i missed my exam! PLEASE HELP!!! rrtt Academics 2 04-24-2009 09:10 PM

Missed m;y exam!

Old 12-06-2012 at 06:14 PM   #31
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBean View Post
I never said you are breaking any rules, really. I was just stating what options people have who find your post(s) to be upsetting.

Well, I find your posts upsetting. Wooptiedo, I don't care, it's just a forum.

If they find me upsetting, they can vote down my posts and don't see them. I'm just here to make funny comments once in a while, and occasionally state my opinion like I did in this thread. You just can't please everyone, and I'm not intending to.
Then don't care? I never told you to care. I was simply stating their options. You can get over it as well. Do as you please. The rest will fall into place appropriately.
Old 12-06-2012 at 06:18 PM   #32
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

For what it's worth, I'm with AngryBean on this one - if you think of an exam like an important meeting or a presentation at work. Your boss isn't going to 'defer' your meeting or your presentation to the CEO because you slept in, you're going to be in for it. And as far as the 'growing up' part of things - you can find out what to do if you miss your exam with a quick Google search of 'McMaster missed exam'. It's great that the university is willing to give a free pass but like with the people who plan for MSAFs it's really really really frustrating at the same time for people who can figure out how to operate a simple search of the school's website to see these questions over and over again.

Old 12-06-2012 at 06:25 PM   #33
anonanon987
Power Abuser

I'm sure a lot of people agree with AngryBean..because that's what you call reality. The problem that people have with his post(s) in this thread is his approach. More or less, that's all. I for one, think it's perfectly alright albeit a bit too harsh, but so is life at times. Life moves on. With, or without you. Though, this community was built around the ideas of friendship, support, and so on and so forth so that should always be exercised here in a realistic manner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleighp View Post
For what it's worth, I'm with AngryBean on this one - if you think of an exam like an important meeting or a presentation at work. Your boss isn't going to 'defer' your meeting or your presentation to the CEO because you slept in, you're going to be in for it. And as far as the 'growing up' part of things - you can find out what to do if you miss your exam with a quick Google search of 'McMaster missed exam'. It's great that the university is willing to give a free pass but like with the people who plan for MSAFs it's really really really frustrating at the same time for people who can figure out how to operate a simple search of the school's website to see these questions over and over again.

ashleighp says thanks to anonanon987 for this post.

Mark Gich likes this.
Old 12-06-2012 at 06:29 PM   #34
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

You will most likely get a free pass. However the deferred exam is:
1) almost always harder than the real exam
2) during reading week when you have a million things on the go, many assignments , and will have forgotten most if not everything you learned this term.

Good luck getting the deferred exam. If you do get it good luck doing well on it. For reference during exams I usually set 5+ alarms on multiple devices including standalone alarm, phone(x2), tablet, mp3 player and computer. Call it overkill but I havnt missed an exam yet.

evilgino, RobbyJ, rpg51 like this.
Old 12-06-2012 at 06:51 PM   #35
science002

Liked: 4 Times

I know a friend who slept through an exam, and got a note the same day and then wrote the deferred exam in March break. Talk to the lady at the front desk in BSB office, cuz she did that and said she usually knows what to do. They are pretty understanding if you have a legitimate reason. Emailing the proff won't help, I agree
Old 12-06-2012 at 06:56 PM   #36
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post
You will most likely get a free pass. However the deferred exam is:
1) almost always harder than the real exam
2) during reading week when you have a million things on the go, many assignments , and will have forgotten most if not everything you learned this term.

Good luck getting the deferred exam. If you do get it good luck doing well on it. For reference during exams I usually set 5+ alarms on multiple devices including standalone alarm, phone(x2), tablet, mp3 player and computer. Call it overkill but I havnt missed an exam yet.
deferred exams are almost always the same
Old 12-06-2012 at 06:57 PM   #37
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Those who thinks that missing an exam should grow up, I don't see how growing up is correlated to missing something important? We're human beings and we are bound to make mistakes. He unintentionally missed an exam, yeah, some may call it irresponsible but really, it takes a responsible person to resolve it.

Point is, those who are telling him to grow up and be responsible should look themselves at the mirror and realize how many mistakes they have made in their lives and learnt from it. You cannot say you are ideal, otherwise you'd be walking on water. So, if you're not a faultless being that walks on water, you're preaching to the wrong choir.

And those who are wondering, I have never missed an exam myself. These deferred exams is perilous to my health and sanity. Hopefully he is able to rewrite the exam before Christmas break.

Best of luck!

