MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What are my chances of getting into Life Science? Need2knowme Introduce Yourself 8 06-16-2011 04:13 PM
Grad School Acceptance Clematis Academics 4 02-25-2011 11:56 AM
What are the chances I can get into Psych 1X03 before classes start? oranges First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-08-2010 01:07 PM
Course Selection chances julianface First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 06-02-2010 05:00 PM
What Are My Chances Of Getting In??? mattgood9 Academics 1 03-24-2010 07:06 PM

Med School Acceptance Chances

Old 05-11-2011 at 03:53 PM   #1
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Med School Acceptance Chances
Want to know your chances of getting in as an Ontario Student?

Dalhousie University- 13.7%
Western- 12.9%
Calgary- 12%
University of Toronto- 11.5%
Alberta- 9.9%
UBC-8.0%
Queen’s University- 8.0% (Old data)
Saskatchewan- 7.6%
University of Ottawa- 7.2%
McMaster- 6.5%
Memorial University of Newfoundland- 5.7%
Manitoba- 5.7%
McGill- 5.3%
Northern Ontario- 4.3%

Western, Ottawa, and Northern Ontario also discriminate depending on where you grew up in Ontario.

If you're from another province your chances are much better at getting into a school. If you just Applied to your in Province Schools:

Maritimes- 38.4%
Manitoba- 35.9%
Saskatchewan- 35.9%
Quebec- 33.7%
Newfoundland- 30.8%
Alberta (Calgary)- 29.7%
Alberta (Alberta)- 29.4%
BC- 22.1 %

What lesson can we draw from this? If you want to be a doctor don't be born in Ontario, because your best shot at getting in pales in comparison to the chance that someone born in another province gets into their Province's Medical School.
Old 05-11-2011 at 04:22 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
Want to know your chances of getting in as an Ontario Student?

Dalhousie University- 13.7%
Western- 12.9%
Calgary- 12%
University of Toronto- 11.5%
Alberta- 9.9%
UBC-8.0%
Queen’s University- 8.0% (Old data)
Saskatchewan- 7.6%
University of Ottawa- 7.2%
McMaster- 6.5%
Memorial University of Newfoundland- 5.7%
Manitoba- 5.7%
McGill- 5.3%
Northern Ontario- 4.3%

Western, Ottawa, and Northern Ontario also discriminate depending on where you grew up in Ontario.

If you're from another province your chances are much better at getting into a school. If you just Applied to your in Province Schools:

Maritimes- 38.4%
Manitoba- 35.9%
Saskatchewan- 35.9%
Quebec- 33.7%
Newfoundland- 30.8%
Alberta (Calgary)- 29.7%
Alberta (Alberta)- 29.4%
BC- 22.1 %

What lesson can we draw from this? If you want to be a doctor don't be born in Ontario, because your best shot at getting in pales in comparison to the chance that someone born in another province gets into their Province's Medical School.
Could you also post the number of in-province students apply compared to out-of-province students as well as the total number of students accepted?

AlexBatt likes this.
Old 05-11-2011 at 04:27 PM   #3
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

What if you were from let say BC and went to Mac for undergrad. Would you be considered in-province for both Ontario and BC schools??
Old 05-11-2011 at 04:30 PM   #4
arathbon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeboi7 View Post
What if you were from let say BC and went to Mac for undergrad. Would you be considered in-province for both Ontario and BC schools??
You'd have to check with individual schools.
Old 05-11-2011 at 04:37 PM   #5
arathbon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Could you also post the number of in-province students apply compared to out-of-province students as well as the total number of students accepted?
http://www.afmc.ca/pdf/2011AdBk.pdf

The data isn't available unfortunately. Just total applied and accepted. And the percentages. I had two reason for posting. The first reason why I posted this is to highlight the fact that the government of Ontario has failed at providing enough places for Ontario students in medical schools. Also the other reason was to let people at mac know that they should consider applying Out of Province.
Old 05-11-2011 at 06:06 PM   #6
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Unfortunately this trend has been around forever. Out of Province is a viable option, provided you can come up with the money to fly interviews. Also, some schools OoP help you out (kinda) - U of Sask (I THINK, its out west) only looks at MCAT.

Also note that many IP candidates have like a 3.4, 3.5 and get in, where in Ontario even an in-province candidate needs a 3.7, if not better.

