MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Off-Campus Meal Plan ? resh.jyoti General Discussion 3 09-17-2010 09:54 AM
Study Spots on Campus..... shay2014 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 08-13-2010 05:08 PM
Food/ Meal Plan questions patronized First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 04-24-2010 04:45 PM
Off campus housing and meal plan Richa Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 5 03-02-2009 04:08 PM
Study Spots / Hidden places on campus hmmmcurious General Discussion 32 12-14-2008 09:45 PM

meal plan/student card and campus food spots

Old 09-03-2009 at 04:12 PM   #16
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

I'm not putting vegetarans down though... the more of you there are, the more meat there is for me!

syaseen likes this.
Old 09-03-2009 at 04:13 PM   #17
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
This is off-topic. If you want to talk about vegetarianism, please do it in another thread.
Calm down... threads go off topic all the time
Old 09-03-2009 at 04:14 PM   #18
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
This is off-topic. If you want to talk about vegetarianism, please do it in another thread.
Well, vegetarian is kind of related to this thread... it is now that I mention:

Bridges is the vegetarian campus food provider. I like there soy nuggets ^-^
Old 09-03-2009 at 04:16 PM   #19
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Calm down... threads go off topic all the time
LOL. I am calm.

Danielle (lorend) just wanted us IAs to prevent things from going off-topic.

This has evolved from places on campus that don't accept the meal plan/student card to vegetarianism :|
Old 09-03-2009 at 04:18 PM   #20
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
LOL. I am calm.

This has evolved form meal plan/student card to vegetarianism :|
Yes, I know we're all supposed to try to keep things on-topic... it's impossible to do that perfectly though, and sometimes people don't want to throughly discuss the offshooting topic, so if it's transferred to a new thread, it dies...

It's an inherent problem with the traditional message board system... something Google Wave will likely fix.
Old 09-03-2009 at 04:19 PM   #21
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
LOL. I am calm.

This has evolved from places on campus that don't accept the meal plan/student card to vegetarianism :|
But everything relates back to food XD.
Old 09-03-2009 at 04:26 PM   #22
Lois
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syaseen View Post
But everything relates back to food XD.
That's like saying a post about manufacturing globes isn't off-topic on thread about going to the washroom.

Globe is made --> ends up decomposing eventually --> decomposer is eaten by small animal --> small animal is eaten by a human --> human gets a stomach ache from eating the animal --> has to go the washroom.

Technically it's on topic because it relates back to going to the washroom. But, it's definitely a stretch.

edit:

Quote:
Yes, I know we're all supposed to try to keep things on-topic... it's impossible to do that perfectly though, and sometimes people don't want to throughly discuss the offshooting topic, so if it's transferred to a new thread, it dies...

Understandable, however, there are people who made this thread because they are curious about what places don't accept the meal plan. Having to filter through multiple posts of irrelevant information is annoying.

Last edited by Lij : 09-03-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-03-2009 at 05:49 PM   #23
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post

Bridges is the vegetarian campus food provider. I like there soy nuggets ^-^
Bridges is hands down the tastiest place to eat on campus and I'm not even a vegetarian. I'd take their chili any day over chili w/ real meat except maybe Tim Horton's chili and their soy chicken nuggets and sweet potato fries are my favourite thing. Sooooo good and I'm a huge fan of real chicken but I really like the soy stuff.
Old 09-03-2009 at 05:59 PM   #24
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
From "The Comparative Anatomy of Eating", by Milton R. Mills, MD

Anyways:

edit:

Some people enjoy being vegetarian for health/ethical/personal choice. Some people enjoy eating meat for health/ethical/personal choices. I think it's best if we just respected each others choices : )
If you can rebutt me, then I can rebutt you...

Firstly, a single source doesn't change my opinion. I've read much of the opposite, especially the length of the intestines/colon.

Regardless, humans cannot naturally acquire a variety of proteins, vitamins, minerals and fats without an omnivorous diet of some kind. Without supplements, a purely vegetarian/vegan diet doesn't supply all the required nutrients. Since supplements are unnatural, the only other option is to consume some sort of animal products (this is why there are more ovo-laco vegetarians than vegans... I don't think I've ever met a healthy looking vegan).

Finally, if humans weren't meant to eat meat, then we wouldn't be capable of eating meat... we're omnivores, not obligate herbivores.

/end discussion

Last edited by Taunton : 09-03-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-03-2009 at 06:08 PM   #25
Lois
Elite Member

Since you seem to want to continue this,

Quote:
Without supplements, a purely vegetarian/vegan diet doesn't supply all the required nutrients. Since supplements are unnatural, the only other option is to consume some sort of animal products (this is why there are more ovo-laco vegetarians than vegans... I don't think I've ever met a healthy looking vegan).
It's more difficult to get all the required nutrients, yes, but it's definitely possible. Obviously if you're an unhealthy vegetarian, then you won't get the required nutrients. The same applies to unhealthy omnivores/carnivores.

B12 - many types of soy milk and tofu have it
Iron - it's more difficult to absorb non-heme iron, but if you're smart you'll have an acidic component (ex: lime juice, orange juice) with dark leafy vegetables to help absorb it. Many breads and cereals are high in iron as well.
Calcium - I'm lactose intolerant, but there's calcium in soy milk and in foods such as broccoli.

As for essential amino acids, but eating a variety of vegetables and beans you can obtain all of the essential amino acids - I checked when i did my 2A03 lab. Most North American diets have too much protein anyways.

It's definitely possible to be a healthy vegan/vegetarian.
Old 09-03-2009 at 08:28 PM   #26
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
B12 - many types of soy milk and tofu have it
I'm not a vegetarian but I have low B12 and will have to get a monthly shot if I don't boost my levels soon. Can you recommend any specific brands of soy milk that have a lot of B12? Also can that information be found on the label.

I might try out soy milk if it would help be avoid getting monthly shots.
Old 09-03-2009 at 08:32 PM   #27
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
I'm not a vegetarian but I have low B12 and will have to get a monthly shot if I don't boost my levels soon. Can you recommend any specific brands of soy milk that have a lot of B12? Also can that information be found on the label.

For healthy drinks they make it a point to label how much vitamins your getting
Old 09-03-2009 at 08:40 PM   #28
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:

According to the UK Vegan Society, B12 present in plants is unavailable to the human digestive system. The best natural way to get B12 is via shellfish and liver.

http://www.vegansociety.com/food/nutrition/b12/
Old 09-03-2009 at 08:42 PM   #29
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:

If you are not a vegetarian you could just drink normal milk and eat it's by products like cheese and yogurt.
Old 09-03-2009 at 09:02 PM   #30
Lois
Elite Member

Quote:

A cup of Silk Soymilk, probably one of the better tasting ones, provides 50% of the recommended amount of B12.

Quote:
According to the UK Vegan Society, B12 present in plants is unavailable to the human digestive system. The best natural way to get B12 is via shellfish and liver.

http://www.vegansociety.com/food/nutrition/b12/
B12 can be obtained through microorganisms (such as nutritional yeast), while this probably isn't ideal for people who are vegan, it's incredibly difficult to maintain a 100% vegan lifestyle (chewing your food causes you to consume bacteria, anyways).

Most soy products and cereals are fortified with B12, which is how most vegetarians obtain it. If you have an issue with fortification, I'd advise that you stop consuming anything that contains white flour, such as delicious cakes : )