MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Medical School Advice mitch Academics 99 10-29-2010 09:31 AM
Partial Course Load and Medical School TLulu Academics 2 09-10-2010 01:34 PM
Ontario Medical School Requirements samtheman89 Academics 54 08-28-2009 02:20 PM
medical school!! ishk33 Academics 13 07-30-2009 09:42 AM
medical school req Avenger Academics 2 10-06-2008 09:10 AM

Medical School Courses

Old 07-31-2010 at 03:42 PM   #1
exuberant888

Liked: 55 Times

Medical School Courses
Hey, I was just wondering whether taking Psych 1X03 and 1XX3 will meet the medical school requirement for having 6 credits of a social science/humanities course.

Thanks
Old 07-31-2010 at 03:51 PM   #2
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

I believe those are both considered science courses.
Old 07-31-2010 at 04:15 PM   #3
paperplanes

Liked: 10 Times

if you look at the list on the mac timetable website, beside each course it will also list what faculty its administered by. psych is under science.
Old 07-31-2010 at 04:21 PM   #4
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 468 Times

Psych is considered both social science and science at McMaster. However, the best bet would be to talk to an academic advisor or the schools you're interested in.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 07-31-2010 at 04:28 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescw1234 View Post
Psych is considered both social science and science at McMaster. However, the best bet would be to talk to an academic advisor or the schools you're interested in.
I would consider just contacting the school you wish to apply to with the course code and description and ask them if it qualifies as a social science course.
Old 07-31-2010 at 05:33 PM   #6
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Many professional schools will consider psych 1X03/1XX3 as social science to fulfill that requirement. I don't know about any med schools specifically, but both UofT and Waterloo's pharmacy programs will accept first year psych ONLY (ie, not any upper year psychs, which count as science), even if they're technically offered under the faculty of science at McMaster. There should be a link on the school's admissions website specifying exactly what counts as social science or humanities.
Old 07-31-2010 at 05:59 PM   #7
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Many professional schools will consider psych 1X03/1XX3 as social science to fulfill that requirement. I don't know about any med schools specifically, but both UofT and Waterloo's pharmacy programs will accept first year psych ONLY (ie, not any upper year psychs, which count as science), even if they're technically offered under the faculty of science at McMaster. There should be a link on the school's admissions website specifying exactly what counts as social science or humanities.
Not really. I'm pretty sure that Psych 2H03/2C03 and a bunch of others are considered Social Sciences.

Old 07-31-2010 at 06:01 PM   #8
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post
Not really. I'm pretty sure that Psych 2H03/2C03 and a bunch of others are considered Social Sciences.
That depends entirely on the school. For the ones I've looked at (UofT and Waterloo for pharm), they both state that ONLY first-year psych can be used to satisfy the social science/humanities requirement. Other schools/programs may vary. I don't think there are any psych courses that would universally be considered social science.