1BR 2 people apart kyrios91 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 1 05-16-2010 08:33 PM
Sra Meeting Results Chad MacInsiders Announcements 8 04-07-2008 03:37 PM
SRA Meeting Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 12-07-2006 07:52 AM

meeting people?

Old 09-10-2011 at 11:06 AM   #1
RobertM

Liked: Liked 4 Times

meeting people?
So I've been hearing that welcome week is where you meet most of your friends for the rest of the year, and possibly all of university. ...not really going as planned for me. I've met people, but I normally hang around with my friends from high school. I have no problem talking to people, but never start something up. It's like I'm suddenly anti-social. I won't call up anyone new I've met, even if they seem cool. I don't want to be blindsided by first year and miss out on meeting all you awesome people, so:

1. If this happened to you, how did you get over it, cause i'm pissing myself off right now
2. Where/when are the best opportunities for meeting people?
3. Do social opportunities actually vanish after welcome week?
Old 09-10-2011 at 11:31 AM   #2
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

If there is time before your lecture, talk to the people around you. (that's what I did to make new friends )
Old 09-10-2011 at 12:38 PM   #3
princefan

Liked: 0 Times

I made a lot of friends by joining clubs! Seeing as clubsfest is over, the best option now is to go to any general meetings of clubs that interest you and just chat with others there

Good luck!
Old 09-10-2011 at 12:58 PM   #4
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

I guess I can't claim to be all that non-un-anti-asocial, but anyways, my two cents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
So I've been hearing that welcome week is where you meet most of your friends for the rest of the year, and possibly all of university.
If you're in res you have the rest of the year to meet other people in your res.
I'm sure some people do end up meeting close friends in welcome week. But there are a crap ton of other opportunities...

Quote:
1. If this happened to you, how did you get over it, cause i'm pissing myself off right now
I just met friends elsewhere...

Most of welcome week for me was basically "I'll talk to you for at most 10 minutes but if you're not in my res or faculty there's a pretty high chance I'll never see you again..."

And even if they were in my faculty it boils down to whether
- I remember their face
- We had the same core
- I could scout them out in a room of a few hundred other students...

Quote:
Clubs.
Tutorials.
Upper year classes also tend to be a lot smaller (although I guess by then you'd have some established friend circles).

Quote:
No.

MirandaC, Tailsnake, Vic.And like this.
Old 09-10-2011 at 03:27 PM   #5
anna.rzez

Liked: 1 Time

I'm a first year too. most of my highschool friends are at u of t, so ive been forced to basiclly talk with strangers:p if youre a student off campus they have that lounge on the 2nd floor of student centre, 215 i believe. If you have nothing to do inbetween classes maybe go there and talk to some randoms (like me lol). Also, join maroons! im planning on doing that monday, i heard its a great way to meet people.
Old 09-10-2011 at 03:32 PM   #6
BeAll_EndAll

Liked: 57 Times

Who cares about meeting people? Just study, work, graduate, work full time, retire, die.

Old 09-10-2011 at 04:34 PM   #7
inthemaking

Liked: 26 Times

My best friends from Mac are: a) my 1st year suitemates (lived in Keyes together for 1st year and then moved into off campus housing together after that) and b) people that I met in class.

Sit next to someone in each class and introduce yourself. You already know you have something in common since you're in the same course (probably in the same program or have similar academic interests). Clubs are good for meeting people with common interests too. And go to parties, even if you only know one person there and are just tagging along - you will meet lots of people that way and will end up with more mutual friends so that in time you'll be invited along yourself too.
Old 09-10-2011 at 05:03 PM   #8
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeAll_EndAll View Post
Who cares about meeting people? Just study, work, graduate, work full time, retire, die.
You think everyone will die after studying to their full extent (whatever it may be), and graduate and work and retire? You're funny.

AngieC likes this.
Old 09-10-2011 at 07:16 PM   #9
aleshia.
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
So I've been hearing that welcome week is where you meet most of your friends for the rest of the year, and possibly all of university. ...not really going as planned for me. I've met people, but I normally hang around with my friends from high school. I have no problem talking to people, but never start something up. It's like I'm suddenly anti-social. I won't call up anyone new I've met, even if they seem cool. I don't want to be blindsided by first year and miss out on meeting all you awesome people, so:

you sound exactly like meee. ahaha.
Old 09-10-2011 at 10:22 PM   #10
rania

im in the same position as you! I've been hanging out with my friends from highschool, ive met some people but havnt gotten as close to them. it sucks
Old 09-10-2011 at 10:25 PM   #11
aleshia.
Account Disabled by User

we legit need to all get together so we all don't feel so awkward.
Old 09-10-2011 at 10:39 PM   #12
rania

hahahah i agreee!
Old 09-10-2011 at 10:56 PM   #13
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

MacInsiders tends to organize 'get togethers' where you can meet people who lurk the forums.

It (usually) isn't as creepy as it sounds...

*Glares at Tailsnake*
Old 09-10-2011 at 10:57 PM   #14
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
You think everyone will die after studying to their full extent (whatever it may be), and graduate and work and retire? You're funny.
Pretty sure he was joking mate.
Old 09-10-2011 at 11:31 PM   #15
Nashi

Welp, I can't really say I'm in the same situation because I'm pretty introverted to begin with, but because none of my close friends came to Mac with me, that alone motivated me to *try* and be more social. xD I rarely ever start conversations with other people unless they talk to me, but I've already made some new friends, so I don't think you need to worry about it =P

In my opinion:
-go to common room meetings/activities that your rez/SOCS plans (it was a lot easier to approach someone I recognized from an event, chances are they might recognize you as well)

-try sitting beside someone who looks like you could get along with in class, chances are you two will eventually start chatting [worked for me xDDD])

But yeah, I really think people have to stop making university sound so big & scary. I thought I wasn't going to meet anyone/make friends, but it wasn't as bad as I imagined it. Like others already said, joining clubs are great ways to meet people. (It's how I met all my closest high school friends; I'm hoping I will meet all my closest uni friends the same way too xD)