MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it possible to drop McWork job? viky Volunteering Opportunities 15 05-07-2010 04:35 AM
Help with McWork TMBGiants Volunteering Opportunities 6 03-21-2010 03:52 PM
McWork Joel.Jin Volunteering Opportunities 21 03-12-2010 11:58 AM
McWork Link Confusion TMBGiants Volunteering Opportunities 2 03-06-2010 07:01 PM
McWork Vacation Time? jo87 General Discussion 5 04-15-2009 12:47 PM

McWork Tips

Old 03-02-2009 at 08:09 PM   #1
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

McWork Tips
Im just wondering if anyone had a job through the Mcwork summer program?I've been applying, but curious to know,does anyone has any tips for getting one of these jobs? There are some really good postings, but I wanna make sure Im putting my best out there!Thanks!
Old 03-02-2009 at 09:27 PM   #2
Matt Wright

Liked: 49 Times

Last summer I know someone who worked through the residence maintenance staff and he enjoyed it. It's good money, you get to stay around McMaster, and you have the satisfaction of knowing you have McMaster on your resume.
Old 03-02-2009 at 10:16 PM   #3
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

You need to have financial assistance from OSAP (at least qualify for $1). If you don't, I wouldn't bother applying.
Old 03-02-2009 at 10:20 PM   #4
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

No you don't!

I was accepted for McWork last year (I worked for venture science and engineering summer camp) and you have to fill out more paperwork because you don't get osap, but you can still get it.
Old 03-03-2009 at 10:46 AM   #5
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

If you're on OSAP you are guaranteed McWork approval but like micadjems said, you don't have to be on OSAP to get it.

Old 03-03-2009 at 05:17 PM   #6
Lois
Elite Member

I applied during the summer of first year and was rejected from the McWork program because I didn't qualify for financial aid. & I did fill out the extra form...
Old 03-03-2009 at 05:29 PM   #7
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Just because you filled it out doesn't mean you're going to qualify. You have to be in a certain financial situation in order to qualify. What those conditions are, I don't know, you would have to ask the Financial Aid Office.

Old 03-03-2009 at 07:22 PM   #8
McIntyre

Liked: 173 Times

I don't get OSAP and just recently put in my application. According to the Financial Aid Office they accept 97% of students to the McWork program. Sucks for people who's parents make a significant amount of money but don't financially support their children through University, but it's often difficult to come up with a perfect system.
Old 03-05-2009 at 09:56 PM   #9
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

You don't need to apply to OSAP, but you do need to demonstrate adequate financial need. There are forms on MUGSI. You have to be third year and up to apply. It says they will ignore applications from first and second years. If you didn't qualify last year, chances are, you won't qualify this year either (not saying that's for SURE, but it's probably likely)
Old 03-05-2009 at 10:11 PM   #10
Lois
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McIntyre View Post
I don't get OSAP and just recently put in my application. According to the Financial Aid Office they accept 97% of students to the McWork program. Sucks for people who's parents make a significant amount of money but don't financially support their children through University, but it's often difficult to come up with a perfect system.
Thankfully for grad school, after you've been away from home for a certain number of years you're considered independent.

Still, it's sad that a lot of positions (such as math 1A03 TAs, when I wanted to apply after first year) require OSAP. I can understand where the school is coming from (to be fair and so that they can get government assistance for payments), but that probably explains why some TAs were so awful.
Old 03-06-2009 at 09:56 PM   #11
Sarah13

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherH View Post
You have to be third year and up to apply. It says they will ignore applications from first and second years.
Where did you find this information? I thought the only restriction was that you had to be a returning undergrad (or med student, or MoMac nursing). I'm in second year, not OSAP eligible, but I just got McWork approval on Wednesday...
Old 03-06-2009 at 11:27 PM   #12
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by McIntyre View Post
This is the scenario that I'm in. Unfortunately, there are different circumstances that apply and aren't taken into account, but I'm not going to get into it. Regardless, I was still able to get some OSAP, but next year looks gloomy. I'm really worried about paying off 2nd year, and I know I'm probably going to be heavily in financial debt. I work on the weekends just to try and pay it off, but with rumors of tuition potential 25% (or so I've been hearing repeatedly), it's going to be an even more daunting obstacle. I'm lining up the possibility of working two jobs, one for weekends and one for weekdays, but I know that it's going to physically and mentally straining :/, so that might be difficult to uphold. I'm going to try for this McMaster employment thing, and maybe I'll be able to get in. Then again, I always look at the worst case scenario. Better to be prepared for the worst then to expect the optimum, 'cause that's likely never to happen .
Old 03-07-2009 at 12:43 AM   #13
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah13 View Post
Where did you find this information? I thought the only restriction was that you had to be a returning undergrad (or med student, or MoMac nursing). I'm in second year, not OSAP eligible, but I just got McWork approval on Wednesday...
Here

http://sfas.mcmaster.ca/work_study/jobs.html

"Work programs provide part-time and full-time on-campus employment opportunities for currently registered students who demonstrate financial need.These programs are designed to provide financial aid to students through provision of on-campus employment.
Students must complete an application form and be approved for a work program before accepting an offer of employment. Access to the work programs for international students is available to upper year students only (3rd year and up). Applications received from first and second year students will not be considered."

I might have read it wrong though. I think it means the only people who need to be third year and up are international students.

Last edited by HeatherH : 03-07-2009 at 12:47 AM.
Old 03-12-2009 at 11:49 AM   #14
Neeksleep

Liked: 0 Times

i'm in need of some help. I went onto mugsi a few days ago, and applied for the mcwork thingy. I accepted the application form, and then i printed it out like it said. Where do i drop off the printed form? Do i need to bring anything else with me? Also, I'm an OSAP student, is there any more forms that I have to fill out? sorry for asking so many questions, i'm just so confused >_<;
Old 03-12-2009 at 12:34 PM   #15
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

have you tried reading the form?

it's something for employers to fill out. you apply to a mcwork job and if you're hired, you let your employer fill it out. you also have to fill some of it out.