MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Interactive Move-In Information! etoilex3 MacInsiders Announcements 1 08-20-2010 09:20 PM
Need Program Information Keile First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 07-16-2010 02:55 PM
Need more information about a mark savannah123 Academics 9 01-21-2010 05:56 PM
Information About TimeTable esaad91 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-25-2009 12:40 PM
4th Years Information lorend Academics 0 11-10-2007 12:51 PM

Move-In Information

Move- In Information

In case you didn't already know, move-in will occur either on August 30th or 31st depending on your residence.

Whidden Hall- August 31st
Woodstock - August 31st
Wallingford- August 31st
Moulton- August 31st
McKay- August 30th
Matthews- August 30th
Mary Keyes- August 31st
Les Prince- August 30th
Hedden- August 31st
Edwards- August 30th
Brandon- August 30th
Bates- August 30th

For further information of which time your floor will be moving in on that set date please visit: http://housing.mcmaster.ca/Residence...ovein2008 .html

The website also includes a Move-In map, necessary items to bring on the day you move in and what to do if you are unable to move on the assigned date.

J-Met, MacEng, magicalland, Ms.Williams all say thanks to ferreinm for this post.
Published by
Elite Member

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 07-24-2008 at 11:43 AM   #2
MacEng

Liked: 125 Times
Thanks for the list!

I am moving in on the 31, since welcome week starts on the 30, will I miss anything?

Old 07-24-2008 at 12:00 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times
No. For those moving in on the 30th will be doing res-only activities. Campus-wide activities start on the 31st. You may miss a little bit of the carnival, though.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-24-2008 at 12:00 PM   #4
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times
Nope! The main events don't begin until the 31st. the residences that move in on the 30th have their in-hall events occur and are pretty much just moving in all day. On the 31st the big events begin and that's what you want to be there for!!

Old 07-24-2008 at 12:26 PM   #5
angel27

Liked: 7 Times
how many boxes are we allowed to bring? is there a limit?

Old 07-24-2008 at 12:56 PM   #6
ferreinm
Elite Member

There is no limit. However, be reasonable. The rooms aren't that large and you will likely be sharing with at least one other person so don't need to bring in your entire bedroom to campus. I brought 2-3 boxes and 2 suitcases when I moved into my double.

angel27 says thanks to ferreinm for this post.

Old 07-24-2008 at 01:00 PM   #7
Sarah13

Liked: 11 Times
WOW really? That's it?
I think I had something like 14 boxes, plus 2 big suitcases. Yes, I was grossly overpacked, but I did have a lot of non-perishable food for snacks, and I never wished I had brought something else...
The WW reps moving me in probably hated me, and it was kind of daunting seeing all my stuff in the hall, and trying to get everything organized into my side of a Brandon double.

Old 07-24-2008 at 01:04 PM   #8
ferreinm
Elite Member

Brandon rooms aren't that big. How did you manage to bring everything? I brought everything, I didn't need to go back home to bring anything. Also, I'd like to note that my technological things weren't in boxes and I carried them in on my own. I also had my toiletries, makeup and such in a bag. But I was NO WHERE near close to 14 boxes and I had everything I would need and then some. Its not really that necessary to bring food though.

Old 07-24-2008 at 01:10 PM   #9
Sarah13

Liked: 11 Times
To this day, I still have absolutely no idea how I managed to fit everything in. My techie stuff was in boxes, and I had almost all of my books already (bought them from someone who had just finished first year). I guess I had some cooking-ish stuff...a frying pan, a cutting board, some tupperware, and some dishes and silverware.
Still though, I can't imagine only bringing 3 boxes!
I must have been fairly good at organizing stuff into my room though, cause everything fit without looking like the room was going to explode...

Old 07-24-2008 at 01:18 PM   #10
ferreinm
Elite Member

I had pretty big boxes not gonna lie. But the things you need the most are small things like hangers, school supplies, etc. It was so long ago. I had a lot of things on their own ie my fan was still in the box I bought it in and wasn't boxed away and such. You don't need to bring too many things into residence though just the necessities. Books and food don't really need to be bought and unless you're going to cook you don't need to bring pots and pans. I brought that stuff and never used it once.

Old 07-25-2008 at 07:35 AM   #11
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times
Last year I was a WWR for Woodstock and I had one student on my floor (the top mind you) with 10 rubbermaid containers, 3 suitcases and a minifridge. I still don't know how she did it but she made it all work.

I had one guys mother following me around the floor asking me a million and one questions while I was carting fridges to peoples rooms. Next time I'm going to carry a pocket full of MacInsiders cards and give those out instead of answering! hehe

Old 07-25-2008 at 09:11 AM   #12
ferreinm
Elite Member

Wow, that's intense. I guess it depends on how far away home is and how many things you really need. Was she in a single?

Are there MacInsider cards that we can give out? I don't mind answering questions but we can't answer everything on move-in day since it is so busy.

Old 07-25-2008 at 10:17 AM   #13
__lexington

Liked: 1 Time
While I'm thinking about it: It says on the school website to park in Lot M, formerly zone 6. I parked in zone 6 for the orientation day earlier in July, but I didn't notice how close it was to the residences. So...logistically, how is this going to work? (I don't think the move-in day map is up yet, either)

Also, if I rent a fridge through coldex, when will it be delievered?

Old 07-25-2008 at 10:22 AM   #14
ferreinm
Elite Member

When you move in you're going to be driving by the residence and people will quickly take out all of your things and the driver will park somewhere. I don't know where exactly though. You won't be hauling out all of your stuff from Zone 6 though so don't worry about that.

As for the fridges I don't know the answer to that. But I would assume they would be in there already if you order in advance or at least within the first week.

Old 07-25-2008 at 10:33 AM   #15
__lexington

Liked: 1 Time
Hahaha...good. I was thinking... for anyone to have to carry boxes and suitcases from zone six to rez is ridic.!
What size would you suggest for a Whidden triple??? (I won't be attending welcome day as I'm on "vacation") Coldex offers 2, 3 and 5 cubic foot fridges.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search