MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Graduation Mac12 Academics 1 06-05-2012 12:19 PM
Graduation Awesomeness Academics 12 04-25-2012 04:32 AM
To fail, or not to fail? That is the question... sniderj Academics 13 04-22-2010 06:09 PM
Graduation Katia General Discussion 21 10-25-2009 02:21 PM
Graduation deeO Academics 14 07-21-2009 05:26 PM

Might fail a course prior to graduation

Old 04-25-2013 at 10:04 AM   #1
Cadillax

Liked: 0 Times

Might fail a course prior to graduation
I'm set to graduate on June 14, but I'm worried that I may have failed a 3 unit elective course.

If I did fail this course, is it possible to take another 3 unit course in summer school that will count towards my remaining 3 units to graduate? Will the marks be sent in on time? Anyone ever been in this boat before?

Cheers.
Old 04-25-2013 at 10:05 AM   #2
kotton

Liked: 9 Times

You will have to make up for the lost credit during the summer/spring and go to the November ceremony.
Old 04-25-2013 at 10:09 AM   #3
Cadillax

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotton View Post
You will have to make up for the lost credit during the summer/spring and go to the November ceremony.
So there's no way to take the course in the summer and still attend the June 14 date?
Old 04-25-2013 at 10:11 AM   #4
kotton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillax View Post
So there's no way to take the course in the summer and still attend the June 14 date?
Well, even if you take a spring/summer class, the exams aren't till late June.. so the ceremony would be over by then.
Old 04-25-2013 at 10:23 AM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

If you fail the class, you won't be able to graduate in June. You need to be cleared to graduate (have all your credits done and fees paid) by May 15.

Cadillax says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 04-25-2013 at 10:38 AM   #6
Cadillax

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
If you fail the class, you won't be able to graduate in June. You need to be cleared to graduate (have all your credits done and fees paid) by May 15.
Okay. So how do I ensure that I'm enrolled into summer school by the deadline (not sure when that is) if I don't know if I passed the course or not yet?

Would it be advisable to email my prof and ask for my mark?
Old 04-25-2013 at 10:44 AM   #7
kotton

Quote:
Okay. So how do I ensure that I'm enrolled into summer school by the deadline (not sure when that is) if I don't know if I passed the course or not yet?

Would it be advisable to email my prof and ask for my mark?
Wait till you find out your mark first. Depending how much you failed by, try and talk to the professor and explain that you're graduating, etc.. Last day to add spring classes is May 6. So just make sure you register for whatver course before then.
Old 04-25-2013 at 10:54 AM   #8
Cadillax

Quote:
Wait till you find out your mark first. Depending how much you failed by, try and talk to the professor and explain that you're graduating, etc.. Last day to add spring classes is May 6. So just make sure you register for whatver course before then.
Awesome. I know that my prof is an honest guy, and the last thing that I'd want to do is seem dishonest by asking for him to bump up my grade (if it comes to that). How would one go about talking to the prof? Email seems lazy and impersonal.
Old 04-25-2013 at 11:00 AM   #9
kotton

Quote:
Awesome. I know that my prof is an honest guy, and the last thing that I'd want to do is seem dishonest by asking for him to bump up my grade (if it comes to that). How would one go about talking to the prof? Email seems lazy and impersonal.
When final grades are up, e-mail him and ask to book an appointment to talk about your exam and while you are there, tell him about your situation. Professors are pretty lenient on bumping your mark if its 1 or 2 percent, esp if you are graduating. Be cautious though if your class had a participation mark or tutorial, if they see you didn't participate or show any effort in passing, then clearly they won't help you.
Old 04-25-2013 at 11:20 AM   #10
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Actually, the last day to add spring classes is May 10. Classes start on May 6, though.

The last day to add summer courses is June 28.

Since you won't be able to graduate by June anyways, you might as well just wait until May 15 when you get your grades, and then if you need to take a summer course then do it in the summer term. Or, you could register for a spring course and then drop it if you don't need it.
Old 05-03-2013 at 08:57 AM   #11
Cadillax

Thanks for all the help, everyone. I ended up passing the course. Woo woo!
Old 05-03-2013 at 09:09 AM   #12
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Grats!

For future reference, if you're in this situation, exceptions can be made if you talk to your faculty head and professors to attend ceremonies. (not about passing the course though)

It really sucks to not be able to graduate with 'your year', and they understand that (well, in engineering at least). You may or may not get your diploma or other awards (whatever accompanies the service) but you can be a part of the fun....

For more information (not directed at you) don't post on MacInsiders, but take this up directly with your faculty head, programme co-ordinator, or the Dean's office itself. However, it must be said that getting to know your professors is a huge boon, because it makes 'mark negotiations' easier...