MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I talk to a course advisor/counsellor or something? shawnar First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 09-06-2013 09:48 PM
Hi everyone! Let's talk! :) tayb Introduce Yourself 3 06-23-2013 09:44 PM
Who should I talk to for help? Giantorange Academics 2 03-27-2011 06:09 PM
Transferring: Who can I talk to for that? sinnersdrown First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 11-14-2010 09:50 PM

To the morons who talk during lectures...

Old 09-24-2013 at 02:54 PM  
Tina_Belcher

Liked: 4 Times

To the morons who talk during lectures...

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Last edited by Tina_Belcher : 09-24-2013 at 03:13 PM.

Entropy, gggggg, lizziepizzie like this.
Old 09-24-2013 at 03:03 PM   #1
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 201 Times

3 things I know people do:

Ask professor to do something.

Listen to music, or just wear headphones to cancel out the noise.

Don't go to lectures, but do more work outside the class.
Old 09-24-2013 at 03:06 PM   #2
gggggg

Liked: 53 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina_Belcher View Post
Just fucking stop it, mmmkay? You're not in high school anymore, so it's no longer cool to undermine the teacher and behave like a slacker and pretend to be disinterested in learning. It doesn't matter if it's an elective class, an early class, a late class, an easy class, whatever, it's incredibly rude and distracting to everyone who is unfortunate enough to be sitting in your vicinity. I'm not talking about a discreet whisper to the person beside you, I'm referring to the assholes who have full on conversations while the professor is lecturing, or talk at a loud volume with complete disregard. Didn't we all learn how to use our indoor voices in kindergarten?

Seriously, I thought I left these types of people behind when I left high school. The fact that retards like this made it past the first year is disheartening. I'm sure mommy and daddy don't mind wasting their money on you to screw around, but I'm here to concentrate and actually learn something. I'm here to listen to the professor talk, not here listen to your inane conversation about how stupidly drunk you got on the weekend. Why bother coming to class anyway if you're just going to chat it up like a couple of old ladies at the beauty parlour?

Seriously, people get uppity when you talk during a $10 movie; if I'm paying however many hundreds of dollars it is for a course at MAC, I feel justified complaining about this, no matter how miniscule it seems. If you're one of these people, stop it. Do everyone a favour and stay home or something. I just finished a lecture where these two dumb bitches literally talked for the entire 50 minutes, even when someone 3 rows in front of them told them to stfu.
I suggest bringing mustard gas, that would shut them up for sure.

chrisA likes this.
Old 09-24-2013 at 03:09 PM   #3
UnfortunateL

Liked: 7 Times

Grow some courage, if you don't like what's going on tell someone to shut the fuck up or leave.

Like you said, this isn't high school, and you're entitled to speak your mind. And if they don't get out, make them. Go sit behind them and kick their seat until they shut the hell up.

Complaining gets you nowhere on the internet. Do something about it.
Old 09-24-2013 at 03:09 PM   #4
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Quote:
I suggest bringing mustard gas, that would shut them up for sure.
No, when someone farts in the classroom people usually get relaxed and start laughing. They will never shut up in that case.
Old 09-24-2013 at 03:15 PM   #5
king10

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Just fucking stop it, mmmkay? You're not in high school anymore, so it's no longer cool to undermine the teacher and behave like a slacker and pretend to be disinterested in learning. It doesn't matter if it's an elective class, an early class, a late class, an easy class, whatever, it's incredibly rude and distracting to everyone who is unfortunate enough to be sitting in your vicinity. I'm not talking about a discreet whisper to the person beside you, I'm referring to the assholes who have full on conversations while the professor is lecturing, or talk at a loud volume with complete disregard. Didn't we all learn how to use our indoor voices in kindergarten?

Seriously, I thought I left these types of people behind when I left high school. The fact that retards like this made it past the first year is disheartening. I'm sure mommy and daddy don't mind wasting their money on you to screw around, but I'm here to concentrate and actually learn something. I'm here to listen to the professor talk, not here listen to your inane conversation about how stupidly drunk you got on the weekend. Why bother coming to class anyway if you're just going to chat it up like a couple of old ladies at the beauty parlour?

Seriously, people get uppity when you talk during a $10 movie; if I'm paying however many hundreds of dollars it is for a course at MAC, I feel justified complaining about this, no matter how miniscule it seems. If you're one of these people, stop it. Do everyone a favour and stay home or something. I just finished a lecture where these two dumb bitches literally talked for the entire 50 minutes, even when someone 3 rows in front of them told them to stfu. I'm still steamed over it.
ive been in grad school for a year and myself as well as my classmates still talk in class so you're more than likely just going to have to deal with it my friend

SweetyTweety likes this.
Old 09-24-2013 at 03:18 PM   #6
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

When I was in first year, there were a small group of guys who wouldn't shut up during an 8:30 lecture. People kept telling them to shut up and by the second week of classes, the prof got so fed up that she had the entire class vote on whether to kick them out of the leture hall. Most people voted yes and the prof had them removed from her class.

Jesse.C, shelbs like this.
Old 09-24-2013 at 03:30 PM  
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 255 Times

Quote:
I just finished a lecture where these two dumb bitches literally talked for the entire 50 minutes, even when someone 3 rows in front of them told them to stfu. I'm still steamed over it.
So the first thing you thought to do was post on here about it?

Speak to the prof, or write them an email. I've had many classes where they do a bit of housekeeping at the start of lecture and address noisemakers in class. They're usually pretty serious about it.

Quote:
Seriously, I thought I left these types of people behind when I left high school.
Hardly. People don't suddenly grow into adults the moment they step into university, contrary to popular belief.

If anything, the students whose parents are paying to attend post-secondary are now at a point where they're costing them more money than they ever have in their lifetime.
Old 09-24-2013 at 03:47 PM   #7
gggggg

Liked: 53 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlinkett View Post
No, when someone farts in the classroom people usually get relaxed and start laughing. They will never shut up in that case.
you fart mustard gas? You should see a doctor, or else your friends might die.
Old 09-24-2013 at 05:35 PM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Didn't experience this much, the professors I've had encounter people who were talking, embarassed the talkers to no end. Seriously funny seeing Nikolova heckle talking people..
Old 09-24-2013 at 06:02 PM   #9
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Sitting closer to the front helps. Also chit-chatting is less frequent in smaller classes (<20).
Old 09-24-2013 at 06:53 PM   #10
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggggg View Post
you fart mustard gas? You should see a doctor, or else your friends might die.
Ha, jokes on you... I don't have any friends.

DMe3, eullwm, shelbs like this.
Old 09-24-2013 at 07:57 PM   #11
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 133 Times

I think her argument is that she shouldn't have to talk to the prof. People should act their age and respect that the majority of the class is there to learn.

cassie25 likes this.
Old 09-24-2013 at 09:11 PM   #12
Tina_Belcher

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie42 View Post
I think her argument is that she shouldn't have to talk to the prof. People should act their age and respect that the majority of the class is there to learn.
Thank you. This is apparently a hard concept for others to understand.

Also I need to learn how to "grow courage". Any advice?
Old 09-24-2013 at 09:21 PM   #13
Jesse.C
Account Locked

Liked: 32 Times

stop caring what other people think about you, otherwise you will always be their slaves.