: CUPE 3906 On Strike 8am November 2nd

Old 10-31-2009 at 10:41 PM   #60
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle View Post
I'd just like to point out (not sure if someone has already) but McMaster has revoked ELM access for all TAs.

I can still see my own courses, but not the one that I'm teaching.

Sucks. :(
That is terrible, you should probably bring that up to your supervisor and see if there is anyone he can talk to. I know for some of my courses all our assignments are submitted to TAs through ELM for marking, I really don't know what the University is playing at with this one. Especially if you submitted your name as being willing to cross the picket line.

I'm sure if you ask a student from your tutorial they would be more than happy to send you anything that students have access to though.

Old 10-31-2009 at 10:44 PM   #61
michelle

Liked: 61 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
That is terrible, you should probably bring that up to your supervisor and see if there is anyone he can talk to. I know for some of my courses all our assignments are submitted to TAs through ELM for marking, I really don't know what the University is playing at with this one. Especially if you submitted your name as being willing to cross the picket line.

I'm sure if you ask a student from your tutorial they would be more than happy to send you anything that students have access to though.
Apparently the CLL has disabled access for everyone. I don't think it's something that they're going to review on a case by case basis. My supervising prof is already aware of the issue, but I think admin people are still treading lightly around the subject. I don't blame them, to be honest.

I doubt that ELM access will be restored to people who cross the line, but I could be wrong. I think it would probably be a logistical nightmare to try to keep up with that.

Old 10-31-2009 at 11:20 PM   #62
zombiejesus

Liked: 80 Times
Are they concerned that TA's might sabotage elm for the strike?

Old 10-31-2009 at 11:26 PM   #63
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times
Um, I still have ELM access to the course that I'm TA'ing for.

Old 10-31-2009 at 11:32 PM   #64
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
Um, I still have ELM access to the course that I'm TA'ing for.
Greg, you realise that when you make the Provost's and Mensa, people aren't going to generalize anything that occurs with you

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

PTGregD says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.

aaront, PTGregD like this.

Old 10-31-2009 at 11:39 PM   #65
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiejesus View Post
Are they concerned that TA's might sabotage elm for the strike?
Impossible.
ELM is a self sabotaging unit.
They're worried that TA's will get it working.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 10-31-2009 at 11:40 PM   #66
creen

Liked: 29 Times
I was attending McMaster last time there was a strike here's what I know from that experience:

1.No buses on campus, unions don't cross other unions lines.

2.You will see cars at the entrances videotaping everything, just in case

3.No tutorials, sure some TAs talk tough that they will show up, I wouldn't get your hopes up when they are faced with their peers walking a picket line. The best way to get your guts hated is to show up for work when your co-workers are walking in the snow. The future interview question when applying for a job with a union; "I see your were a TA at McMaster how did you handle the strike?" Trust me it will not go over well when you say you scabbed.

4. I saved the best for last, some professors will just give everyone a pass instead of marking exams, or essays themselves. So you know that Critical Thinking course that you cant stand, you will probably just get a pass on that.
Other instructors will just reduce work load. How will an instructor know that a TA that shows up today will show up for the duration, they can't and don't.

sinsintome says thanks to creen for this post.

Old 10-31-2009 at 11:48 PM   #67
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times
Can I get a refund?

Oh and, on the lighter side: How does any union know if a TA has crossed the picket line? I mean, TA's have classes too... As far as any striker knows, the guy walking onto campus is going to class.

Old 10-31-2009 at 11:50 PM   #68
michelle

Liked: 61 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
Can I get a refund?

Oh and, on the lighter side: How does any union know if a TA has crossed the picket line? I mean, TA's have classes too... As far as any striker knows, the guy walking onto campus is going to class.
You have to fill out forms in order to keep getting paid.

Old 11-01-2009 at 12:01 AM   #69
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times
Okay well then, now that that's answered: Where's our damn refund line? I think it should be located at:

B108 Wentworth House McMaster University
Hamilton
Ontario
Canada
L8S 4K1

But that's just my opinion

Taunton likes this.

Old 11-01-2009 at 12:07 AM   #70
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creen View Post
I was attending McMaster last time there was a strike here's what I know from that experience:

1.No buses on campus, unions don't cross other unions lines.

2.You will see cars at the entrances videotaping everything, just in case

3.No tutorials, sure some TAs talk tough that they will show up, I wouldn't get your hopes up when they are faced with their peers walking a picket line. The best way to get your guts hated is to show up for work when your co-workers are walking in the snow. The future interview question when applying for a job with a union; "I see your were a TA at McMaster how did you handle the strike?" Trust me it will not go over well when you say you scabbed.

4. I saved the best for last, some professors will just give everyone a pass instead of marking exams, or essays themselves. So you know that Critical Thinking course that you cant stand, you will probably just get a pass on that.
Other instructors will just reduce work load. How will an instructor know that a TA that shows up today will show up for the duration, they can't and don't.

more posts like this and less of everything else (except my posts, they're always awesome)

Old 11-01-2009 at 12:14 AM   #71
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff

Liked: 360 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Greg, you realise that when you make the Provost's and Mensa
lol is there a uber-l33t list above Dean's? Provost> Dean right? What Average do you need to get into that? :S

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 11-01-2009 at 12:16 AM   #72
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
lol is there a uber-l33t list above Dean's? Provost> Dean right? What Average do you need to get into that? :S
12's in 10 courses in one year. So yeah... pretty intense.

Old 11-01-2009 at 12:17 AM   #73
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Simply put: Greg's average.

But in actuality, like Fight0 said, it is 12 in 10 courses in one year.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 11-01-2009 at 12:17 AM   #74
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff

Liked: 360 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight0 View Post
12's in 10 courses in one year. So yeah... pretty intense.
LOL WHAT?! You mean a 12.0 Perfect Average? :O

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search