MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honours Music, Bac. Music Mango Academics 1 06-13-2010 11:28 PM
Business I Requirements lawleypop Academics 11 05-31-2010 10:38 PM
What are the requirements for becomng a TA? jangh2 Academics 9 12-24-2008 08:30 AM
Music 2II3 (Pop music):Seat Available Junebug Academics 1 09-15-2008 12:41 AM

Minor in Music requirements?

Old 04-12-2010 at 11:31 AM   #1
leah.d

Liked: 0 Times

Minor in Music requirements?
I am a Kin student in my 3rd year, and have been taking music through my undergraduate. By the end of 4th year, I will have 24 units in music (6 units first year, all of them are performance like 1EE6, 2G03, etc). I am wondering if this will be enough to get a Minor in music, or if I needed more credits, or if I need credits in courses other than just performance. Does anyone know?
Old 04-12-2010 at 12:02 PM   #2
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

in the course calendar, it just says

Minor in Music 24 units of Music or Music Cognition of which no more than nine units may be from Level I, subject to the prerequisites and qualifying tests specified in this Calendar.

so i think you are fine
Old 04-12-2010 at 03:21 PM   #3
ladyh

Liked: 25 Times

I'm interested in doing a minor in Music as well. How were you able to get into the classes (other than 1A03/1AA3) without being in the program? For the performance courses, do you just email them and audition with the incoming first years? I read there's an ear test and theory test, and if you have RCM Grade 2 Theory then you don't have to do it .. but does it need to be from within a certain time range? I completed that test with the RCM when I was 9 or 10 .. so I don't know if that's too long ago (I'm 20 now lmao).

For the actual audition, is it similar to the format of the RCM exams? Do you play as many pieces, and then do the technical parts (including ear test, etc etc)? Is it quite as nerve wracking? Even more nerve wracking?

I'd love to be able to do a minor in Music, though I'm worried I might be crap now. I finished Grade 9 with the RCM when I was 15, and was in the middle of preparing for the Grade 10 exam, but then I had to start to work a lot more hours so I could start saving up for university .. so I quit preparing for the exams (though I continued playing, but strictly just for fun). I hope my 5 year break hasn't totally ruined my technical skills, which I wasn't diligent about keeping up. How do the performance classes work? Do you just work on a number of pieces throughout the semester?

Sorry for all the questions!!!

Last edited by ladyh : 04-12-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-12-2010 at 06:38 PM   #4
CoutureGirl

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyh View Post
For the performance courses, do you just email them and audition with the incoming first years? I read there's an ear test and theory test, and if you have RCM Grade 2 Theory then you don't have to do it .. but does it need to be from within a certain time range? I completed that test with the RCM when I was 9 or 10 .. so I don't know if that's too long ago (I'm 20 now lmao).

For the actual audition, is it similar to the format of the RCM exams? Do you play as many pieces, and then do the technical parts (including ear test, etc etc)? Is it quite as nerve wracking? Even more nerve wracking?
How do the performance classes work? Do you just work on a number of pieces throughout the semester?

Sorry for all the questions!!!
I'm not sure if you email them about auditioning, but yes there is a ear test and theory test. You can use the RCM Grade 2 Theory if you got over 80% within the past 2 years, but since you did it when you were 9, you will have to take the theory test with your audition.

The actual audition is similar to the RCM exams, where you play 2-3 pieces (of 10 - 20 min. long, i cant remember the exact timing), and there is an ear test afterwards, but you don't need to play scales/chords or anything like that.
I'd say its less nerve wracking than an RCM exam, because this audition is more based on pass/fail, whereas RCM actually gives you marks on everything you perform. but either way, i still get nervous when auditioning or doing an RCM exam.

The performance classes are where you are given a number of pieces which you study until the end of the year where you will perform them in front of a jury (so 1-3 people). Hope this helps!

ladyh says thanks to CoutureGirl for this post.