MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FINANCE MATTERS! Free Workshop January 30th, 2010 Alison MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-19-2010 10:37 AM
Gender Matters Forum - Jan 22 Lois MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-12-2010 09:55 AM
Important Questions! p4lyfe12 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 08-22-2009 02:45 PM
Important Dates Nino General Discussion 72 08-03-2009 11:13 PM

More important matters.

Old 08-21-2009 at 02:23 AM   #76
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

So the university is not going to back down on the two-tier pension system they want to implement...

Not good.
Old 08-21-2009 at 01:41 PM   #77
ghjkghkghkgh

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
From the TA perspective, "Tuition-freezing" is a pretty important issue to discuss.

I will be out there, with an "I want to teach damnit" sign.

Me too, though maybe with my Guy Fawkes mask on since I'm afraid of what the woolies might do to me.

Little seems to have been done by CUPE to contact the 3000 TAs who are involved in this, and who presumedly should be informed. Instead, the handful who usually control things make the decisions. Isn't this what the union was supposed to protect us against?
Old 08-21-2009 at 01:47 PM   #78
ghjkghkghkgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:callen:. View Post
So the university is not going to back down on the two-tier pension system they want to implement...

Not good.
I've been trying to figure out this whole thing and I can't get through the jargon. Callen, could you explain the issues with the pension plan proposal?
Old 08-21-2009 at 02:17 PM   #79
michelle

Liked: 61 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghjkghkghkgh View Post
Me too, though maybe with my Guy Fawkes mask on since I'm afraid of what the woolies might do to me.

Little seems to have been done by CUPE to contact the 3000 TAs who are involved in this, and who presumedly should be informed. Instead, the handful who usually control things make the decisions. Isn't this what the union was supposed to protect us against?
I've received a couple emails pushing for the strike vote, but that's about it. There are a few sites around with some more info:

http://unit1bargaining.wordp ress.com/

http://www.cupe3906.org/

.:callen:. likes this.
Old 08-21-2009 at 02:46 PM   #80
ghjkghkghkgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle View Post
I've received a couple emails pushing for the strike vote, but that's about it. There are a few sites around with some more info:

http://unit1bargaining.wordp ress.com/

http://www.cupe3906.org/
Thank you for the link.

I have seen both of these sites, after having accidentally stumbled across the issue (the whole issue) and then spending maybe half an hour or more searching.

3906 has our contact information, or at the very least has access to it (through our department offices, through whom they collect our union fees). It would not be hard for them to contact all of us, since we all have a right to vote and be informed. It's at best irresponsible that they haven't contacted at least 80% of the TAs whose contracts are being bargained-for and whose jobs are at risk currently.

I once went to a 3906 general meeting, and about 30 people were there (less than five of whom were from engineering, health science, and science - the largest faculties at McMaster). It was in a small room, so that's all they expected to get. Is it apathy, or just that the local isn't trying hard enough to get the word out? I'd tend to think that there would be more democracy to the decisions that were made if things were done more democratically.

Last edited by ghjkghkghkgh : 08-21-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-21-2009 at 03:37 PM   #81
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Two things:

Does this affect only TAs at the graduate level?

Could they hire "scab" undergrad TAs if grad ones do indeed go on strike?

I'm a little bit confused as to the differences between the two groups, as they are providing the same service, but with different levels of education, so I'm unsure if they're both part of a union or not.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-21-2009 at 05:43 PM   #82
ghjkghkghkgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Two things:

Does this affect only TAs at the graduate level?
I think the current issue is with "Unit 1," which are teaching and research assistants (both undergrad and grad).

The university could probably hire replacement workers, but it would be unlikely that they'd do that. That being said, there's no way to legally stop people from hiring private tutors, and union members could still teach their students if they wished to do so (they wouldn't necessarily get paid for it, but they could still do it).
Old 08-21-2009 at 08:40 PM   #83
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

Sorry to interrupt the conversation between the TAs involved, but I am curious of the undergraduate ramifications of this issue. If the union does go on strike, (which, correct me if I am wrong, they have suggested) won't the lack of TAs essentially halt all undergraduate studies at Mac? I know that both the university and the union have explicitly stated that they do not want to create another "YorkU" situation.....but is it rational for an undergrad student at Mac to be fearing the worst at this moment in time, or is it safe to say that Mac will remain academically stable?

(pardon me for being another overly curious first-year )
Old 08-21-2009 at 10:27 PM   #84
ghjkghkghkgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmowen View Post
Sorry to interrupt the conversation between the TAs involved, but I am curious of the undergraduate ramifications of this issue. If the union does go on strike, (which, correct me if I am wrong, they have suggested) won't the lack of TAs essentially halt all undergraduate studies at Mac? I know that both the university and the union have explicitly stated that they do not want to create another "YorkU" situation.....but is it rational for an undergrad student at Mac to be fearing the worst at this moment in time, or is it safe to say that Mac will remain academically stable?

(pardon me for being another overly curious first-year )

The lack of TAs doesn't spell disaster. In fact, for a TA to even be assigned to a course the university requires there to be a certain level of enrollment in that course. It typically happens in some upper-level courses that there's no TA if it happens at all, and in those cases where it does the prof manages anyway. In some cases, there aren't even any markers assigned to the courses.

Of course, things are different if there are a lot of students in a course and no TAs. I'd imagine that given the immense negative press that the York situation (rightly) got, a way will be found to manage with the shortage of assistantship.

Shmowen says thanks to ghjkghkghkgh for this post.
Old 08-21-2009 at 10:35 PM   #85
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

To be honest, I highly doubt we'll have a York situation. If we do go on strike, I wouldn't be surprised if it ended right before school starts. For example, if say workers go on strike for only a week-- the university doesn't need to pay them and saves money. Also, after the York situation, I'm pretty sure administration sees how much that university is struggling with enrollment and wouldn't want that to happen here. I'm really not all too concerned. That's just how I see it though

Shmowen says thanks to ferreinm for this post.
Old 08-22-2009 at 12:07 AM   #86
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Could they hire "scab" undergrad TAs if grad ones do indeed go on strike?
Don't think so...Undergrad TAs are in the union too. (I even had to picket when I TA'd in my 2nd year, unless the rules have changed)
Old 08-22-2009 at 09:10 AM   #87
ghjkghkghkgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
I even had to picket when I TA'd in my 2nd year, unless the rules have changed
I don't think it's legal to require anyone to picket. If you were forced, whoever was doing the forcing could face charges.
Old 08-22-2009 at 09:21 AM   #88
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghjkghkghkgh View Post
I don't think it's legal to require anyone to picket. If you were forced, whoever was doing the forcing could face charges.
If you want to be paid, you are required to picket though.
Old 08-22-2009 at 09:55 AM   #89
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferreinm View Post
If you want to be paid, you are required to picket though.
Yep this is true. You won't get your strike pay if you don't register for picket hours. There have been cases of unions fining members who refuse to do anything during a strike.

It makes sense from their perspective. It's not fair if the members who refused to do anything during a strike reap the benefits that the striking members worked hard for.
Old 08-22-2009 at 10:06 AM   #90
ghjkghkghkgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:callen:. View Post
There have been cases of unions fining members who refuse to do anything during a strike.
This seems just backwards to me - the union is supposed to be a democratic organization against the larger employer. It's pure irony that members are fined for not toeing the line.

Perhaps fining members who voted affirmatively of a strike mandate and not then picketing would make some sense, but fining members for thinking independently is just wrong in my mind. More-so since they never agreed to any terms that would require them to picket (at least I didn't when I began working as a TA).