MacInsiders Logo

Minorities to rise significantly by 2031

Old 03-09-2010 at 06:57 PM   #31
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

lol white males discriminated against?

and this clown is in your student government. hah Please don't re-elect him mac.

Taunton says thanks to andrew22 for this post.

samtheman89 likes this.
Old 03-09-2010 at 06:58 PM   #32
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
lol white males discriminated against?

and this clown is in your student government. hah Please don't re-elect him mac.
LOL

No worries andy, I'm graduating

PS: making a policy to not hire white males simply because they're white males is discrimination.

Last edited by Taunton : 03-09-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-09-2010 at 07:02 PM   #33
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

oh cool, congrats !! in that case please say anything you'd like to sir! and damn minorities keeping me out of a job this summer!

samtheman89 says thanks to andrew22 for this post.

samtheman89 likes this.
Old 03-09-2010 at 08:18 PM   #34
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

This topic is not going to turn out well, can an admin close this before it really goes south?

ShouldBeStudying likes this.
Old 03-09-2010 at 08:31 PM   #35
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

I'm actually fairly confident that because of the city I live in it is more difficult for me to get a Summer job b/c I'm not a minority. One particular job pissed me off a lot b/c I'm 99.9% confident I didn't get it b/c I'm not a minority.

Its ignorant to laugh at the notion that whites are also discriminated again. Just b/c people are white doesn't mean they can't and aren't discriminated against by others.
Old 03-09-2010 at 08:34 PM   #36
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
This topic is not going to turn out well, can an admin close this before it really goes south?
Agreed. While I personally would love to engage in a debate on the subject I do think this has the potential to turn nasty.

That said it would be unnecessary censorship to close the topic before it gets out of hand just b/c of the subject matter and the potential to turn nasty.

sniderj likes this.
Old 03-09-2010 at 08:55 PM   #37
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

As interesting as a debate about the merits and drawbacks of Affirmative Action would be, it is a bit off-topic. Just because it also involves minorities doesn't make it relevant to the posted article. If anyone really wants that thread, feel free to start it, but BJ is right in saying that it will deteriorate quite fast.

On topic: The more the merrier! The number of people who want to live in a country (and who weren't born there and aren't subject to some inherent bias) can say a lot about a country. I just wish that Canada was more like the states where people actually want to assimilate.
Old 03-09-2010 at 08:58 PM   #38
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
As interesting as a debate about the merits and drawbacks of Affirmative Action would be, it is a bit off-topic. Just because it also involves minorities doesn't make it relevant to the posted article. If anyone really wants that thread, feel free to start it, but BJ is right in saying that it will deteriorate quite fast.

On topic: The more the merrier! The number of people who want to live in a country (and who weren't born there and aren't subject to some inherent bias) can say a lot about a country. I just wish that Canada was more like the states where people actually want to assimilate.
Good for you for being honest. Never thought that'd be your viewpoit though, haha.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 03-09-2010 at 09:05 PM   #39
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Just doing some reading on this...

apparently in Canada, a law passed called the Canadian Employment Equity Act requires employers in federally regulated industries to give preferential treatment to four designated groups: women, people with disabilities, aboriginal people, and visible minorities. The Act uses the language "non-white". The legislation leaves white males as being the only unprotected ethnic group. Discrimination anyone? This should be illegal!

However, the concept is far from uncontroversial and a few states in the US have banned "affirmative action". I'd have to say I'm on the side of Michigan and California.

I have lot of male friends who are recent graduates and they are all discouraged by what they see in the job postings alone. And it is sad, that if you are a Canadian born and educated white male and you can't get a job because you don't fit into any prefered group. That's why Im actually scared for how people will get along by 2031, well even in 5 years. I think big problem will arise by then. So I hope the government has ideas to deal with any issues.
Old 03-09-2010 at 09:07 PM   #40
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Maybe by 2031, most white men will be discouraged and move to the states, thus leaving Canada with nothing but "minorities." xD

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 03-09-2010 at 09:07 PM   #41
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:

I don't think anything posted has been offensive.
Old 03-09-2010 at 09:28 PM   #42
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
I don't think anything posted has been offensive.
Not really, but there has been a divisive "us against them" under tone to some of the posts here. Conversations that start like that either spiral from somewhat pertinent points to racist drivel (i.e. this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLni3wbndls) or start huge racially divisive arguments. Niether end is particularly positive.
Old 03-09-2010 at 09:34 PM   #43
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
What do you guys think about this, especially considering we are all kinda inheriting the future?
As long as they assimilate properly, the more the merrier.

Old 03-09-2010 at 10:19 PM   #44
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Not really, but there has been a divisive "us against them" under tone to some of the posts here. Conversations that start like that either spiral from somewhat pertinent points to racist drivel (i.e. this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLni3wbndls) or start huge racially divisive arguments. Niether end is particularly positive.
Just b/c people disagree with minorities receiving preferential treatment doesn't mean they have an "us against them" mentality.

It will only spiral into racist drivel if racists decide to come post in the thread. Thus far I don't think anyone has said anything racist. Disagreeing with affirmative action isn't inherently racist.

sniderj, Taunton like this.
Old 03-09-2010 at 10:31 PM   #45
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
One particular job pissed me off a lot b/c I'm 99.9% confident I didn't get it b/c I'm not a minority.

Can you please elaborate on how you came up with that statistic that is ~factual?
I never knew one could judge ones credentials/chances for getting a job and somehow also be aware of the internal process that goes behind hiring.

This argument regarding affirmative action actually came up ironically today in CLAY manual committee meeting today and some girl(From a white background mind you) from labour studies actually said that even though those laws are in place the firms make little to no effort to enforce them & a level of discrimination still exists. It is only very public companies like Banks & Multinationals(MCD's) that have to adhere to a certain image. I don't personally know enough about the job market to directly comment but I would assume being in labour studies her statement was based on some evidence?

On the flip side immigrants don't get their valid masters/phd degrees accredited and hence have to work at Walmart/Shoppers Drug Mart for minimum wage, similarly I randomly read that employers are less likely to hire some people from minorities because of inhibitions and lack of understanding about their culture and how that is perceived as a sign that they won't fit within the work environment/team.

Tl;dr Affirmative action isn't ONLY because and for the reasons of guilty conscience by "white" people.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13