Chopinetude, Mark Gich like this.
Old 12-06-2012 at 07:18 PM   #38
Mark Gich

Liked: 18 Times

I'm not breaking any rules really, I'm just being realistic. People don't like realistic opinions, they love when everything is bright and colorful with everyone jumping around and supporting each other no matter what. Oh well.

you're not being realistic. you're answer to this question was rude and inaccurate. almost everyone in this thread has found similar cases in the past, suggesting that he/she will probably be ok.

and as you can see, you're posts are getting voted down. i dont expect you to please everyone, i just expect people like you to have a little respect on macinsiders

nlobo likes this.
Old 12-06-2012 at 07:21 PM   #39
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gich View Post
I'm not breaking any rules really, I'm just being realistic. People don't like realistic opinions, they love when everything is bright and colorful with everyone jumping around and supporting each other no matter what. Oh well.

you're not being realistic. you're answer to this question was rude and inaccurate. almost everyone in this thread has found similar cases in the past, suggesting that he/she will probably be ok.

and as you can see, you're posts are getting voted down. i dont expect you to please everyone, i just expect people like you to have a little respect on macinsiders
What question are we talking about here Mark or did you just misquote me?

EDIT:
Yeah, I guess it was just a misquote. S'all good.
Old 12-06-2012 at 07:29 PM   #40
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

Mark Gich

Nothing rude and nothing disrespectful was said on my part. Unlike some other people who get a bit too emotional on the internet.

Those who thinks that missing an exam should grow up.

Missing An Exam is a cool name, but I never met that person.

I don't see how growing up is correlated to missing something important?

I'll refer you to one of my previous posts: "Sleeping over something is not part of being grown up, being responsible is". Read it slowly to get the point.

You cannot say you are ideal

I never said I was. I don't even know what you are talking about. All I said is that it is his fault and people started whining about me not being supportive and other nonsense.
Old 12-06-2012 at 07:44 PM   #41
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

AngryBeans, who says I was talking to you? So you're correct, you don't even know what I am talking about.
Old 12-06-2012 at 08:40 PM   #42
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

When i was in first year i showed up to one of my exams 2 hours later...my reason was different than yours, but don't worry about it, they are gonna let you write it again in February.
Emailing your professor won't help, you should go to your faculty and talk to them about it, they will give you a paper and you have to write the reason(s) why you missed your exam. They will send you an email within a week tell you if they let you write it again or not...but most likely they will let you write it again.

In case someone in the future missed their exam...that's what you should do:
1. Don't go to your professor, go to the Associate Dean's Office of your faculty or whatever it's called for you and talk to them. They will give you a paper and tell you to write the reason for missing the exam.
Note: regardless of the exam that you missed, always go to your faculty and talk to them. So, if you are an engineering student and missed a physics exam, don't go to the science faculty, go to the Associate Dean's Office on the 2nd floor of JHE and talk to them. Do it quickly, don't wait until you finish all of your exams.

2. Within a week your faculty will email you and let you know if the deferred exam request is granted or not.

3. If you missed an exam in December, you will write it again in February

4. If you missed an exam in April, you will write it again in June.

Everyone makes mistakes, and missing an exam is no different...so don't worry about, just make sure you understand why you missed the exam, so it doesn't happen again in the future.

Chad, mastercool, nlobo, Ponyo, RyanC like this.
Old 12-06-2012 at 08:46 PM   #43
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

... And this is part of why undergraduate degrees aren't worth anything anymore.

Overslept! Oops! NBD.

I hope you learned to set multiple alarms and get enough sleep the night before

Old 12-06-2012 at 08:48 PM   #44
Marooner

Liked: 59 Times

My Mom is the most clutch back-up alarm.

Old 12-06-2012 at 08:50 PM   #45
nlobo

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleighp View Post
Of course that wouldn't occur in that situation. In this case, the school happens to give you one free pass so i really don't think you can compare the two. Also, i don't think everyone is against AngryBean. Everyone is entitled to there own opinion but there is also a way to say it. This site is a support for McMaster students and if all someone is going to do is be rude, then he really shouldn't say anything at all. This guy is in first year and i'm sure he is freaking out about missing his first university exam. Saying things like "you've failed" really isn't helpful at all. It could be put in a much nicer way as others have done in this thread. In terms of searching google or the McMaster site, I find posting on a forum to be equally (if not more) helpful. The McMaster site at times is confusing and posting on a forum where other students who might have been in the same situation before, could be more helpful.

jim1, Mark Gich like this.