MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini Fridges DonJuan General Discussion 5 08-23-2010 10:37 AM
two fridges, one room dumbconsumer Residence & Housing 12 08-19-2010 12:28 AM
Fridges - Continued goodnews.inc Residence & Housing 28 07-27-2010 01:54 PM
Two mini fridges in a double room (Les Prince)? Ohmz Residence & Housing 3 09-12-2009 04:48 PM
Fridges spiotrowski Moulton Hall Forum 20 07-21-2008 03:52 PM

Mini Fridges

Old 08-14-2009 at 12:29 PM   #16
TheAxtmann

Liked: 3 Times

All the ones I was looking had controls for the freezer section, so I assume a defrost would be just to turn the temrperature of it up and let it melt, right? lol

Also, I was looking at Sears and they had 4.3 cu. ft. mini fridges you can buy with a freezer that were like $200 or so. Not too bad price wise. I think Futureshop has a smaller one, the 3.2 cu.ft. for like $139, but it doesn't have a freezer.
Old 08-14-2009 at 07:04 PM   #17
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I'm pretty sure the costs of renting and buying are close to each other. I would recommend buying one, especially if you aren't going to live at home for the next 4 years.

TheAxtmann likes this.
Old 08-14-2009 at 07:20 PM   #18
TheAxtmann

I just got my new one home, lol. 4.3 cu. ft. Looks pretty sitting in my bedroom here, stoked for res with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy View Post
I think the freezer parts tend to frost up pretty quickly; and I don't know of any brands that are self-defrosting. Does anyone have a self-defrosting kind?

I got a one door Danby Premier, and it has a defrost button for the little mini freezer up at the top.

Last edited by TheAxtmann : 08-14-2009 at 07:22 PM.

daisy says thanks to TheAxtmann for this post.
Old 08-14-2009 at 08:45 PM   #19
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxtmann View Post
I got a one door Danby Premier, and it has a defrost button for the little mini freezer up at the top.
My fridge has a defrost button as well. I think it's a defrost button anyways... I haven't read the manual since it was my brother's. Basically the dial that controls the temperature of the freezer has a red button in the middle.
Old 08-14-2009 at 09:02 PM   #20
TheAxtmann

Yeah. I think that's the defrost button. lol. Mine doesn't say on it, and I haven't read the manual, but the tag on the fridge (bought the floor model, 20% off ) said defrost button, so I assume that's it.
Old 08-14-2009 at 09:10 PM   #21
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxtmann View Post
Yeah. I think that's the defrost button. lol. Mine doesn't say on it, and I haven't read the manual, but the tag on the fridge (bought the floor model, 20% off ) said defrost button, so I assume that's it.
Cool cool, I've never actually used it. Defrosting my fridge takes like a day by just unplugging it so I've never actually used the button. It's also because I never actually use the freezer Lol.
Old 08-14-2009 at 09:12 PM   #22
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

If you have a freezer in your fridge...bring freezies for WW.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-14-2009 at 09:19 PM   #23
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
If you have a freezer in your fridge...bring freezies for WW.
Never have been a fan of freezes... but that is a very good idea. It's one of the only things that fits in the tiny freezer XD
Old 08-14-2009 at 10:25 PM   #24
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

Where have you guys been getting your fridges? I had one that only lasted for 1.5 years in res (crappy Walmart quality) and I'm looking to buy a new one soon.

Have you seen any good deals?
Old 08-14-2009 at 10:42 PM   #25
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:callen:. View Post
Where have you guys been getting your fridges? I had one that only lasted for 1.5 years in res (crappy Walmart quality) and I'm looking to buy a new one soon.

Have you seen any good deals?
Hmmm, not too sure where we got the fridge... it's 5 years old,, almost 6 now. I think it might have been costco though.
Old 08-15-2009 at 12:42 PM   #26
x_hikari

Liked: 14 Times

Heyyy just wondering if there's a size limit for the fridge. I mean of course I'm not bringing in like a massive full size one or anything but just wanted to know what size fridge would be best. I'm looking for a two door one so just wanted to make sure I don't end up getting one that isn't allowed or something haha |D
If it helps I'm living in a single in Moulton!
Old 08-15-2009 at 12:45 PM   #27
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Don't forget someone is going to have to carry that fridge into the elevator for you in September. And you're going to have to take it home at the end of the year (and carry it yourself!) as well.

So if you can't lift the fridge...don't buy it.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-15-2009 at 01:35 PM   #28
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

A 4.4CuFt fridge is big enough for two people if you are living in residence.

But I've seen 3.1CuFt fridges with 2 doors.
Old 08-15-2009 at 10:18 PM   #29
christinaxo7

Liked: 0 Times

if my fridge isn't in a box because its not brand new will the welcome week reps still help move it upstairs with the rest of my stuff? like im planning on taping the door shut and labeling it obviously but my mom doesnt want to get there and people wont help move it then she has to bring it from the car all the way over to my res building after we've parked. im in woodstock btw and the parking lots are a bit of a walk from woodstock... the fridge isnt overly heavy either its just akward to carry
Old 08-15-2009 at 10:19 PM   #30
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinaxo7 View Post
if my fridge isn't in a box because its not brand new will the welcome week reps still help move it upstairs with the rest of my stuff? like im planning on taping the door shut and labeling it obviously but my mom doesnt want to get there and people wont help move it then she has to bring it from the car all the way over to my res building after we've parked. im in woodstock btw and the parking lots are a bit of a walk from woodstock... the fridge isnt overly heavy either its just akward to carry
They'll move it in. Yes, tape the door shut.

Edit: Also remember that you'll have to bring it back down yourself when you move out.

Last edited by jhan523 : 08-15-2009 at 10:23 PM.