MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I get to Medical school by taking Medical Radiation Science FutureMEDRAD First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 26 03-24-2013 09:43 PM
Medical School and Co-op t.dot Academics 6 05-24-2011 11:42 PM
Medical School Backpack jeboi7 General Discussion 77 01-14-2011 08:22 PM
medical school!! ishk33 Academics 13 07-30-2009 09:42 AM
medical school req Avenger Academics 2 10-06-2008 09:10 AM

Medical School Q&A

Old 08-10-2014 at 08:09 AM   #16
danix450

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljh01 View Post
Hey, congratulations on your acceptance! You must be so ecstatic about going to U of T to pursue medicine
I am going to McMaster for life science, and I hope to pursue medicine after I graduate. I just had couple of questions regarding academic requirements for med schools. I have researched but is still unsure :s
So the first question is, is it true that math (like calculus math) is not necessary for the MCAT?
and secondly, which math course did you take in first year, 1ls3 or 1a03?
I was initially planning on taking 1ao3, but people have told me that I should just take 1ls3 as it is much easier, and math isn't really necessary for med anyway.I would really like to know what you thought of this!
Thank you so much for your time
the only math you'd see on the MCAT are the simple calculations you'd see in physics and chemistry formulas (multiplication/division/addition/subtraction/scientific notation/exponents) Take 1LS3
Old 08-10-2014 at 08:19 AM   #17
danix450

hello and congratulations on your med school acceptance. I have noticed that you posted a few years ago about Classics 2MT3 asking how the course was. Did you end taking it? If so could you please give a brief review of the course? thanks!
Old 08-10-2014 at 09:07 AM   #18
Puneet

Liked: 0 Times

Hey Congratulations of getting into med school!

I have a couple of questions...
1. I don't have that much interest and academic strength in Physics, do you think that would hurt my chances of getting into med school?
2. How many places (rought the # of places) should I volunteer in for a stronger chance of getting into med school?
3. Why did you choose U of T med school?
4. IF you want to, can you please tell your range of GPA? I want to just have an idea about how much I need to score minimum!
5. Do you think that because u did bachelors in biology, that helped you? Were you at a advantage? Or did that not matter?
Old 08-10-2014 at 09:34 AM   #19
akhan676

Congratulations on getting in! And this is very kind of you, thanks a lot!
Old 08-10-2014 at 11:58 PM   #20
Suryaasib

Liked: 0 Times

Congratulations on getting into med school. I hope you enjoy your time there.
I just have one question. What exactly does it mean when they write "30 half year credits or 15 full year credits"?
Old 08-11-2014 at 02:41 AM   #21
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryaasib View Post
Congratulations on getting into med school. I hope you enjoy your time there.
I just have one question. What exactly does it mean when they write "30 half year credits or 15 full year credits"?
If I may jump in.. With Mac's system, that basically just means thirty 3-unit courses or fifteen 6-unit courses. I.e. a total of 3 years/90 units.

Suryaasib says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 09-27-2014 at 05:31 PM   #22
raptorboi

Liked: 6 Times

For the U of T social science pre reqs what courses did you put? I was planning on using psychology courses but I've just found out that they may be considered life science.
Old 09-27-2014 at 08:32 PM   #23
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorboi View Post
For the U of T social science pre reqs what courses did you put? I was planning on using psychology courses but I've just found out that they may be considered life science.
Rather than asking on MI, you should follow the instructions on the admissions website and the OMSAS instructions booklet and email the admissions office to confirm that the specific courses you have are acceptable for the social science requirement. There is also an FAQ regarding whether or not psychology courses are acceptable; you should look into that as well before emailing.
Old 09-27-2014 at 08:56 PM   #24
raptorboi

Liked: 6 Times

Yes I'm doing all the above and will get an answer Monday. Just throwing it out there on MI incase Jovana or anyone else knew.