MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Missing program for program selectiom paradox660 Academics 5 06-11-2012 08:21 PM
IS there any way to take a course without HAVING the prerequisite? rcmp1234 Academics 16 02-27-2011 12:39 AM
Is economics 4th year courses necessary to minor in economics? lululand Academics 3 09-06-2010 11:36 PM

Missing prerequisite for economics program

Old 03-01-2013 at 04:01 PM   #1
fidanzag

Liked: 0 Times

Missing prerequisite for economics program
I'm in my first year and I want to major in economics, but I did not take one of the introductory courses that are required to get into the program.
I wont be able to take it during the summer either.
Does anyone know if I can use next semester to catch up with some prerequisites for 2nd year courses and then take 2nd year economics courses in January?
Or will I be wasting one year?

Thanks!!
Old 03-01-2013 at 04:06 PM   #2
rpg51
Elite Member

Liked: 139 Times

best to talk to an academic adviser regarding this matter. I would suggest emailing Dr. Martin Dooley (He's the undergrad director). His email is [email protected]. He'll prob meet with you and discuss this matter and give you advice. Plus it's a good way to ask him details about the econ program.

fidanzag says thanks to rpg51 for this post.
Old 03-01-2013 at 04:34 PM   #3
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Apply for level II social science, take the second intro course in the fall as well as your calculus (1F03) and stats (1L03 if you didn't take grade 12 data management and soc sci 2J03).

Then you can take 2G03 and 2H03 in the winter. You can enter the three year economics program after this and you won't really be too far behind but you won't be able to apply for honours until you complete 2GG3 and 2HH3. You can knock off most of the classes you need without being in honours, or even in the Econ program, though, it's a pretty open department as long as you meet the prereqs. You can apply for honours after your third year.

Been there, done that. Your best bet, though, is to try to find a way to take the other intro course in the summer. Perhaps at another school or online?

fidanzag says thanks to Kudos for this post.