/Ontario, why?
Old 05-11-2011 at 06:09 PM   #7
Chandlerowns

Liked: 67 Times

At times like this I'm glad I'm from Nova Scotia.
Old 05-11-2011 at 08:08 PM   #8
Carefree

Liked: 25 Times

In comparing Ontario schools, you can't really say which is most competitive to get into using these numbers. For example, your numbers suggest that it is almost twice as difficult to get into Mac than U of T. Whereas, Mac gets MUCH more applicants simply because they have less stringent criteria to apply.
Old 05-11-2011 at 08:20 PM   #9
arathbon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
In comparing Ontario schools, you can't really say which is most competitive to get into using these numbers. For example, your numbers suggest that it is almost twice as difficult to get into Mac than U of T. Whereas, Mac gets MUCH more applicants simply because they have less stringent criteria to apply.
That is true, but again its not really my point to compare Ontario schools (in fact its almost impossible to compare them due to vastly different evaluation schemes) but to point out that Ontario schools in general are far more competitive than applying in-province anywhere else in Canada.
Old 05-11-2011 at 09:11 PM   #10
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

The reason for having region specific preferences is because the school and community wants to invest in students who will be most likely to stay in that area. Especially in areas that are underserviced such as Northern Ontario, rural SWO, etc. this is incredibly important.

I've dealt with the fact that it's incredibly difficult to get into non-Ontario schools as an Ontario student and being from the GTA gives me absolutely no advantage. But there's nothing I can do, and I can understand why they have different criteria.

I still got into two Ontario schools, Dal and Calgary despite being an out of province student. Also, the waitlist for OOP students (there is usually a separate one) moves very quickly as many people get multiple acceptances and often choose a school that is in their home province. I believe 2 cycles ago, Calgary had to accept students that they rejected post-interview because they went through their entire OOP waitlist.

I tried not to let stats like this get to me (even though some of my friends were incredibly annoyed). Just do your best, wow the adcoms and you'll be fine no matter where you grew up

Alchemist11, arathbon, Mowicz like this.
Old 05-11-2011 at 09:25 PM   #11
arathbon
Elite Member

But UWO, Ottawa and NOSM are subsidized by the Province of Ontario not so much by the local community. Lets not forget the Province relies on the GTA for revenue and there are many areas in Southern Ontario that are under-serviced. (I.e., go 20 minutes South of Hamilton Haldimand County), yet its not like U of T or Mac prefers people from this area.

I wouldn't even see this as so bad if the government was no punitive to those who leave the country for medical school and want to come back. With the exception of Manitoba those who graduate from medical schools in Ireland, Australia, the Caribbean, the UK, Europe etc. (basically any place that isn't Canada or the US) are treated as second class doctors and are lucky to even get a residency position.

I plan on voting for whichever party best addresses these issues, either by adding more seats to Mac and U of T, opening up a new med school dedicated to developing Primary Care doctors for Southern Ontario, or increasing residency spots for canadian citizens who are IMG's. I'm not angry about it, but I think SOMETHING has to change.

Last edited by arathbon : 05-11-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-13-2011 at 03:18 PM   #12
emtee10
Mac Lifer

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
The first reason why I posted this is to highlight the fact that the government of Ontario has failed at providing enough places for Ontario students in medical schools.
What are your thoughts on this?
Old 05-13-2011 at 03:34 PM   #13
arathbon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtee10 View Post
What are your thoughts on this?
Encouraging certainly. I think its obvious though that Ontario still has a long way to go. I'm still curious though as to how large they plan on letting each medical school get though. Toronto is over 200 a year which is amazing, but at what point do they stop expanding and open up a new school?
Old 05-15-2011 at 05:32 PM   #14
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
But UWO, Ottawa and NOSM are subsidized by the Province of Ontario not so much by the local community. Lets not forget the Province relies on the GTA for revenue and there are many areas in Southern Ontario that are under-serviced. (I.e., go 20 minutes South of Hamilton Haldimand County), yet its not like U of T or Mac prefers people from this area.

I wouldn't even see this as so bad if the government was no punitive to those who leave the country for medical school and want to come back. With the exception of Manitoba those who graduate from medical schools in Ireland, Australia, the Caribbean, the UK, Europe etc. (basically any place that isn't Canada or the US) are treated as second class doctors and are lucky to even get a residency position.

I plan on voting for whichever party best addresses these issues, either by adding more seats to Mac and U of T, opening up a new med school dedicated to developing Primary Care doctors for Southern Ontario, or increasing residency spots for canadian citizens who are IMG's. I'm not angry about it, but I think SOMETHING has to change.
SWOMEN (UWO), NOSM, ERMEP (Queens/Ottawa) are rural education programs that have partnerships with the local school. They provide clinical opportunities to pre-clerks and clerks as well as post-graduates. So the local communities do invest additional resources into training physicians in that area.

I agree that there should be more spots open. Although we can easily open more spots up in the classroom level, it's more difficult to do so in clerkship where there are a limited number of teaching hospitals available. And having a medical school limiting its students to 1) primary care and 2) a certain location isn't always feasible. Many people in pre-clerkship have no idea what they want to do until they reach clerkship or their idea of what they want to specialize in changes after that experience. To deny students the choice in where they practice or what they can choose in the future is unfair and there is no guarantee that they will stay there indefinitely. Plus, the lack of physicians in rural locations isn't limited to GPs.

Old 05-15-2011 at 06:30 PM   #15
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

I'm a female Aboriginal with a learning disabilty and ADHD so I got in 100%.