MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Censorship on the CUPE 3906 Unit 1 Bargaining Blog? hummeld General Discussion 151 11-03-2009 09:21 PM
CUPE 3906 is Self-Serving InYoutoGive General Discussion 72 11-02-2009 10:54 AM
CUPE 3906 Unit 1 Gets Strong Strike Mandate: 50% Higher Turnout Than 2006 dsahota MacInsiders Announcements 4 09-24-2009 06:30 PM
McMaster CUPE strike? Husnia General Discussion 14 02-02-2009 08:08 PM

McMaster Walks Away from the Bargaining Table: CUPE 3906 On Strike 8am November 2nd

Old 10-31-2009 at 08:40 PM   #45
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times
Stefanie, if you show your student ID at the place you purchase your GO pass, you should get it for $187. If they don't accept it as valid, purchase it from Square One.

I called up GO Transit today. I was informed that GO Transit is no longer "allowed to enter campus" during a strike. I think they have their hands tied on that one, because it did not sound voluntary.

Edit: I also remember being told that the following stops were the "ones given, so I'm sure they're the closest ones possible". I'm not sure if GO Transit has an active role in determining what occurs during a strike.

There should be an announcement about this soon but:

GO buses will drop you at Bowman and Main Street.
GO Buses will pick you up at Emerson and Main Street.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Last edited by goodnews.inc : 10-31-2009 at 08:44 PM.

Old 10-31-2009 at 08:41 PM   #46
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times
To be fair, I don't think they're re-routing because of solidarity, I'm relatively sure its to try and avoid delays from picket lines. Which is probably a good idea.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
I called up GO Transit today. I was informed that GO Transit is no longer "allowed to enter campus" during a strike. I think they have their hands tied on that one, because it did not sound voluntary.
Or maybe I'm wrong, that doesn't sound like its because of practical reasons. I want to look into this now...

Last edited by Marlowe : 10-31-2009 at 08:43 PM.

Old 10-31-2009 at 08:45 PM   #47
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times
Quote:
Stefanie, if you show your student ID at the place you purchase your GO pass, you should get it for $187. If they don't accept it as valid, purchase it from Square One.

There should be an announcement about this soon but:

GO buses will drop you at Bowman and Main Street.
GO Buses will pick you up at Emerson and Main Street.
The $226 I pay is with my student discount. I come from Bramalea Go to Mac, its more expensive than from SQ1 to Mac.

I don't actually know where those two stops are, can anyone show me on a campus map of something around where I would go to get to them. I have a rough idea but since they always just come on campus every other time I don't know exactly and I don't want to be missing buses that I pay for and need to get home because of this.

I'm curious as to why they say they're not allowed to enter. The only reason they wouldn't be legally allowed to enter campus is if the University barred them. So I guess the Union will be blocking the entrances but I can't see them as them not being allowed so much as them refusing because they don't want to cause problems for the union and support strike action. Otherwise it makes no sense. There is a terminal on campus, its not illegal for them to enter it so why would they be not allowed?

Old 10-31-2009 at 08:52 PM   #48
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

If you Google Map search those two intersections, you'll get a photograph with your results. If you click on it you'll be able to pan and determine what's close by. I can't give exact directions because I'm not that familiar with that side of campus but once you see it you'll know

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 10-31-2009 at 08:55 PM   #49
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
If you Google Map search those two intersections, you'll get a photograph with your results. If you click on it you'll be able to pan and determine what's close by. I can't give exact directions because I'm not that familiar with that side of campus but once you see it you'll know
Thank you.

Obviously I'll know where we're being dropped off but I just want to make sure I'm clear on where to go to be picked up since I obviously can't go to the terminal thanks to this stupid strike.

Old 10-31-2009 at 08:57 PM   #50
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times
Quote:
Bowman is across from the hospital.

Emerson is across from the new Engineering Building.

Old 10-31-2009 at 09:00 PM   #51
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Bowman is across from the hospital.

Emerson is across from the new Engineering Building.
Do you know which side of the street the drop off an pick up will be. There is a bus shelter showing on Google Maps right behind the new Eng building and another one directly across the street?

Old 10-31-2009 at 09:08 PM   #52
Fa11enAnge1

Liked: 3 Times
Does anyone know what happening with Math 1LS3 ... I know the tutorials are run by the profs themselves...but what about the tests?

Thanks

Old 10-31-2009 at 10:03 PM   #53
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fa11enAnge1 View Post
Does anyone know what happening with Math 1LS3 ... I know the tutorials are run by the profs themselves...but what about the tests?

Thanks
While I don't know for sure, I would heavily bet that tutorials will still be running. Tests will most likely still be going on, although marking will probably take much longer.

Your prof will definitely talk about it during the next lecture.

Old 10-31-2009 at 10:12 PM   #54
michelle

Liked: 61 Times
I'd just like to point out (not sure if someone has already) but McMaster has revoked ELM access for all TAs.

I can still see my own courses, but not the one that I'm teaching.

Sucks. :(

Old 10-31-2009 at 10:14 PM   #55
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle View Post
I'd just like to point out (not sure if someone has already) but McMaster has revoked ELM access for all TAs.

I can still see my own courses, but not the one that I'm teaching.

Sucks. :(
That does suck. It's an impediment to the TA's who want to continue to help their students.

Perhaps we should revert to old-style/revolutionary underground teaching sessions?

I'd love to help any and all TA's who want to continue teaching in any way I can. If there's anything I can do, please let me know!

AYuen likes this.

Old 10-31-2009 at 10:34 PM   #56
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Do you know which side of the street the drop off an pick up will be. There is a bus shelter showing on Google Maps right behind the new Eng building and another one directly across the street?
It will be the same as the flow of traffic; so right side of the street.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 10-31-2009 at 10:35 PM   #57
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

I'd also recommend stopping by the usual GO Terminal and seeing if any (*if!) information has been posted there.
As well, be sure to confirm things with your morning drivers just to be extra certain!

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 10-31-2009 at 10:37 PM   #58
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times
Quote:
I'd also recommend stopping by the usual GO Terminal and seeing if any (*if!) information has been posted there.
As well, be sure to confirm things with your morning drivers just to be extra certain!

I am assuming that Compass got/is getting an update about service over the weekend; so check their website sometime after 11AM or so Monday and there should be new information up. You can also check their bulletin board and/or their white boards...or ask the staff.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 10-31-2009 at 10:41 PM   #59
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
It will be the same as the flow of traffic; so right side of the street.
As you can tell I don't venture off-campus all that often. Also I'm unbelievably directionally challenged. The right side of the street is the opposite side to the school, right? So I just have to go across the street to the bus stop.

I feel so dumb for being in University and still be utterly confused by directions.

Thanks for the tips. I have Monday off so I probably won't be coming to campus so I have some time to get all the info before I have to take the bus again.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search