Missed My Exam! Help!! mcmaster1234 Academics 12 04-13-2011 01:57 PM
Missed Exam Help! levarun Academics 3 04-23-2010 12:36 PM
Missed my exam... MarkA Academics 28 04-21-2010 11:18 PM

Missed a Midterm worth 30%

Old 11-27-2014 at 12:09 PM   #1
commie21

Liked: 0 Times

Missed a Midterm worth 30%
I missed a midterm worth 30% on Friday the 21st, but I couldn't get an appointment to see my doctor until the tuesday after (the 24th) , so I've submitted the note he gave me on that day, since thats the earliest I could get it. Will my note get approved even if it was a little late??
Old 11-28-2014 at 08:19 AM   #2
2Dream

Liked: 24 Times

Did you MSAF? Correct me if I'm wrong, but a doctors note doesnt excuse you from a test right. I thought you had to MSAF and then the doctors note was for just in case the professor wanted proof. If doctors notes alone would get you out of a midterm, what would the point of the MSAF system be?:s
Old 11-28-2014 at 09:18 AM   #3
sarahsweet

Liked: 13 Times

Oh no, sorry to hear that Harleen!

Was the midterm missed because you went to the doctor on the 21st? You can get the doctor note stating it was the 21st you came in.

As 2Dream mentioned, did you go online to MSAF and indicate you were sick that day?

If not, I would go to the prof and talk with them about it, see what they say. If they say that you can't re-schedule a time to write it, then you can fight it with proof from your doctor's note and take it higher up to the faculty.
Old 11-28-2014 at 11:51 AM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Dream View Post
Did you MSAF? Correct me if I'm wrong, but a doctors note doesnt excuse you from a test right. I thought you had to MSAF and then the doctors note was for just in case the professor wanted proof. If doctors notes alone would get you out of a midterm, what would the point of the MSAF system be?:s
If you use the MSAF the first time, you do NOT require any sort of documentation whatsoever. That is the "point" of the MSAF system. It was initiated during the swine flu outbreak, because they didn't want people coming to campus and infecting everyone and also didn't want people overloading doctor's offices just to get a note (prior to MSAF, you required documentation if you missed any assignment whatsoever).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweet View Post

Was the midterm missed because you went to the doctor on the 21st? You can get the doctor note stating it was the 21st you came in.

As 2Dream mentioned, did you go online to MSAF and indicate you were sick that day?

If not, I would go to the prof and talk with them about it, see what they say. If they say that you can't re-schedule a time to write it, then you can fight it with proof from your doctor's note and take it higher up to the faculty.
The MSAF is only for things < 30% I believe, which means you cannot MSAF something that is 30% (I could be wrong about the weight, they keep changing it, but I think it's 30%).

Also, they are under no obligation to find you a time to re-write it, and even if they do, it won't necessarily be the same test. They can also move the weight to the final exam or give an alternate assignment if they choose. The doctor's note has to be accepted by the faculty though, or the prof is not obligated to make any accommodations at all.

Chad says thanks to starfish for this post.

Chad, Kudos like this.
Old 11-28-2014 at 01:14 PM   #5
2Dream

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweet View Post

The OP clearly stated he went to the doctors on the 24th... not the 21st...

Also, OP did you take the initiative to talk to the prof before the 24th?
Old 11-28-2014 at 06:19 PM   #6
topkek

Liked: 23 Times

yeah it sounds like the op is not actually sick.
Old 11-29-2014 at 04:37 PM   #7
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by topkek View Post
yeah it sounds like the op is not actually sick.
Well even if the OP is sick, not doing anything about it till many days later means it probably won't work in your favour. I was sick for a midterm and I emailed the prof the night before saying I may not make it and then I talk to them next time in class if it's a problem