MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Interactive Move-In Information! etoilex3 MacInsiders Announcements 1 08-20-2010 09:20 PM
Need Program Information Keile First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 07-16-2010 02:55 PM
Need more information about a mark savannah123 Academics 9 01-21-2010 05:56 PM
Information About TimeTable esaad91 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-25-2009 12:40 PM
4th Years Information lorend Academics 0 11-10-2007 12:51 PM

Move-In Information

Old 07-31-2008 at 12:59 PM   #30
ferreinm
Elite Member
Program: Philosophy
Year: Fourth
Residence: WHIDDEN HALL

Liked: 120 Times
Early move-in requests must be submitted by August 8th by 10 am this is for faculty, maroons, qscc, efrt or iris cast/crew.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 08-01-2008 at 04:28 PM   #31
AlyciaT
Program: Molecular Biology
Year: Second

Liked: 0 Times
On move-in day, after you have registered and got your keys can you and your parents go into the room or is no one allowed in?
Old 08-01-2008 at 05:01 PM   #32
ferreinm
Elite Member

Yeah, your parents can go in. You cannot have overnight guests for the first week of school though. However, you're definitely allowed to into your room to unpack and all that jazz
Old 08-02-2008 at 01:23 PM   #33
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Year: Alumni
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
Just PLEASE try to keep the number of people coming to a minimum. The more people you bring the more chaotic it can be for you, as well as your roommates and the reps bringing you your stuff. Immediate family is cool, but once the rest of the family starts to come...it gets to be a little bit much.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-03-2008 at 07:03 PM   #34
KaylaMarie
Program: Linguistics
Year: Other
Residence: Moulton

Liked: 3 Times
Just out of curiosity, are we allowed to bring certain things up to our rooms ourselves? I'm mainly thinking of expensive, fragile things (monitor, laptop, breakables, etc)? Also, how exactly does move in work? Is our stuff dropped off in front of our room? Inside the room? Just wondering. Should we label our residence and room number on each box? Thanks!
Old 08-03-2008 at 07:07 PM   #35
ferreinm
Elite Member

Label everything.

You bring your computer, fragile items and things not contained in boxes inside. the reps aren't allowed to do it.

they put everything outside of your door make sure everything is labeled because they might get moved around!! I was in room B126 and they put it in 126 instead so luckily my name was on the box as well because it was eventually returned to me.

LABEL LABEL LABEL! It's necessary!

KaylaMarie says thanks to ferreinm for this post.
Old 08-03-2008 at 11:23 PM   #36
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaMarie View Post
Just out of curiosity, are we allowed to bring certain things up to our rooms ourselves? I'm mainly thinking of expensive, fragile things (monitor, laptop, breakables, etc)? Also, how exactly does move in work? Is our stuff dropped off in front of our room? Inside the room? Just wondering. Should we label our residence and room number on each box? Thanks!

Reps aren't supposed to touch anything breakable/fragile (ie compoopers) in case they get dropped or broken. That is unless of course they're still in their boxes complete with styrafoam packaging.

Move-in works as follows:

You pull up to the designated area.
Your car gets swarmed by people in brightly coloured suits.
Your stuff gets loaded into a cart, or onto a trailer.
It gets taken to the appropriate res.
Then eventually to the appropriate room.
Everything is done in groups by floor; which is why it is of utmost importance you move in at your designated time...otherwise you're going to have to wait for your stuff
From there it is dropped outside your room
So...LABEL LABEL LABEL!!!

And occaisonally, things don't go where they're supposed to (we're humans...it's a loooong tiring day, most years it is hot, and we're in polyester suits that don't breathe). Sooo if it's labelled it will eventually find its way to your new home. But make sure if you have a box with 'this end up' arrows that you label your box accordingly.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

KaylaMarie says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 08-04-2008
kokosas
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-15-2008 at 07:23 PM   #37
ferreinm
Elite Member

Staff move in this weekend... packing is not fun =)
Old 08-18-2008 at 08:25 AM   #38
woodlawngirl
Program: Kinesiology
Year: First
Residence: McKay

i just bought a fridge from a friend, and it didnt come in a box. do i need to find a box it will fit in for move in? can the WW reps move it without a box?
thanks
Old 08-18-2008 at 08:32 AM   #39
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff
Program: English and Classics
Year: Third
Residence: Edwards

Liked: 23 Times
Yes, we can move it in without a box, just tape the cord to it so no one trips and make sure it's clearly labeled like the rest of your stuff with your name, room number and residence building!

Old 08-18-2008 at 07:10 PM   #40
Gurleen
Faculty: Social Science
Year: First

when/where do we pick up our keys? (im living in LP)...because if i hang on to my computer and printer, and fragile things...it only makes sense to take that stuff up it when I have my keys, right? is it ppossible to pick up your before the reps start taking your stuff up? and that way you can put your stuff in your room as the reps bring it up?
Old 08-18-2008 at 07:18 PM   #41
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

You will be directed by the reps who are unloading your vehicle where to go. It's usually at the appropriate Service Desk (North or West Quad) [North Quad = Whidden Woodstock, Hedden, McKay, Brandon, Les Prince Edwards. West Quad = Bates, Keyes, Moulton, Wallingford, Matthews].

Old 08-18-2008 at 07:26 PM   #42
Cippi
Program: Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences

Liked: 1 Time
You'll likely be picking up your keys at the Commons Building. As your car gets unloaded, the reps will tell you to go over and get your keys. It's not really possible to pick them up before the reps start taking your stuff up because of the way the traffic flow is structured on that day - you'll have to drive a very specific route to Les Prince, and won't be able to park somewhere else to go to Commons to get them (nowhere remotely nearby, anyway). Also, your car will usually be unloaded in literally under a minute by the reps, so you won't have a chance before they're finished, either.

The system really does work well if you let it. Once your things are inside the building, the reps put them into staging areas in the lobby in order to bring them to the correct floor, and then they're delivered to right outside your door (since it's obviously locked). It sometimes takes time for your things to reach your room, so the reps are pretty much counting on you to take the time to go get your keys before returning to the building, or else you may be waiting around for awhile for the things to get there.

You may want to take a few things with you when you get your keys so that you can bring them right up afterwards, otherwise have your family/friends bring the fragile things from the car when they go and park it - or just make another trip over there later yourself.

TheAxtmann says thanks to Cippi for this post.
Old 08-18-2008 at 07:41 PM   #43
Cristina_n13
Program: Biology
Residence: Moulton, Wallingford, McKay, SOCS

Liked: 23 Times
So, I'm in a situation in which my move in time is 12pm, but it is easiest/most comfortable for my parents and I to be at mac at about 10:00 to 10:30am. Is it possible for us to park somewhere, and then go walk around campus/hamilton area without moving our things, then once comes 12pm we can go and get our things unloaded & set up? Or would that be incredibly confusing or a hassle?

ALSO, when I ordered my macpass, the girl who i handed my application in to told me that i should pick up my macpass as soon as possible so they don't run out of smaller shirts so I end up swimming in my shirt if i end up with an XL shirt. If i end up getting my macpass after 12 on the 2nd day, would that put me at a disadvanage to get a decently sized shirt?

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search