MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Missed Term 1 Cancellation Deadline DutchRudder First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 15 11-21-2011 05:18 PM
I think i missed the deadline to submit the new student form. What should I do? kkis1203 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 07-15-2011 08:04 PM
Residence Cancellation/Refund Deadline Has Been Extended niteskie MacInsiders Announcements 0 08-02-2009 02:12 PM
residence guarantee lbqjenny Residence & Housing 4 05-25-2009 12:13 AM

Missed the Residence guarantee cutoff deadline

Old 06-11-2012 at 05:29 PM   #1
Unregistered

Missed the Residence guarantee cutoff deadline
Like the title of my thread suggests, I've missed the cutoff for guaranteed residence, which I was previously offered.
I've been placed on a waiting list after applying for res on June 10th, 2012.
How likely am I to get a place to stay on residence?
I think it would be impractically difficult for me as a first year to find a place to live off res and I wouldn't really know where to begin.
Any advice?
Old 06-11-2012 at 05:40 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

It's not hard to find a place off campus. Your chances for residence are still high I guess people do drop out cause their marks drop etc. or change of university.

You can start here to look for housing. http://macoffcampus.mcmaster .ca/classifieds/index.php
Or you can just go to Hamilton look for signs that say "For rent". Kajiji has some too. If you want to wait for res, you can. You get better deals for off campus closer to year start but your choices/conditions are limited.

Marooner likes this.
Old 06-11-2012 at 06:47 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

It's not likely you'll be getting a residence spot. On June 1st they ordered to waiting list by grades, then after June 1st, anyone who applies is placed on the end of the waiting list. Of course it depends on how long the waiting list is and how many people decide not to get into residence but you're likely to be very far down the list. You can always call housing and ask them what number you are to get a better judgment of if you'll get a room or not.

http://housing.mcmaster.ca/Residence...ing_staff.html

In the meantime you should look for off-campus housing and maybe even look for roommates so you can all look for houses and can share that responsibility instead of taking it all on yourself which can be overwhelming. You can probably find roommates on MacInsiders or on the facebook groups.
Old 06-12-2012 at 08:33 AM   #4
Marooner

Liked: 59 Times

Leeoku definitely gave you the best places to begin your off campus residence search. It is not difficult at all and there are many people here to help you. I know everything may seem extremely overwhelming for you right now, but believe me many other students are going through the same things, and we all have. If you are truly interested in renting a space I could talk to my landlord for you, he has many properties around McMaster (I live 450M to mid campus) so its basically like rez. I'm not sure if he has an entire house atm for you and friends, but I am absolutely positive he has single rooms available. Shoot me a PM if you'd like. Also, as Leeoku indicated: http://macoffcampus.mcmaster .ca/classifieds/index.php is very helpful. Also, we have a marketplace here on MacInsiders where you can find offers from your fellow students.

Old 06-12-2012 at 09:08 AM   #5
ricechrispy

Liked: 9 Times

perhaps these might be of some help:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/311152112289801/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/mcmasterhousing/?ref=ts
http://www.facebook.com/groups/mcmhousing/?ref=ts

also, on the mac '15 fb group, someone posted this:
Are you struggling to find a house? Are you Sick and tired of talking to Landlords? Well you don’t have to deal with difficult landlords anymore. The Crisp housing service is now available at McMaster University

All you have to do is contact one of our members, or send an email to [email protected] with your housing preferences (location, number of rooms, group size and any other additional criteria you may have) and our staff will schedule you in to show you and your group a variety of houses that match your preferences. All you have to do is show up!

To sign up, go to: http://goo.gl/zoUjl

https://www.facebook.com/groups/423173601036098/

Marooner likes this.
Old 06-19-2012 at 02:11 AM   #6
TAROS

Liked: 0 Times

An update of the situation.
I'm the original poster of this thread.
I made an account because the website forced me to.

I'm number 200 on the wait list, according to the residence application website.
Does anyone know how precise this number is?
Is it just a coincidence that I am number 200 on the dot or is this an approximation?
If I am number 200, how good are my chances?
Old 06-19-2012 at 02:18 AM   #7
sinnersdrown

Liked: 89 Times

The numbers are completely accurate and you just happen to be 200. It's difficult to say if you'll get residence because it varies every year but I would find alternative housing just in case.
Old 06-19-2012 at 08:39 AM   #8
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

I was going to say that if you're under 100 you have a good chance, but 200? damn that's a bit too high of a number.

Start looking for a place, but keep checking the website anyways.
Old 06-19-2012 at 11:52 AM   #9
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Pretty much a zero percent chance. I missed the deadline by only a day in first year, and I was wait listed to position ~260. Only about 100 of those people got off of the wait list.

There are a ton more people in first year this year than when I applied.

Best start your off-campus housing search now.