MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
meal plan Jesse.C First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 01-27-2013 06:29 PM
Meal Plan Du92 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 29 07-05-2011 10:11 PM
meal plan/student card and campus food spots Kailoli First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 33 09-03-2009 09:12 PM
Meal Plan VoyozooT General Discussion 17 09-02-2009 09:57 PM
meal plan? sarahc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-18-2008 01:59 PM

Meal plan for international exchange student

Old 03-08-2014 at 05:41 PM   #1
gallagherorla

Liked: 1 Time

Meal plan for international exchange student
Hi,

I'm due to study in McMaster from September - December of this year.
I'm almost certain that I'll apply for on-campus accommodation, but the meal plan idea is putting me off.
I had almost come around to it, when I realised that there was nothing mentioned about reduced rates for international students.
I know Bates offer reduced rates, but what I mean is there doesn't seem to be an even cheaper option for an international student who will only be staying for 4 months.
So, will I have to pay the same amount for a meal plan which will only last me 4 months, but would last a full-time student an entire academic year?
Old 03-08-2014 at 06:08 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

If you withdraw from residence you can get a portion of your money back, so they might have something similar for people who are only in residence for one term. You should email them to clarify this, especially if it's a major factor in your decision.
Old 03-08-2014 at 07:43 PM   #3
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

I don't know that Mac even allows students to apply for residence for just one semester. If I remember right it always has to be a full year.
(22:09:17) Entropy: k now I need someone else to fill in the void
(22:10:14) ChatBot: Desda logs into the Chat.
Old 03-08-2014 at 11:02 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsullz View Post
I don't know that Mac even allows students to apply for residence for just one semester. If I remember right it always has to be a full year.
Definitely not - they allow co-op and exchange students to do it for one term only. The rates per term are on the housing website.
Old 03-09-2014 at 03:24 PM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

Pretty sure regardless you have to get mealplan. Bates does have lower meal plan rates but the rent is higher so in the end its about the same
Old 03-10-2014 at 12:20 AM   #6
Bigmacfatpack

Liked: 13 Times

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend staying on residence if the idea of meal plans are distracting you. Bates and Mary Keyes residences (because they are apartment/suite style) are cheapest. But even the most reduced plan will last you way more than you need for 4 months.

Check out the MIX GROUP on Facebook (McMaster International & Exchange Students Club) a well-run group/club on campus where many international and exchange students communicate about social, housing, finding roommates, getting together, etc.!

Most exchange students I know end up living off-campus somewhere nearby!

Goodluck
Old 03-10-2014 at 09:32 AM   #7
JayJackson69
Account Locked

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
Pretty sure regardless you have to get mealplan. Bates does have lower meal plan rates but the rent is higher so in the end its about the same
I never considered whether or not meal plans were mandatory for residence. If they are not, then instead of buying the cheapest meal plan which would still be far to large, just hold onto your money and buy on a week by week basis. Again though, if what Leeoku said is correct, than this post is insignificant.
Old 03-10-2014 at 10:09 AM   #8
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJackson69 View Post
I never considered whether or not meal plans were mandatory for residence. If they are not, then instead of buying the cheapest meal plan which would still be far to large, just hold onto your money and buy on a week by week basis. Again though, if what Leeoku said is correct, than this post is insignificant.
Meal plans are mandatory for all students living in residence. The issue here is whether or not students who are only in residence for 4 months can pay for half of the meal plan, and/or whether or not they get the money back after the 4 months (I know if you drop out early you get a portion of the money back, but I'm not sure how exactly it works), and/or whether or not they pay the full price regardless.
Again, the hospitality people are in the best position to address this question.
Old 03-10-2014 at 03:11 PM   #9
gallagherorla

Liked: 1 Time

So I've been in contact with my coordinator in McMaster and she really cleared things up ...
Basically, meal plans are still mandatory for international students but we pay approx. half the price, given our short stay. We also typically get housed in Bates, which offers reduced meal plans anyway. I think I'll opt for a smaller meal plan and cook most of my food on the apartments, due to costs and preference. Thank you all for all your help

starfish likes this.
Old 03-11-2014 at 07:17 AM   #10
JayJackson69
Account Locked

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagherorla View Post
So I've been in contact with my coordinator in McMaster and she really cleared things up ...
Basically, meal plans are still mandatory for international students but we pay approx. half the price, given our short stay. We also typically get housed in Bates, which offers reduced meal plans anyway. I think I'll opt for a smaller meal plan and cook most of my food on the apartments, due to costs and preference. Thank you all for all your help
I would never recommend any meal plan other than the smallest option! If you run out of money, you can always add more to your meal plan using your visa at any increment you choose. If you get a large meal plan and dont use it all though, you wont get any of that leftover balance returned you to.