MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Micro and Macro Econ Harisan Academics 11 12-16-2011 02:23 AM
Micro Econ Textbooks carriekinz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 18 09-18-2011 01:52 PM
Currently have Micro econ for next semester, but want macro econ Strategy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 12-08-2010 01:18 PM
Micro / Macro Econ - Quick Question fishman Academics 17 06-13-2010 02:01 PM

Micro Econ Question

Old 10-21-2012 at 06:22 PM   #1
jasmineb

Liked: 0 Times

Micro Econ Question
Hey I'm having some trouble with this question does anybody know?

When one firm sells its pollution permit to another firm, which of the following will MOST likely occur?

A) Only one firm benefits.
B) The total amount of pollution remains the same.
C) Social welfare is unaffected.
D) Over time, pollution will be eliminated.
Old 10-21-2012 at 06:49 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmineb View Post

When one firm sells its pollution permit to another firm, which of the following will MOST likely occur?

post on avenue.
Old 10-21-2012 at 09:28 PM   #3
ykv23

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:

Total pollution would increase I think so not B, not D and probably not A. I would say C.
Old 10-21-2012 at 10:27 PM   #4
fasailuddin
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 47 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykv23 View Post
Total pollution would increase I think so not B, not D and probably not A. I would say C.
that doesn't make much sense. If total pollution increases, social welfare would be negatively effected. The answer is likely B. When a permit system is used there exists a total amount of allocated pollution. Selling the permit transfers rights to pollute but doesn't change the aggregate quantity.
Old 10-21-2012 at 11:45 PM   #5
Swampis

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasailuddin View Post
that doesn't make much sense. If total pollution increases, social welfare would be negatively effected. The answer is likely B. When a permit system is used there exists a total amount of allocated pollution. Selling the permit transfers rights to pollute but doesn't change the aggregate quantity.
I got B) as my answer as well. It's the right answer, I just did the econ bonus quiz.

Last edited by Swampis : 10-21-2012 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-22-2012 at 09:02 AM   #6
lifesciman1

Liked: 59 Times

You should really read the slides, I remember doing these Qs last year. Its a joke once you read the slides.
Old 10-22-2012 at 09:39 AM   #7
Marooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesciman1 View Post
You should really read the slides, I remember doing these Qs last year. Its a joke once you read the slides.
Illusion of the expert. Just because you find it a joke doesn't mean everyone else does.

Old 10-22-2012 at 10:08 AM   #8
lifesciman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marooner View Post
Illusion of the expert. Just because you find it a joke doesn't mean everyone else does.
Yea I guess that was a far fetched assumption. I personally thought the slides were crystal clear.
Old 10-22-2012 at 10:11 PM   #9
Frankenseuss

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:

The answer is B. Selling a pollution permit just means selling the amount of pollution YOU can legally create to another firm. The other firm wouldn't buy it if they had no intention of utilizing the permit.