MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Off-Campus Meal Plan ? resh.jyoti General Discussion 3 09-17-2010 09:54 AM
Study Spots on Campus..... shay2014 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 08-13-2010 05:08 PM
Food/ Meal Plan questions patronized First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 04-24-2010 04:45 PM
Off campus housing and meal plan Richa Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 5 03-02-2009 04:08 PM
Study Spots / Hidden places on campus hmmmcurious General Discussion 32 12-14-2008 09:45 PM

meal plan/student card and campus food spots

Old 09-03-2009 at 09:02 PM   #31
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
If you are not a vegetarian you could just drink normal milk and eat it's by products like cheese and yogurt.
I do drink milk and eat cheese. I quite like them actually.

I know liver is the best way to get it but ugh.
Old 09-03-2009 at 09:03 PM   #32
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
A cup of Silk Soymilk, probably one of the better tasting ones, provides 50% of the recommended amount of B12.

B12 can be obtained through microorganisms (such as nutritional yeast), while this probably isn't ideal for people who are vegan, it's incredibly difficult to maintain a 100% vegan lifestyle (chewing your food causes you to consume bacteria, anyways).

Most soy products and cereals are fortified with B12, which is how most vegetarians obtain it. If you have an issue with fortification, I'd advise that you stop consuming anything that contains white flour, such as delicious cakes : )
I consume very little white flour thanks.
Old 09-03-2009 at 09:09 PM   #33
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
I do drink milk and eat cheese. I quite like them actually.

I know liver is the best way to get it but ugh.
Milk is still a good source of B12. There are some studies that show that it may be a better source of B12 than meat because it's not exposed to heat; however, there needs to be further research to actually confirm this.
Old 09-03-2009 at 09:12 PM   #34
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Also, once you have B12 in your system, you keep it for quite a long time. Actual clinical deficiency is quite rare apparently

Antony AC (2003). "Vegetarianism and vitamin B-12 (cobalamin) deficiency". Am J Clin Nutr 78: 3–6.
Old 09-06-2009
mnop984
This message has been removed by a moderator. .