MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Interactive Move-In Information! etoilex3 MacInsiders Announcements 1 08-20-2010 09:20 PM
Need Program Information Keile First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 07-16-2010 02:55 PM
Need more information about a mark savannah123 Academics 9 01-21-2010 05:56 PM
Information About TimeTable esaad91 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-25-2009 12:40 PM
4th Years Information lorend Academics 0 11-10-2007 12:51 PM

Move-In Information

Old 07-25-2008 at 10:36 AM   #15
ferreinm
Elite Member
Program: Philosophy
Year: Fourth
Residence: WHIDDEN HALL

Liked: 120 Times
If the three of you all pitch in you can put the 5 cubic foot fridges in. I know a few people who have lived in Whidden triples who had that size. There is room for it. Whidden triples aren't ridiculously small.

__lexington says thanks to ferreinm for this post.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 07-25-2008 at 10:38 AM   #16
__lexington
Program: Communication Studies
Year: Second
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 1 Time
Hmmm....hmmm.

Thanks
Old 07-25-2008 at 12:05 PM   #17
**jewel 03**
Program: Health Studies

Liked: Liked 2 Times
what type of bed sheets should we buy? Twin or..?
Old 07-25-2008 at 12:08 PM   #18
ferreinm
Elite Member

Twin =)

**jewel 03** says thanks to ferreinm for this post.
Old 07-25-2008 at 08:08 PM   #19
Sarah13
Program: Pharmacology
Residence: Brandon Alum!

Liked: 11 Times
Last year, parking on move in day was in the lot behind the student centre (across from MDCL). And the reps unloading the car tend to be ridiculously fast...by the time I got my keys and walked up to my room, all of my stuff was already there...
Old 07-25-2008 at 08:32 PM   #20
Cippi
Program: Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences
Year: Alumni

Yep, the Welcome Week Reps are awesome, move-in is really orchestrated well. I'd suggest everyone read over the residence package that was mailed to you carefully, it has all the move-in routes and parking areas mapped out in it - it's choreographed very precisely to go as smoothly as possible.

Before reading it, a lot of people think that during move-in they're basically on their own, when nothing could be further from the truth - in fact, it wouldn't work at all if that were the case (since there aren't enough spaces for 3000 people to park and unload, and definitely not enough elevators for people to take things up on their own!).

During move-in, be patient - depending on what time you arrive, you may have to wait in a line of cars for a few minutes, which seems to make some people ansy (as in, "I see the building, why can't I pull up next to it and unload my own stuff?"). Just be a little patient, and know that the way it's run makes it WAY faster for you in the end. Like I said before, if everyone does their own thing, it'd be chaos. There will be MANY students directing traffic and telling you exactly where to go, and you'll be asked anywhere between 10 and 3000 times whether or not all your boxes and bags are labelled with your name and room number :p

That's so important that I'll say it again: label all your boxes, bags, etc. with your name and room number! That is key. The reason for this is because after you wait in that line of cars for a few minutes, eventually you'll make it up to the unloading area where about 20 brightly-coloured WW Reps will descend on your car and unload it in approximately 16 seconds :p All your things will then be delivered to your room and be waiting for you there while you go and get your keys (except for things you want to bring up yourself, like electronics). When you get back to the building, keep in mind that you'll have to take whatever you're carrying yourself up to your room via the stairs, since the elevators aren't for passenger use during move-in (they're only used for moving boxes and bags to the upper floors for distribution to the rooms by the reps).

It all looks like chaos, but it's not - in fact, it's quite fun! Just make sure you read the move-in instructions for your building carefully!
Old 07-25-2008 at 09:50 PM   #21
katrinabell
Program: History and Linguistics

Liked: 19 Times
I don't mind using the stairs myself but my room is on the top floor and my mom has terrible knees. I'm in Woodstock so there's only 1 elevator, would she still be allowed to ride up in it?
Old 07-25-2008 at 09:56 PM   #22
Cippi
Program: Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences

You may have to wait a little while for it to be free, but if you ask the reps in the lobby who are loading the elevator, they probably would be able to accomodate her. They switch the elevators over to "Service" mode during move-in so that they can be controlled completely manually from inside the elevator (i.e., the call buttons on each floor don't work), so they'd have to bring her up on it. Usually they're loaded literally from floor to ceiling with bags and one operator, so you may have to wait for a bit of a lull in the loading process, but I'm sure they can help.
Old 07-25-2008 at 09:57 PM   #23
katrinabell
Program: History and Linguistics

Liked: 19 Times
Alright thank you
Old 07-25-2008 at 11:37 PM   #24
ferreinm
Elite Member

Oh yeah, I forgot to note that IRC and Res-Life staff move in on August 17th
I'm so excited!!
Old 07-26-2008 at 08:40 AM   #25
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
Remember also reps to fill in your early move-in form once it comes available!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-29-2008 at 08:29 PM   #26
ferreinm
Elite Member

Also, when you move-in don't forget to bring a picture of you or else they won't give you your key.
Old 07-29-2008 at 09:26 PM   #27
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff
Program: English and Classics
Year: Third
Residence: Edwards

Liked: 23 Times
Reps are move-in machines I tell you! MOVE-IN MACHINES!

Old 07-30-2008 at 11:32 AM   #28
__lexington
Program: Communication Studies
Year: Second
Residence: SOCS

The residence package that is supposed to be sent out in the mail, is it specific to your residence? Or is it just a package with the Code of Conduct, and an emergency reminder card...and...a guide to...everything?
Old 07-30-2008 at 12:02 PM   #29
ferreinm
Elite Member

It's not specific to your residence. However, if you have questions about your residence you can speak to one of the staff or the IRC for information.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search