Missed my exam... MarkA Academics 28 04-21-2010 11:18 PM
i missed my exam! PLEASE HELP!!! rrtt Academics 2 04-24-2009 09:10 PM

Missed m;y exam!

Old 12-06-2012 at 10:11 AM   #1
jake0405

Liked: 0 Times

Missed m;y exam!
Hi
I was supposed to write Chem 1A03 exam today, but somehow slept through my alarm (or the alarm didn't work or something...).
Ya... so i read from other posts that you could either contact the prof or need to submit some kind of medical form. But i wasn't sick, so i wouldn't have any doctor's note....
And if im granted to write the exam later, does that happen after the exam period, or like couple months later. Im scared of writing couple months later, because i would forget all this by then....
Could any of you know or have any experience with this plz share your thoughts. I'm pretty traumatized at the moment....
Old 12-06-2012 at 10:13 AM   #2
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Liked: 64 Times

My prof said that the deferred exams are in February.
Old 12-06-2012 at 10:13 AM   #3
Alert Moderator & Admin
Add negative rating10 / 1Add positive rank
The MI community seriously dislikes this post by AngryBean
It may contain offensive material. Click here to view it anyways.
Old 12-06-2012 at 10:38 AM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

From previous posts on here, some people have gotten a "free pass" where they were allowed to defer for reasons like this. Not sure if they still do this or not, but you might as well try.

If you need to defer an exam for any reason (legitimate or not), you need to contact your faculty associate dean's office. Your prof can't do anything to help you.

Yes, deferred exams are during reading week in February. And yes, people do tend to do worse because they've had so long to forget the material, but really, in this case it's your own fault.
Old 12-06-2012 at 10:38 AM   #5
hillary13
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 23 Times

I worry this will happen to me..

Zebedee likes this.
Old 12-06-2012 at 10:40 AM   #6
Ish001

Liked: 26 Times

from my knowledge, you're allowed a free pass during your entire stay here at mac. this applies more if you're in first year.
profs can be understanding at times. good luck either way
Old 12-06-2012 at 10:45 AM   #7
chappy89

Liked: 149 Times

you slept 3 (or more) hours passed your alarm? guess that late night studying didn't help after all.
Old 12-06-2012 at 10:46 AM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBean View Post
you failed the course. sorry.

try contacting the prof. not sure if that will do anything. you are responsible for your own actions.
As much as I don't like to be as pessimistic as AngryBean, I have to agree. Most people have troubles deferring an exam even if they make arrangements ahead of time and actually have a doctor's note.

Things look pretty grim, my friend.. I would speak to the professor in person as soon as humanly possible.. the fact that you didn't run to the exam as soon as you woke up can look bad on you as well (if it were possible).

A number of advocating options are available for you to consider: CSD, Ombuds, and your faculty head. Get on this stuff ASAP if you don't want to fail.. :(

edit: yes, professors can not do anything for you, but they can give you some options and possible grade adjustments
Old 12-06-2012 at 11:40 AM   #9
coffeecappu

Liked: 0 Times

u should get plenty of sleep the day before exam!!!
Old 12-06-2012 at 12:20 PM   #10
naval23

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake0405 View Post
Hi
I was supposed to write Chem 1A03 exam today, but somehow slept through my alarm (or the alarm didn't work or something...).
Ya... so i read from other posts that you could either contact the prof or need to submit some kind of medical form. But i wasn't sick, so i wouldn't have any doctor's note....
And if im granted to write the exam later, does that happen after the exam period, or like couple months later. Im scared of writing couple months later, because i would forget all this by then....
Could any of you know or have any experience with this plz share your thoughts. I'm pretty traumatized at the moment....
Wow, I'm sorry, that sucks. I was worried this would happen to me so I made sure to leave my door unlocked so my roommates could wake me up incase.

On the other hand, I don't know if sleeping through your exam is a legit excuse. Is there any way you could get a doctor's note (even if you weren't sick)? If sleeping in is a legitimate excuse, then they'll let you write the deferred exam, I'm just not sure if that would be acceptable right now. Good luck, I hope it turns out well.
Old 12-06-2012 at 12:34 PM   #11
galaniz

Liked: 1 Time

Contact your professor or even go see the student advisor for the Science faculty. My friend slept through her exam last year when she was in first year and she got her exam deferred. I believe she wrote it during reading week.

The are usually understanding since this is your first year and first set of exams.

Good luck!
Old 12-06-2012 at 12:53 PM   #12
raptorboi

Liked: 6 Times

I suggest sending an email ASAP. Profs always appreciate an email, and right away rather than pondering about the situation.
Old 12-06-2012 at 01:48 PM   #13
wesiscool

Liked: 13 Times

Don't email the prof, they can't do anything. Email your academic advisor and they will suggest what to do after.
Old 12-06-2012 at 02:35 PM   #14
Alert Moderator & Admin
Add negative rating-6Add positive rank
The MI community has ranked down this post by AngryBean.
Click here to view it anyways.
Old 12-06-2012 at 02:40 PM   #15
Mark Gich

Liked: 18 Times

people make mistakes, it happens. stop with all of this 'growing up stuff', its not helping.

as to the original post: it's not like you're the first student to ever sleep through an exam. just go explain yourself, i'm sure it'll work out. good luck!