Sra Meeting Results Chad MacInsiders Announcements 8 04-07-2008 03:37 PM
SRA Meeting Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 12-07-2006 07:52 AM

meeting people?

Old 09-10-2011 at 11:32 PM   #16
Allana:)

Liked: 46 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
So I've been hearing that welcome week is where you meet most of your friends for the rest of the year, and possibly all of university. ...not really going as planned for me. I've met people, but I normally hang around with my friends from high school. I have no problem talking to people, but never start something up. It's like I'm suddenly anti-social. I won't call up anyone new I've met, even if they seem cool. I don't want to be blindsided by first year and miss out on meeting all you awesome people, so:

1. If this happened to you, how did you get over it, cause i'm pissing myself off right now
2. Where/when are the best opportunities for meeting people?
3. Do social opportunities actually vanish after welcome week?
1. I didn't let it get to me. I just realized that realistically, welcome week wasn't actually the place for me to make friends. There were a bunch of activities that were good for meeting people, but not for maintaining connections with them. I do not have any friendships that began during welcome week. I'm sure some people can establish connections, but I guess I'm not as quick to make friends with people, who knows.

2. In my personal experience, the best ways to meet people are lectures, tutorials, group projects and clubs. In lectures and tutorials, talk to the person beside you before the prof shows up, and then say "bye" at the end. There is usually lots of collaboration in tutorials, so when working in groups, try to get some small talk in. You'll see the people the next week, so soon enough, you have the potential to become good friends. First year classes are huge, so profs like to give group projects so that the TAs have less marking to do. Make friends with the members of your group - don't JUST talk about the project. Also, maybe you could make an evening of working on a project; for example, on a Friday night, the group could get together to work and then go out for dinner or a movie or something. Join lots of clubs that you are interested in. Chances are, you will find people that share your interests. Some of those people might be in your classes as well! I met my current roommate and best McMaster friend in a Linguistics Society club meeting and later that day I saw her in my Latin class and my Linguistics class! We started sitting together and the friendship really took off.

3. Social opportunities certainly do not vanish after welcome week. There will still be plenty of parties and events to go to. Just keep your eyes open. Also, you have the ability to make everyday activities (like the ones listed above) into social opportunities.

Good luck and have an awesome year!

rania, RobertM all say thanks to Allana:) for this post.

dreamer21 likes this.
Old 09-11-2011 at 02:20 AM   #17
vvndn

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna.rzez View Post
I'm a first year too. most of my highschool friends are at u of t, so ive been forced to basiclly talk with strangers:p if youre a student off campus they have that lounge on the 2nd floor of student centre, 215 i believe. If you have nothing to do inbetween classes maybe go there and talk to some randoms (like me lol). Also, join maroons! im planning on doing that monday, i heard its a great way to meet people.
how do you become a maroon and what are some of the thing you do?
Old 09-11-2011 at 05:12 PM   #18
ChuckD

Joining clubs is definitely a great way to meet people. Also, check out what your faculty is doing. They may be hosting various events that may interest you.
Oh, and to not sound so boring to others, try to find other things to talk about besides school. Some people only talk about their homework and can be a real uninteresting.
Old 09-11-2011 at 06:17 PM   #19
anna.rzez

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvndn View Post
they have a room/office in student centre on the 2nd or 3rd floor im planning on going there and asking for a membership (its free). im honestly not all too sure about what they do they just act as reps for all of mcmaster and that they organize events and its supposed to be fun. thought maybe itd be a good way to socialize and meet other first years.

join with me! lol

vvndn says thanks to anna.rzez for this post.

vvndn likes this.
Old 09-11-2011 at 07:55 PM   #20
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Just wear maroon coloured clothing and become buddies with somebody whos already a marron you're in, is my understanding. Cheapest club ever.

AngieC, vvndn like this.
Old 09-11-2011 at 09:00 PM   #21
vvndn

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna.rzez View Post
they have a room/office in student centre on the 2nd or 3rd floor im planning on going there and asking for a membership (its free). im honestly not all too sure about what they do they just act as reps for all of mcmaster and that they organize events and its supposed to be fun. thought maybe itd be a good way to socialize and meet other first years.

join with me! lol
i think i might!
Old 09-11-2011 at 09:20 PM   #22
anna.rzez

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
i think i might!
cooool! look out for an anna if you visit that maroons office/room/lounge place lol
Old 09-12-2011 at 05:05 PM   #23
tong930831

i think there is still chances, but that would include people who are from upper year now C:
Old 09-12-2011 at 05:19 PM   #24
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
You think everyone will die after studying to their full extent (whatever it may be), and graduate and work and retire? You're funny.
WOOOOOOOSSSSHHHHHHhHH HH

AngieC, Chevalier, Grover like this.
Old 09-12-2011 at 05:33 PM   #25
InsideMINDS

Liked: 11 Times

Don't worry, things change so much. In class most people are more than happy to talk back to you, join a sports group or club and you'll make friends for sure, and to keep them show up at fun events.
Old 09-12-2011 at 05:44 PM   #26
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeAll_EndAll View Post
Who cares about meeting people? Just study, work, graduate, work full time, start a family, have kids, rapidly age, retire, die.
I think that's a more accurate description of what usually happens.
Old 09-12-2011 at 10:33 PM   #27
luc18

JOIN CLUBS!!! I can't stress this enough lol. You'll meet all kinds of people by joining clubs. plus clubs add some fun elements to all the studying
Old 09-12-2011 at 10:53 PM   #28
Rath
Account Locked

Liked: 18 Times

Just don't be fat and people will like you even if you have acne
Old 09-12-2011 at 11:35 PM   #29
AngieC

Liked: 7 Times

I'm down for a group chills , I live in Keyes , hit me up , I want to meet everyone !
Old 09-12-2011 at 11:47 PM   #30
MoonLighter
Account Disabled by User

well said, socialization is only temporary, death is inevitable